Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Aug 31, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #1,486 of 2,061
Economy would only let me get the 3100 bundle, but L700+353 is my plan for an end-game. Listened to the Omegas, and some of the world's best dynamics/planars, and I feel like the L700's resolution, clarity, transparency etc. Can't be matched without spending ridiculous amounts of $$.

Agree that a more dynamic, bass-powerful can is the way to complement the Stax, as that's the only point they're "lacking" imo. The Elear would be my #1 pick for this (I value the Elear over almost any other dynamic/planar for my tastes). I really wanted to keep both Elear and get a stax, but unfortunately my wallet disagreed. Some day...
Though I have not heard Elear or L300, it sounds like we have very similar tastes! Your plan sounds good to me.

I know Zeos is maligned frequently in these Forums, but I should point out my L700 and SRM-1 are the very same ones in his review video. And as far as my 3 amps are concerned, I agree with him.......252S is perfectly fine, SRM-1 is an audible step above, and 353X a further step above that.

We should take this Stax discussion to PMs if you wish, so as to not derail this fine thread :)

Aug 31, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #1,487 of 2,061
Aug 31, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #1,488 of 2,061
these are my favorite pads for the shp9500s (NVX angled pleather...same as the HM5 but plusher.)
I haven't ordered from this site, but this is a good price for these:
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/ite...um=paid&utm_campaign=criteoFB&utm_content=NVX
I also thought this would be the best but one of the posts say that they make shp9500 sound muffled and make bass bloaty.

I find bass on shp9500 recessive. How do these pads make bass worse?

I have 1 shp9500 and I want to get the best sound out of it. Basically I want a lot of more subbass, some midbass, a bit of upperbass. I do not need more mid. And lastly without changing highs extension and resolution, I would like them very little lower. Just a little bit that makes S or T sounds no more sibilant.

Given what I want, I thought pleather angled pads would be the best. Because they seal perfectly and increase bass quantity a lot.

Aug 31, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #1,489 of 2,061
I also thought this would be the best but one of the posts say that they make shp9500 sound muffled and make bass bloaty.

I have 1 shp9500 and I want to get the best sound out of it. Basically I want a lot of more subbass, some midbass, a bit of upperbass. I do not need more mid. And lastly without changing highs extension and resolution, I would like them very little lower. Just a little bit that makes S or T sounds no more sibilant.

Given what I want, I thought pleather angled pads would be the best. Because they seal perfectly and increase bass quantity a lot.
One persons "boomy and bloated" is another persons "just right"...think of it this way, some people are perfectly happy with the bass of the SHP9500s in stock form, while others call it sucked out, anemic etc ....it's all relative to what music you are listening to, what your prefer in terms of sound signature, what equipment you are comparing it to etc.I have seen people describe the sound of a headphone very negatively, and then I go look at their profile and the kind of music they listen to would sound like crap on the headphones they are crapping on so, take everything people say (including me) with a grain of salt unless you feel pretty confident that you trust that their perspective isn't skewed.....
....BUT If you want to increase bass the generally agreed upon pad is pleather. How firm, plush or angled you go is up to you, but a deeper pad in a leather or pleather is the way to go.

Sep 1, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #1,490 of 2,061

That's pretty much what I wanted from mine as well. I achieved it by using angled pleathers, which brought the bass up a lot and actually improved the soundstage a lot as well (especially soundstage depth). With the pad swap the treble got more tolerable, but still a little sibilant and harsh. I just use a little eq to tone down frequencies above 10k, as well as a big dip at around 7k because I found that mine had a big peak there. Now they sound way better than they should be allowed to do, considering their price lol.

Sep 4, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #1,491 of 2,061
Bought 3 3d printed rings for 20 dollars from a local dealer. Any pads recommendations, If I want a warm/neutral sound but want to maintain the sound stage depth? To be honest the bass is fine for me on the stock pads, it's just really tight.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #1,492 of 2,061
If you aren't looking to increase bass but you do want it to be a warmer sound I would go with either a velour or a hybrid. Velour will probably sound closest to stock, but pretty much any aftermarket pad you get will have deeper cups and denser foam which should give you the sound you want (I like Senitek because they are inexpensive so you can try different styles and not be out too much money)

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #1,494 of 2,061
Bought 3 3d printed rings for 20 dollars from a local dealer. Any pads recommendations, If I want a warm/neutral sound but want to maintain the sound stage depth? To be honest the bass is fine for me on the stock pads, it's just really tight.
I live in Ontario, Canada; I have looked on the Internet, but can't find the 3d adapter rings. Does your dealer sell Online? What is the name of your dealer?, if you don't mind me asking.

Sep 6, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #1,495 of 2,061
Last edited:
Sep 6, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #1,496 of 2,061
these are my favorite pads for the shp9500s (NVX angled pleather...same as the HM5 but plusher.)
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/ite...um=paid&utm_campaign=criteoFB&utm_content=NVX
Did you just pull the stock pads off and then stretch the new earpad right over the headphone housing; like I've seen in the youtube video for the hm5 pads? If so; did you have to cut a hole for the headphone plug to fit into the Jack?

Sep 6, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #1,497 of 2,061
Did you just pull the stock pads off and then stretch the new earpad right over the headphone housing; like I've seen in the youtube video for the hm5 pads? If so; did you have to cut a hole for the headphone plug to fit into the Jack?
Yeah, you just pop off the old pads and stretch the new ones over ...I just folded the edge down a little to accommodate the headphone jack
IMG_20170819_134506_230.jpg

Sep 6, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #1,500 of 2,061
Anyone who thinks their 9500s are too bright (I do, even with felt pads) should try UE Buffer Jack. I got mine for $10 shipped hoping to use it with Thinksound rain3 IEMs and Centrance DACmini CX (w the 1 Ohm mod) to get more useful volume control range and lower the noise floor. Didn't like how it sounded with the IEMs as the sound became more dull, but tried it with the 9500s and it felt just right, the brightness is gone and a lot of details are remaining without being in your face (I kept the felt pads), overall much smoother presentation now. I don't know if Buffer Jack is an impedance adapter or a voltage divider, but it is one of the 2 and it lowers the signal level a bit. I suspect the results can be amp dependent but it really helped in my case.
Link to the UE Buffer Jack please. Have tried but can not locate. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back