Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Aug 29, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #1,471 of 2,061
I never listened to my 9500 with the original pads. I slapped HM5's on as soon I got the headphones and never looked back. Better pads make tons of headphones sooooooo much better. Good pads aren't that expensive at all either. I do have several HM5s earpads from brainwavz, but I bought on those on sale for $13. Otherwise I've been buying Senitek for $13, Tranesca for $13 or something else for that price range. Under $15 is quite doable for some much nicer pads that most headphones need. Even more expensive headphones can do better in sound and comfort with a pad swap. I only have a few headphones with the original stock pads on them. The PM3, UE 6000, EMU Ebony, and DIZA100 are the only cans I have with stock pads for various reasons.

I was using my 9500 as my daily can for awhile, but felt like the others HPs I have needed some love. I'll be back to them though. Actually, just put them on now so sooner that I thought.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #1,472 of 2,061
I never listened to my 9500 with the original pads. I slapped HM5's on as soon i got the headphones and never looked back. Better pads make tons of headphones soo much better. And good pads arent that expensive at all. I have actual HM5s from brainwavz, but I bought on sales for $13. Otherwise I've been buying Senitek for $13 or Tranesca for $13 or something else for that price range. Under $15 is quite doable for some much nicer pads that most headphones need. Even more expensive headphones can use them. Only have a few headphones with the original stock pads on them. PM3, UE 6000, EMU Ebony, and DIZA100 are it for stock pads.

I was using my 9500 as my daily can for awhile, but felt like the others cans I have needed some love. I'll be back to them though.
I believe I listened to them in stock form about 4 minutes longer than you did then. :wink:
The only headphone I have had that I liked the stock pads were the NVX SPT100 angeled...those are about as perfect as it gets, and the Fidelio L2...but even the Fidelios, I use HM5 Hybrids and the Fidelio pads are on the Sony MDR 7506, which is a GENIUS swap. ( In fact ANY smaller over ear I have put the Fidelio pads on, they sound better. )
As good as the stock Fidelio pads are I like the way the L2s fit and sound better with the HM5 Hybrids. That was an eye opener for me because it seems like ANY headphone you get unless you feel they are perfect, it's worth it to try different pads

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #1,473 of 2,061
I never listened to my 9500 with the original pads. I slapped HM5's on as soon I got the headphones and never looked back. Better pads make tons of headphones sooooooo much better. Good pads aren't that expensive at all either. I do have several HM5s earpads from brainwavz, but I bought on those on sale for $13. Otherwise I've been buying Senitek for $13, Tranesca for $13 or something else for that price range. Under $15 is quite doable for some much nicer pads that most headphones need. Even more expensive headphones can do better in sound and comfort with a pad swap. I only have a few headphones with the original stock pads on them. The PM3, UE 6000, EMU Ebony, and DIZA100 are the only cans I have with stock pads for various reasons.

I was using my 9500 as my daily can for awhile, but felt like the others HPs I have needed some love. I'll be back to them though. Actually, just put them on now so sooner that I thought.

I'm looking forward to your impressions of the Fidelio X2 compared to the 9500s with HM5 pads

Aug 29, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #1,474 of 2,061
The SHP's have pretty much collected dust while I've owned HD650, Nighthawk, Isine 20, Elear, and done lots of demo's. I recently sold my last pair of cans, Elear, to get a Stax system, and while I'm waiting for the Stax I've been using the SHP's.
In stock form I feel like they have an ok+ soundstage width but zero depth/vertical. Tonality is too bright for me, sounds fake-detailed and grainy, bass is too light. Great sounding for the price you pay, but my spoiled ears could barely enjoy listening to them.

Then I tried putting on some HM5 pads I had laying around (flat velour and angled pleather), and boy what a difference!
First I tried the flat velours, since they were the most similar to the stock pads. The velours brought some soundstage depth and also improved the width ever so slightly. The biggest change was the tonality, they've warmed up and is now quite pleasing to listen to out of a pretty warm amp (Marantz PM5005).

Next I tried the angled pleathers, and I was rather sceptical. Changing both pad material and shape so drastically is usually not a great idea, but I tried anyway:
Holy s**t what happened! These sound so much better now!!
Soundstage is expanded A LOT, both in width and especially in depth. On this point they're not far off, and maybe on par with, the Elear. Tonality is much more to my liking, pretty balanced with a dark tilt. Bass is powerful, mids are a little sucked-out unfortunately, highs are way less strident. They don't sound particularly grainy or "fake-detailed" to me anymore, just really pleasing. Overall, I think these could match my old HD650's (just going from memory). The overall quality (resolution, balance, dynamics etc.) isn't up to the level of the Elear, but the fact that they're 1/10 of the price (including pads) is insane. Comfort has gone up a lot too.

Welcome to the brotherhood. Now, pair it with a $39 Fiio K1 amp/dac, for some reason it pairs like heaven with the shp9500. I have been using SHP9500 with hm5 leather for ages now, and tried it on $500 amp/dac combos, but for some reason the Fiio K1 was made for this can. side note the k1 sounds like crap on most other headphones lol.

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #1,475 of 2,061
I usually just have one or two pairs of high-end cans + 1 pair of speakers, instead of a lot of cans. With most high-end cans I've found that they're tuned to sound optimal with the stock pads. Seems like that isn't always the case with lower-end cans, because the upgrade here is pretty extreme.

Swapping the pads was not 100% straight-forward though, having to tear off the stock pads and pull off the ring. Took around 10 minutes, but well worth both the time and money for new pads. I actually have a pair of ZMF sheepskin pads on the way for my Stax, if I don't like the pairing I might try and put them on the SHP.

Tonality with the angled HM5 has changed so much, I'm not using my Marantz amp anymore to warm up the sound. Driving them straight from my super-transparent Chord Hugo. Sounds pretty great.

Aug 30, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #1,476 of 2,061
I usually just have one or two pairs of high-end cans + 1 pair of speakers, instead of a lot of cans. With most high-end cans I've found that they're tuned to sound optimal with the stock pads. Seems like that isn't always the case with lower-end cans, because the upgrade here is pretty extreme.

Swapping the pads was not 100% straight-forward though, having to tear off the stock pads and pull off the ring. Took around 10 minutes, but well worth both the time and money for new pads. I actually have a pair of ZMF sheepskin pads on the way for my Stax, if I don't like the pairing I might try and put them on the SHP.

Tonality with the angled HM5 has changed so much, I'm not using my Marantz amp anymore to warm up the sound. Driving them straight from my super-transparent Chord Hugo. Sounds pretty great.
You don't have to use the rings from the original pads...you can just pop off the rings, pads and all and then pull the new pads over the outer ring of the headphone...pulling out the rings and all that is just an extra step...you already did all that so, obviously this isn't for you...but if anyone else wants to do the mod, you don't have to destroy the original pads.........I just did it because I hated them. :wink:

Aug 30, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #1,477 of 2,061
You don't have to use the rings from the original pads...you can just pop off the rings, pads and all and then pull the new pads over the outer ring of the headphone...pulling out the rings and all that is just an extra step...you already did all that so, obviously this isn't for you...but if anyone else wants to do the mod, you don't have to destroy the original pads.........I just did it because I hated them. :wink:
Yeah that's what I did, sorry if I explained it poorly. I just had to tear off the stock pads first to access the clips that hold the big ring in place. Don't know if it's necessary to get the ring off, but seemed easier to me. I've seen people stretch the HM5's over the big ring too, but seemed like too much of a struggle to me. Only downside is that the cans look a bit silly with the pads stretched all the way around, and covering the 3.5mm hole, but I don't care too much. I never really detach the cable either, so it isn't really a problem.

Aug 30, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #1,478 of 2,061
Nah just pull with a bit of manly force and the whole assembly pops off. Then you can just wrap HM5s around the housing and give em a test.

Aug 30, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #1,479 of 2,061
Nah just pull with a bit of manly force and the whole assembly pops off. Then you can just wrap HM5s around the housing and give em a test.
huh, should've known that yesterday. Was afraid of applying too much force, the plastic parts feel a little fragile :p Anyway, really happy I tried swapping pads, will be interesting to see how they do with the ZMF pads I'm waiting for.

Aug 30, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #1,481 of 2,061
Which pad is the best for SHP9500s?
I have tried NVX pleather, HM5 hybrid and Senitek cloth and of the three styles I prefer the pleather....but it's personal taste obviously

Aug 31, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #1,483 of 2,061
Which pad is the best for SHP9500s?

For me it's Shure 1840 pads with custom in pad attenuator - clearer, more detailed sound across the entire frequency range with enhanced bass. Very natural but slightly better sound than stock. The Shure 1540's pads with attenuator are more bassy, but also require removing the foam backing on the cloth driver cover to remove a sleight veil they give stock plus some dampening to calm down the highs just a tad. Without attenuators the 1540 is less bassy than stock and the 1840's.

Don't like the HM5 Hybrids much, less comfortable than Shure 1540 and 1840 pads and bass sounds too muffled/boomy - noticeably worse than stock. Shure 1540 with attenuator is much better in bass though the highs need a little correction/dampening. HM5 Hybrids are pretty 'bleh' sounding in comparison. Have not tried any leather/pleather pads because I'm looking fo my SHP9500s to be comfortable, long headtime gaming cans...already have modded TH-X00 PH and M1060 for higher end bass heavy cans that do most everything better than the SHP9500 other than comfort. Next to the HD700, the modded SHP9500S (Shure pads and MrSpeakers leather strap) are one of the most comfortable cans to wear.

SHURE 1540
i-NNhTSL7-X4.jpg

SHURE 1840
i-gKv4nG4.jpg

CLOCKWISE FROM TOP: SHURE 1840, HM5 HYBRID, STOCK SHP9500S. EXAMPLE OF THE ATTENUATORS SHOWN IN THE MIDDLE.
i-jRHqW6z.jpg

Aug 31, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #1,484 of 2,061
The SHP's have pretty much collected dust while I've owned HD650, Nighthawk, Isine 20, Elear, and done lots of demo's. I recently sold my last pair of cans, Elear, to get a Stax system, and while I'm waiting for the Stax I've been using the SHP's.
In stock form I feel like they have an ok+ soundstage width but zero depth/vertical. Tonality is too bright for me, sounds fake-detailed and grainy, bass is too light. Great sounding for the price you pay, but my spoiled ears could barely enjoy listening to them.

Then I tried putting on some HM5 pads I had laying around (flat velour and angled pleather), and boy what a difference!
First I tried the flat velours, since they were the most similar to the stock pads. The velours brought some soundstage depth and also improved the width ever so slightly. The biggest change was the tonality, they've warmed up and is now quite pleasing to listen to out of a pretty warm amp (Marantz PM5005).

Next I tried the angled pleathers, and I was rather sceptical. Changing both pad material and shape so drastically is usually not a great idea, but I tried anyway:
Holy s**t what happened! These sound so much better now!!
Soundstage is expanded A LOT, both in width and especially in depth. On this point they're not far off, and maybe on par with, the Elear. Tonality is much more to my liking, pretty balanced with a dark tilt. Bass is powerful, mids are a little sucked-out unfortunately, highs are way less strident. They don't sound particularly grainy or "fake-detailed" to me anymore, just really pleasing. Overall, I think these could match my old HD650's (just going from memory). The overall quality (resolution, balance, dynamics etc.) isn't up to the level of the Elear, but the fact that they're 1/10 of the price (including pads) is insane. Comfort has gone up a lot too.
Which Stax did you go with? I have a 252S amp, SR207 + SRM-1 Mk2 amp, and L700 + 353X amp. At least for me, Stax is the ultimate experience and I feel not even the slightest urge to look beyond my L700's :)

I do consider my Stax in the Neutral/Natural vein, and find it prudent to pair a good-quality "fun" bass-heavy can with them as well. X00 Purpleheart with Lawton Tune-Up and ZMF pads is my current pick in that department.

I haven't listened to my SHP's in quite a long time >.< Last I remember, they had Alpha pads on them.

Aug 31, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #1,485 of 2,061
Which Stax did you go with? I have a 252S amp, SR207 + SRM-1 Mk2 amp, and L700 + 353X amp. At least for me, Stax is the ultimate experience and I feel not even the slightest urge to look beyond my L700's :)

I do consider my Stax in the Neutral/Natural vein, and find it prudent to pair a good-quality "fun" bass-heavy can with them as well. X00 Purpleheart with Lawton Tune-Up and ZMF pads is my current pick in that department.

I haven't listened to my SHP's in quite a long time >.< Last I remember, they had Alpha pads on them.
Economy would only let me get the 3100 bundle, but L700+353 is my plan for an end-game. Listened to the Omegas, and some of the world's best dynamics/planars, and I feel like the L700's resolution, clarity, transparency etc. Can't be matched without spending ridiculous amounts of $$.

Agree that a more dynamic, bass-powerful can is the way to complement the Stax, as that's the only point they're "lacking" imo. The Elear would be my #1 pick for this (I value the Elear over almost any other dynamic/planar for my tastes). I really wanted to keep both Elear and get a stax, but unfortunately my wallet disagreed. Some day...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back