Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Jul 5, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #1,411 of 2,061
but yes the shp9500 with hm5 leather, sounds better to me than HD650 :D

have you done a side by side comparison? I have the SHPs with leather pads and a Fiio A3 for bass boost and I would be curious how the sound rivals the HD line of headphones. I think most people would say the Senns are 'better' but....my question is, "Really? By how much?"
From what I have read it's a pretty close comparison between the two in STOCK form, with the HDs having a little bit bigger soundstage, better bass response etc.....
But even with just the pad mod, I'd be curious how the two stack up.
I'd like to avoid getting a set of the Senns and feeling meh about the difference. If the SHP 9500s are idk, 90% as good as an HD600? I can go ahead and waste my money on a tube amp or some fun bass cannons or something. :wink:

Jul 5, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #1,412 of 2,061
I'm sorry you waited 2 years. I agree with you, I think nearly every SHP owner would be happier with this upgrade. I have the NVX version of the Brainwavz pads which are a little softer.
I seriously can't even read most of the reviews on these anymore because they aren't the same headphone with the stock pads... bass is massively improved, the overall sound sort of 'tightens up' It's as if the original pads allow TOO MUCH air in and out, but the leather pads sort of gather things together and focus the image the headphones are trying to present.

I knew the adaptors pop right off but for my particular pair of 100mm pads they were too loose without the ring adaptors. Since the fabric was wearing off I said fcuk it why not, and killed them with a knife.

Best decision ever.

Hamster

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #1,413 of 2,061
Adding leather pads completely turns around the sound signature. I personally thought they became way too bassy, but to each their own.

The HD 6x0 series of cans still have much better midrange and I found clarity to be better than the SHP9500 in both stock and HM5-pleathered form. However, I will continue to respect SHP9500 for their excellent price-performance.

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #1,414 of 2,061
Adding leather pads completely turns around the sound signature. I personally thought they became way too bassy, but to each their own.

it's interesting you say that because I can imagine for certain types of music (ie anything detailed, bright, orchestral, requiring a lot of 'space', or complicated etc.) it wouldn't be preferred.
But for me? It's the difference between the kick drum on a Black Keys song sounding like a dullish thud, (almost like a box being struck), to a whomping 'round' kickdrum thump.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #1,415 of 2,061

The HD 6x0 series of cans still have much better midrange and I found clarity to be better than the SHP9500 in both stock and HM5-pleathered form. However, I will continue to respect SHP9500 for their excellent price-performance.

I can understand that critique of it. I know when I had a Vali 2 amp and Modi Multibit DAC and a high end tube, forget which one... the SHP9500 was one of the most perfect cans I had ever heard, the clarity improved... which seemed to be your main problem with it... also it has a unique imaging/sound stage factor I have not found in any other can... lol I love it and always will. My go to cans these days are monolith m560 with shure 1540 alcantara earpads. :)

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #1,418 of 2,061
uVnQZ6um.jpg

got both shure1540 and HM5 sheepskin, the 1540 def is less warm. The sheepskin at first is nice and cold but after 10 mins it absorbs all the heat and keeps it there. It is a shame because the sheepskin looks so cool. If they ever make a perforated sheepskin it would be worth a try.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #1,419 of 2,061
uVnQZ6um.jpg

got both shure1540 and HM5 sheepskin, the 1540 def is less warm. The sheepskin at first is nice and cold but after 10 mins it absorbs all the heat and keeps it there. It is a shame because the sheepskin looks so cool. If they ever make a perforated sheepskin it would be worth a try.

Does the low end sound a little better with the 1540's? It should, also alcantara doesn't get hot either, very comfy for long sessions, i like them a lot on my 1540s, but sometimes i switch them for hm5 pleather, never owned sheepskin

Jul 19, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #1,420 of 2,061
Does the low end sound a little better with the 1540's? It should, also alcantara doesn't get hot either, very comfy for long sessions, i like them a lot on my 1540s, but sometimes i switch them for hm5 pleather, never owned sheepskin

It loses low end unless you make some custom attenuators to put inside the pads, it's most excellent with attenuators (much better than the HM5 Hybrid pads). It also sounds slightly veiled compared to the stock pads. You can get rid of the veil by removing the foam on the back of the fabric, will have slight accenutated highs though. I like the Shure 1840 pads better - has more balanced and detailed sound with almost the same level of bass, very much similar comfort level, and you don't have to remove the rear foam as no slight veil.

i-jRHqW6z.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back