Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Mar 11, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #1,366 of 2,061
So this whole thing about SHP9500 v K7xx making me very uncomfortable as I will receive my 9500s tomorrow and I have a K7xx sitting brand new in the box that I totally impulse bought on the first day of the drop. I don't have any Dac/amp so was planning to sell them after massdrop stoped but now....

Why uncomfortable? Just take a good month or two to compare the two...you'll either love one or the other OR maybe like them both - all depends on what you like to hear a headphone reproduce. Everyone hears sound differently, you need to listen to both to see what works for you. If one doesn't work, then you can sell it and try something else...

With out any amp I am somehow certain that I will not like the k7xx.
I am dead set on buying Chord Mojo which I wouldn't have till next month at least. I am very new to this whole thing, my first ever headphone was HD598cs, which I had to sell because I couldn't hear my wife and children when playing anything.

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #1,367 of 2,061
I got my 9500's a week ago , like new , only used twice , for $40 . I subbed the stock cable for an aftermarket 10 ft braided fiber cable . IF there is a fault , it is that they are a tiny bit too bright , but that is easily fixed with eq . To me , my 9500's have the right amount of bass (it's nice & tight , reaches down when the song calls for it . It's not overwhelming , & doesn't color the mids & highs) , mids are really good , the highs , other than the aforementioned , sound excellent ! As soon as I can , I intend to mod the ear pads(probably HM5 velour or Sure 1540 velour) . There's a light clamp , it feels like my 9500's are a part of my head , if that makes any sense . To draw a comparison , I compared my 9500's to my HD598 SE's . I preface this by saying there is nothing wrong with my 598 SE's . To me , my 9500's are a step above in pretty much everything , except for maybe sound stage . My 598 SE'S have a bit of an edge there , but not much . I've yet to game with my 9500's , but if they sound this good on music , then I'm sure that gaming will be just as good . Matter of fact , I'd probably not lose a whole lot of sleep if my 598 SE's stay put up . For just $45 (aftermarket cable included) , I'd say my 9500's are one of the best sounding headphones I've heard so far .

Just for reference , I listen to mostly classic rock , hard rock ,  & metal , some country , classical , oldies . Precious little else . My headphones run through my speaker's control pod (Boston Acoustics BA7900 . I could drive a set of Superlux HD330 , & DT990 Pro's quite comfortably ) in to my sound card (Asus Xonar D2) .

Mar 11, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #1,368 of 2,061
The Shure 1540 pads are alcantara not velour and do ok on the SHP9500 IF you remove the foam backing. Without the foam backing removed they loose too much clarity, have a too veiled a sound. The sound with the 1540 pads is a little darker than stock and some bass is lost, didn't really like the change even though it wasn't bad sounding and an increase in comfort. The Shure 1840 are completely different story (and half the price!) and much more suit the SHP9500 sound (I have not heard with stock 1840 pads, I defoamed them before putting them on the SHP9500 based on my experience with the 1540 pads). Highs will be even more detailed and pronounced than stock, so some abatement/filtering was required to tame them some (one ply of toilet paper worked for me), but the mids are more detailed, and bass is both brought out more and fuller in range. I want to get a second pair of 1840 pads and leave them stock to see how they compare to the defoamed ones.

Shure 1540 pads:
i-NNhTSL7-X4.jpg

Shure 1840 pads:
i-QwcDLz9.jpg

Mar 11, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #1,369 of 2,061
  The Shure 1540 pads are alcantara not velour and do ok on the SHP9500 IF you remove the foam backing. Without the foam backing removed they loose too much clarity, have a too veiled a sound. The sound with the 1540 pads is a little darker than stock and some bass is lost, didn't really like the change even though it wasn't bad sounding and an increase in comfort. The Shure 1840 are completely different story (and half the price!) and much more suit the SHP9500 sound (I have not heard with stock 1840 pads, I defoamed them before putting them on the SHP9500 based on my experience with the 1540 pads). Highs will be even more detailed and pronounced than stock, so some abatement/filtering was required to tame them some (one ply of toilet paper worked for me), but the mids are more detailed, and bass is both brought out more and fuller in range. I want to get a second pair of 1840 pads and leave them stock to see how they compare to the defoamed ones.

Shure 1540 pads:
i-NNhTSL7-X4.jpg

Shure 1840 pads:
i-QwcDLz9.jpg

Thanks for the info ! I've bookmarked a set of the Shure 1840 pads , just $24 . I may pick them up this coming weekend if I can . When the time comes , I will remove the stock pads , & use the stock mounting for the new pads . Other than the cable , I've used a Sharpie on the grills . I've also heard of the ATH-AD700/900/1000X pads . Until the time comes , I'll just continue to enjoy my 9500's just the way they are !!

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #1,370 of 2,061
I've had a little over a week with SHP9500's with the HM5 velour pads and I really like what those pads do to these headphones.  I liked it so much I ordered another SHP9500 so I can put the HM5 pleather pads on those.  

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #1,371 of 2,061
  I've had a little over a week with SHP9500's with the HM5 velour pads and I really like what those pads do to these headphones.  I liked it so much I ordered another SHP9500 so I can put the HM5 pleather pads on those.  

What , in your experience , have the HM5 velours done for your first pair ? I'm leaning to the Shure 1840 pads , but I'd be foolish to not keep my options open .

Mar 11, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #1,372 of 2,061

What , in your experience , have the HM5 velours done for your first pair ? I'm leaning to the Shure 1840 pads , but I'd be foolish to not keep my options open 

What , in your experience , have the HM5 velours done for your first pair ? I'm leaning to the Shure 1840 pads , but I'd be foolish to not keep my options open .

The velours tamed down the brightness and increased the bass.  They sound more balanced.  Comfort wise they don't move around on my head any longer.  Increased clamp slightly, the pads are are a little deeper so they hold on to your ears better than the stock pads.  

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #1,375 of 2,061

The velours tamed down the brightness and increased the bass.  They sound more balanced.  Comfort wise they don't move around on my head any longer.  Increased clamp slightly, the pads are are a little deeper so they hold on to your ears better than the stock pads.  

Got it . The HM5 velours are about $5 more than the Shure pads , will keep watch on those also .

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #1,377 of 2,061
In order to change the pads, do I just need to rip them off from the glue?
I mean it's a sheer force thing or a blade and such necessary?

Well that sort of depends on how permanent you want the mod to be.  You have a couple choices;

1.  The stock pads just pull off.  The stock pads are glued to a mounting ring, which just snap off the headphones. The pads are mounted to the plastic ring with glue.  You can then just mount the pads over the driver housing.  This leaves your stock pads with their mounting ring if in the future you decide to return them to stock.

2.  There are 3D printed rings available that just snap onto the headphones after you have removed the stock pads.  This gives you a bit of a lip around the driver to the pads are less likely to slip off.  This is how I have my HM5 velour pads mounted currently.

3.  You can remove the mounting ring from the stock pads and mount new pads to the stock mounting ring.  This is pretty much irreversible. This youtube video shows you this method, but also shows how the stock pads just snap off.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW2txDV5UNQ

If you are using HM5 pads, take your time and stretch them out before you mount them.  I little bit of heat from a hair dryer works to loosen them up.

Mar 13, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #1,379 of 2,061
Shp9500s is the same headphone. It just requires a good amount of force.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back