Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Mar 5, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #1,337 of 2,061
  Can someone refer me to where I can purchase some pad rings from? Thanks

Modhouse Audio has them listed on their website again;

http://www.modhouseaudio.com/shp9500_adapter_rings/

A couple weeks ago they were listed as out of stock.

I found a person locally on Kijiji (a Craigslist type website) to print them for me.  

Here is a link to the 3D print file;

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1080440

Take a look in your local classified ads.  You may find someone able to print them for you for a few bucks.  I paid $20 for three pairs.

I don't think the rings are an absolute requirement.  The Brainwavz pads should still stay in place without the rings.  

Mar 5, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #1,338 of 2,061
Hi all, I am planning to buy this and I was wondering which one to go with. SHP9500 from amazon for $68.30 or SHP9500s from newegg for $55.
Also is the whole glue issue solved? what should I expect on that front?  

Mar 5, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #1,339 of 2,061
Quote:
  Hi all, I am planning to buy this and I was wondering which one to go with. SHP9500 from amazon for $68.30 or SHP9500s from newegg for $55.

I've read that the only difference between the two is the cable. Get the one from Newegg.

Quote:

Modhouse Audio has them listed on their website again;

http://www.modhouseaudio.com/shp9500_adapter_rings/

A couple weeks ago they were listed as out of stock.

I found a person locally on Kijiji (a Craigslist type website) to print them for me.  

Here is a link to the 3D print file;

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1080440

Take a look in your local classified ads.  You may find someone able to print them for you for a few bucks.  I paid $20 for three pairs.

I don't think the rings are an absolute requirement.  The Brainwavz pads should still stay in place without the rings.  

Thanks a bunch! 
beerchug.gif

Mar 5, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #1,340 of 2,061

The headphones themselves are the same,  Just a shorter cable and no 1/4" adapter.

Regarding glue issue, the SHP9500 never had that issue.  I'm pretty sure it was just the Fidelio X2, and even so it's so long ago that it's not really an issue if you're buying new.

Mar 5, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #1,341 of 2,061
 I've read that the only difference between the two is the cable. Get the one from Newegg

The headphones themselves are the same,  Just a shorter cable and no 1/4" adapter.

Regarding glue issue, the SHP9500 never had that issue.  I'm pretty sure it was just the Fidelio X2, and even so it's so long ago that it's not really an issue if you're buying new.

Thanks guys

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #1,343 of 2,061
9500 is good for it's price range but IMO it doesn't compete with the $200 cans

Mar 6, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #1,344 of 2,061
  If the cost difference was a non-issue would you choose the 9500 or x2?     Gaming + reggae/dub(not the electronic dubsep, but pacific style) music

Had the 9500, and while it was a good value for its price, it didn't fit my tastes in music very well, being too bright for me, not to mention the annoying loose fit.  I have the X2 now, and they are easily my favorite headphones.  So one more vote for you in favor of the X2.

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #1,346 of 2,061
Any owners of SHP9500 and K7XX here? If yes, kindly share your observations regarding sound quality. I own SHP9500 and thinking of getting K7XX. 

While the 9500 is superb for its price, the K7XX is leagues above it. I wrote a review a couple years back if you want to check it out.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k7xx/reviews/12661

No longer own it, though. That was replaced with the 400i. I did just buy a 9500 for the second time because it really is a steal for its price and fits my cost effective gaming needs. I'll be writing a review for it in the next couple weeks.

Mar 7, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #1,347 of 2,061
Code:
Any owners of SHP9500 and K7XX here? If yes, kindly share your observations regarding sound quality. I own SHP9500 and thinking of getting K7XX. 

I did not care for the AKG K7XX at all, like the SHP9500 better in every way and when modded they are just as comfortable as the K7XX. The AKG was just too muffled sounding and a little too rolled off in the highs, the SHP9500 is more precise and clear across the whole frequency range with better mid presence and high detail. Not much real difference I can remember between bass extension and impact between them, but again, the bass detail and speed I would give to the SHP9500. To me, the ONLY thing the AKG K7XX does better than the SHP9500 is stay in position on you head...the mechanism is very clever and nice on it and it is a very lightweight headphone.

Was very dissapointed with the K7XX, getting the SHP9500 shortly after the K7XX just put the nail in the coffin for the K7XX...instantly in love with the sound of the $60 headphone - the popularity of the $200 AKG was baffling me. This is with both being compared directly against each other using a Samsung TAB S2 running USB Audio Player PRO with Audioquest DragonFly Red headphone DAC/amp. Going to SACD player connected to Meier Audio JAZZ-ff headphone amp didn't change anything either....K7XX still was lacking some in detail, too laid back in the mids, and muffled sounding while K7XX is extremely clear full spectrum, great mid signature, and more detailed in the highs. And with Shure 1840 pads (with backing foam removed) on the SHP9500 the bass is REALLY nice....very much has qualities of the Fostex TH-X00 Purplehearts, but less impact of course. Love the bass on the SHP9500 with jazz and some EDM/Electronic music, not overpowering but still has a good presence yet is very precise and articulate.

A track that immediately comes to mind for showcasing the SHP9500 is Hiroko Kokubu's version of 'Tico Tico' from her New York Uncovered album...an XRCD24 rip to FLAC is a wonderful thing.

If I wanted to get another open 'headphone' I might as well make it a very decent upgrade and get a STAX Lamda SR-L500 with basic SRM-252S energizer...

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #1,348 of 2,061
  Code:
Code:

I did not care for the AKG K7XX at all, like the SHP9500 better in every way and when modded they are just as comfortable as the K7XX. The AKG was just too muffled sounding and a little too rolled off in the highs, the SHP9500 is more precise and clear across the whole frequency range with better mid presence and high detail. Not much real difference I can remember between bass extension and impact between them, but again, the bass detail and speed I would give to the SHP9500. To me, the ONLY thing the AKG K7XX does better than the SHP9500 is stay in position on you head...the mechanism is very clever and nice on it and it is a very lightweight headphone.

Was very dissapointed with the K7XX, getting the SHP9500 shortly after the K7XX just put the nail in the coffin for the K7XX...instantly in love with the sound of the $60 headphone - the popularity of the $200 AKG was baffling me. This is with both being compared directly against each other using a Samsung TAB S2 running USB Audio Player PRO with Audioquest DragonFly Red headphone DAC/amp. Going to SACD player connected to Meier Audio JAZZ-ff headphone amp didn't change anything either....K7XX still was lacking some in detail, too laid back in the mids, and muffled sounding while K7XX is extremely clear full spectrum, great mid signature, and more detailed in the highs. And with Shure 1840 pads (with backing foam removed) on the SHP9500 the bass is REALLY nice....very much has qualities of the Fostex TH-X00 Purplehearts, but less impact of course. Love the bass on the SHP9500 with jazz and some EDM/Electronic music, not overpowering but still has a good presence yet is very precise and articulate.

A track that immediately comes to mind for showcasing the SHP9500 is Hiroko Kokubu's version of 'Tico Tico' from her New York Uncovered album...an XRCD24 rip to FLAC is a wonderful thing.

If I wanted to get another open 'headphone' I might as well make it a very decent upgrade and get a STAX Lamda SR-L500 with basic SRM-252S energizer...

Many thanks VR for sharing your experience with both HPs.

Yes, I was tempted to buy K7XX based on online popularity/hype but you have put things in perspective and saved my money.  

I will stick to SHP9500. 

A clarification: Did you mean SHP9500 in this sentence - "while K7XX is extremely clear full spectrum, great mid signature, and more detailed in the highs." 

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #1,349 of 2,061
Code:

I respectfully disagree in regards to the 9500 being better than the K7XX in sound quality. I had both side by side for a good while, just not at the time I wrote my K7XX review. While the 9500 may be more present in the mids and highs, it is still a less refined headphone. Also, the K7XX was not tuned to be a bright headphone (as the 9500 is). A fairer comparison in regards to sound signature would be with AKG's K702 or Q701 (also leagues above the 9500). What you describe seems like pure frequency preference rather than quality.

And as for the bass having the quality of Fostex, that's quite a bit of a reach. I also had Shure 1840 pads on mine and, while the bass was great and nicely present, it was NOT anywhere close to the quality of the TH-X00. Mind you, this is quality I'm referring to... not quantity.

Many thanks VR for sharing your experience with both HPs.

Yes, I was tempted to buy K7XX based on online popularity/hype but you have put things in perspective and saved my money.  

I will stick to SHP9500. 

A clarification: Did you mean SHP9500 in this sentence - "while K7XX is extremely clear full spectrum, great mid signature, and more detailed in the highs." 

If you want an upgrade in the K7XX price range but with more present mids and highs than the those I'd suggest reading up on the HE-400i. Mind you, that comes at the expense of a flatter (yet still good) bass response. They go for around $250 brand new these days.

Mar 7, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #1,350 of 2,061
While the 9500 is superb for its price, the K7XX is leagues above it. I wrote a review a couple years back if you want to check it out.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k7xx/reviews/12661

No longer own it, though. That was replaced with the 400i. I did just buy a 9500 for the second time because it really is a steal for its price and fits my cost effective gaming needs. I'll be writing a review for it in the next couple weeks.

Looking forward to your review of SHP9500 and perhaps you could do some comparisons with K7xx and 400i in that review. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back