Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Jan 9, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #1,261 of 2,061
At the end of the day, it's a inexpensively priced little bit of bliss. All the subjective language aside they sound way better than they probably should for the money. There's lots of other adjectives one could use to describe them but it's just good man. I'm listening to mine right now; Jason Isbell and the 400 unit. Lots going on in this very textured music and couldn't be I more pleased. The more I listen through them; the more I'm convinced I could be content listening to this second hand CD player and amp through these headphones as long as there was a steady supply of music this well written and produced.

Jan 9, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #1,262 of 2,061
The philips shp9500 really needs aftermarket ear pads to make them truly great. With a simple hm5 pad, the comfort and fit improved greatly, no longer does it fall off my head from just turning my head around. The sound also improved, especially tuning down the silibance and increase mid bass slightly. Pair it with a vmoda boom pro, you have a killer open back headset

Yeah it would make a superb gaming headset better than those crappy sub hundred gaming ones

At the end of the day, it's a inexpensively priced little bit of bliss. All the subjective language aside they sound way better than they probably should for the money. There's lots of other adjectives one could use to describe them but it's just good man. I'm listening to mine right now; Jason Isbell and the 400 unit. Lots going on in this very textured music and couldn't be I more pleased. The more I listen through them; the more I'm convinced I could be content listening to this second hand CD player and amp through these headphones as long as there was a steady supply of music this well written and produced.

Another cheap but wonderful closed value for those who appreciate flat neutral is dt660.32 79$ at focus camera free shipping.

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #1,263 of 2,061
I've been halfheartedly looking around for a closed set for use while the family watches television. I've done nothing more than just look as it seems the bass could really overpower the rest of the range in closed. I like what comes through the philips. I know there's going to have to be some compromise but loose bass doesn't want appeal. Also, back to the pad discussion, I'm looking to change out the pads on mine, for me; these pads really are quite warm and sweat collects. What's good for keeping it a little cooler without changing sig too much?

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #1,264 of 2,061
I've been halfheartedly looking around for a closed set for use while the family watches television. I've done nothing more than just look as it seems the bass could really overpower the rest of the range in closed. I like what comes through the philips. I know there's going to have to be some compromise but loose bass doesn't want appeal. Also, back to the pad discussion, I'm looking to change out the pads on mine, for me; these pads really are quite warm and sweat collects. What's good for keeping it a little cooler without changing sig too much?

990v pads I found super comfy and didn't sweat as much but not sure why

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #1,265 of 2,061
can anyone point me in the direction of Philips SHP9500 vs. Philips SHP9500(S emphasized).  The S model is being sold on Newegg for cheaper than can be found on amazon.  it's probably already discussed can someone just link me to the discussion.  thanks.  my Philips SHP9500S's will be here tomorrow

Jan 10, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #1,266 of 2,061
Pretty sure the only difference is packaging, shorter cable, and no 1/4" adapter. Although I haven't seen any direct comparisons yet.

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #1,267 of 2,061
  can anyone point me in the direction of Philips SHP9500 vs. Philips SHP9500(S emphasized).  The S model is being sold on Newegg for cheaper than can be found on amazon.  it's probably already discussed can someone just link me to the discussion.  thanks.  my Philips SHP9500S's will be here tomorrow

http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?40437-Difference-between-SHP9500-and-SHP9500S

I can confirm that the two models are identical.

Jan 15, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #1,269 of 2,061
  I just got a pair from the Newegg sale.

Heck of a nice headphone for under $60.

I got em thinking they would run out of stock lol

There must be an unlimited supply!
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #1,270 of 2,061
ive had mines for about 5 or so months now and i must admit that for the money spent its one hell of a pair of headphones. i think ill be keeping these for a long time. i was thinking about buying more headphones but these made me take a step back on that. they stay on my head constantly. i love the way they sound. to me they even get better with time. i put alpha pads on them and the bass has gotten deeper and the highs have come down just a tiny bit and the soundstage has gotten a bit wider and im in love with the way they sound. i listen to them connected straight to a google chromecast audio and a small nx1 amplifier connected to a battery pack. to those that say these headphones dont have bass i just dont understand. the bass is there its just not overdone. it comes out when the proper songs call for it.. i know that someday ill probably end up buying the senn 800s to be my end all be all headphones but for now im amazingly happy with my shp9500 and ill keep putting money away in the piggy bank. 

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #1,271 of 2,061
So I intslalled a pair of angled brainwavz pads on mine this afternoon. Pleather, I think and steel blue-ish. Amazon didn't have the black at the time but I like the color. I had bought the 3-D printed adapters for them but looking at the mounting plate on the stock pads I saw no reason why they couldn't be finessed around them. While nerve wracking to just start ripping away padding that had been glued on, all came together pretty well and they certainly look nicer to me than the stock pads. I can't say there's much change sonically; maybe just a hair more sound stage. Maybe. A smaller maybe is the bass is a sliver more forward but not boomy and not at all unpleasant. I have to say they feel more comfortable for me, I was a little concerned being thicker looking pad but overall smaller they might fit a little wonky because I got a big melon but I think I like them better. They are certainly cooler. I might just spring for the leather, maybe sheepskin in the future. Kind of peeved Philips didn't just go ahead and assume people might really use the crap out of such a wonderful sounding headphone and need to replace the pads. Make replacement easier. Like click and old pads are off. Click and new pads are on. I'd have been truly ok with spending a couple of more bucks on them for that ease of replacement.

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #1,272 of 2,061
The stock pads do technically snap off though.  You don't have to tear them to bits lol.

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #1,274 of 2,061
They are not really snap offs. It's almost impossible to properly reinstall the stock pads once they are taken apart, unless you glue them back. They are glued with a clip mechanism.

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #1,275 of 2,061
If you pull at the plastic part the pads will indeed snap off. Heck if I didn't have work in an hour I'd upload a video for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back