Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Nov 25, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #1,186 of 2,061
They sound similar off all sources since the shp9500 is super easy to drive. The upper bass is punchy, but as you all know the shp9500 has zero sub bass.

Nov 25, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #1,188 of 2,061
  I'm not expecting much improvement in sub bass but as shp is somewhat bright so I was thinking maybe pairing a warmer source would make the overall sound presentation a bit less bright-y.

i have the 9500s at the moment with boob mod and dt440 pads

but i remember when i had the xb1k pads, the subbass (well i should say lower mids, upperbass) were surprisingly there, and moreso with the modhouseaudio cups,

they are verrry comfy with 990v pads

and probably just as bassy with alpha, and hm5 pads

these are like 5 in 1 headphones, though the signatures change with pads, they're very "OK-GOOD"
biggrin.gif

for those who want to tame brightness, phat pads are your friend as eardrum is distanced, and the sound is still "OK-GOOD"
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #1,189 of 2,061
Got some HM5 pleather pads in originally for my K553.  They sounded like garbage on my K553 so I decided to pop off the stock earpads on the SHP9500 and put them on here.

I didn't expect the sound to change this much.  There's a very nice amount of bass now, and the highs and mids are brought down a bit.  Surprisingly nice to listen to.

Dec 5, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #1,190 of 2,061
Finally put the hm5 earpads onto my too. Instead of cutting the earpad after putting it around the ring, I just snap the ring back onto the headphones then I attach the the earpads on it. it was much easier to do without doing any cutting. I got the leater though because the velour or memory foam might make my ears sweat.

Dec 5, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #1,191 of 2,061
  Finally put the hm5 earpads onto my too. Instead of cutting the earpad after putting it around the ring, I just snap the ring back onto the headphones then I attach the the earpads on it. it was much easier to do without doing any cutting. I got the leater though because the velour or memory foam might make my ears sweat.

I didn't want to ruin the stock pads, so after popping them off I just wrapped the HM5 pads around the clips and all.  Worked surprisingly well.

I did end up going back to the stock pads though since it felt like the midrange was being muddied a bit by the enhanced bass.

Also, aren't leather earpads more prone to heat accumulation and causing you to sweat?  If you wanted to reduce sweat, velours are generally the way to go.

Dec 6, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #1,195 of 2,061
  Guys, what would be a great alternative (around 100USD) to SHP9500? I can't get them (for reasonable price anyway) here where I live.

Depends what you mean by alternative. If you mean "sounds just like it", I can't help ya there. If you mean "some people like it as much or more", I like the Koss KTXPRO1 much more overall. Another headphone in that price range that I like more is the STAX SR-30, but it's harder to find. But as others have mentioned, if you really want the SHP9500, you could just get it on eBay or something. Oh, and the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 is similar, but I prefer the SHP9500.

Dec 7, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #1,197 of 2,061
Anyone who did the boob cup mod I'm thinking it needs Ti be sealed ssssi bass not buzzz. Anyone seal after gluing? ???

I think a good product might be toe pro which is made for old hockey skates when toe protector shredded since fabric was used unlike today's skates.

Anyway I think my superglue gave a bit causing air leak and bass fuzseda but. Fuzzing caused me brain damage and I hate bass fuzz

Anyway I don't think it's dRivers but its driving me nuts I might have to use toe pro on headphones to seal gap but maybe I seal it and paint it like tan

Wonder how many people went allllllllllllllllllllllllll the way with this mod cause of z reviews guy

Dec 8, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #1,198 of 2,061
  Guys, what would be a great alternative (around 100USD) to SHP9500? I can't get them (for reasonable price anyway) here where I live.

Apparently the Pioneer SE-A1000 has comparably good sound quality (more emphasis on mids, less on treble) in the same price range, but at the cost of having terrible pads, being the ugliest headphones on the planet, and having a 6 meter permanently attached wire.

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #1,199 of 2,061
Apparently the Pioneer SE-A1000 has comparably good sound quality (more emphasis on mids, less on treble) in the same price range, but at the cost of having terrible pads, being the ugliest headphones on the planet, and having a 6 meter permanently attached wire.

Ive read of a lot of people complAining about this headphone low end.

I'm not recommend the mods as with the money you spend on mods to make it thump more you can buy something better.

But it can thump. I put these on again after a while. One with ring and velour and the other Sony xb pads. The difference it's huge.

If people who say there it's Zero bass in this thing order the xbpads eBay has some for 14-25US and get those 3d cups. Again I'm not saying to do it nor do I recommend the mods per se but if you really want to see this can rumble. Try it.

In no way I'm saying this is giant killer orhifior anything like that. But there is BASSS potential!!!! :)

$14 US for xb 1000 pads. $5-10 for xb500/700

If you a balla get the alpha pads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back