Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Jan 15, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #647 of 2,061
Hey guys, i'm really looking for getting the SHP9500, i first saw it while looking for good headphones all over the internet, found them in the video made by Zeos, perhaps you can help me? :p
I am looking for a good sound quality (gaming/music/movies, not really sure about how much bass i want), about comfort, the only thing that i cant use are on-ear (omg i hate those, really).
I probably open, even tho i wanted closed ones, because of portability, but i'm getting over that because i'm mostly going to use it in my computer and i want a good soundstage (never used anything that had any)
Ok, so the thing is i want the best sounding headphone under $150, it can be used or new. If someone could help me, it would be great :D 
Thanks!

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #648 of 2,061
Hey guys, i'm really looking for getting the SHP9500, i first saw it while looking for good headphones all over the internet, found them in the video made by Zeos, perhaps you can help me? :p

I am looking for a good sound quality (gaming/music/movies, not really sure about how much bass i want), about comfort, the only thing that i cant use are on-ear (omg i hate those, really).

I probably open, even tho i wanted closed ones, because of portability, but i'm getting over that because i'm mostly going to use it in my computer and i want a good soundstage (never used anything that had any)

Ok, so the thing is i want the best sounding headphone under $150, it can be used or new. If someone could help me, it would be great :D 

Thanks!

Although I don't own the Philips and can't comment on them, seeing as you were looking for closed back headphones AND a good soundstage, I would advise you to take a look at the AKG K553. Comfort is a known issue with these though, kind of a love it or hate it sort of thing.

Jan 15, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #649 of 2,061
Thanks!

It really depends on your bass preference. These can be very linear, even lacking to some in the lower frequencies.

But... it's nothing a pad change can't fix! 
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #650 of 2,061
I've owned both the 558 and the 9500 and I find the 9500 have more bass. The 558 are brighter too.

My 9500 is brighter than my 558!
The 9500 has maybe a bit punchier upper bss but in the low bass the 9500 is very very weak. The 558 has clearly more deeper bass and you can even feel it a little bit (it's by no means bassy but it reaches clearly deeper, Please test from Spotify "Bass I love You" and you'll see what I mean, the bass line in missing in the 9500 completely, with the 558 you can clearly hear it).

Because I listening to som 90's and wanted more bass I switched from the 9500 to the CAL! ... oh my god is the CAL! bad in comparisson.... but I got my bass :D
I think I have to try the X2 for more bass.

Jan 15, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #651 of 2,061
Although I don't own the Philips and can't comment on them, seeing as you were looking for closed back headphones AND a good soundstage, I would advise you to take a look at the AKG K553. Comfort is a known issue with these though, kind of a love it or hate it sort of thing.

It's not that i'm looking for a closed back headphone, it would be a nice extra feature for me, but for me its like this SQ>Soundstage>Comfort>anything else.

It really depends on your bass preference. These can be very linear, even lacking to some in the lower frequencies.

But... it's nothing a pad change can't fix! 
biggrin.gif

Yea, i'm not really sure, i just used my dads koss porta pro, i really didn't like the bass, it seemed way too much and not good (maybe there was something wrong?) but the only phones that i had were the logitech G35 (don't like it, bad decision, it is old) got a TTpod T1-E (good pair of iem, cable broken, trying to fix it) but i think for me anything that has a ok bass is enough, i dont listen to dubstep or any electronic music (maybe some times for videos, i don't hate them). 
So, does anyone knows if there is any headphone that is better in SQ and Soundstage than those philips?
Sorry for taking your time, but thanks for helping :)

Jan 15, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #652 of 2,061
The 9500 has maybe a bit punchier upper bss but in the low bass the 9500 is very very weak. The 558 has clearly more deeper bass and you can even feel it a little bit (it's by no means bassy but it reaches clearly deeper, Please test from Spotify "Bass I love You" and you'll see what I mean, the bass line in missing in the 9500 completely, with the 558 you can clearly hear it).

Because I listening to som 90's and wanted more bass I switched from the 9500 to the CAL! ... oh my god is the CAL! bad in comparisson.... but I got my bass :D

Or you can try a source with more bass.

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #653 of 2,061

OK. With my X3II/Q1 combo the 558 were brighter. There was no real sub bass with my bass boost on/eq off. I listen to metal. I get more impact with the 9500 and no booming which is what I prefer. You're the first person I've heard say the 558 have sub bass. We all hear things differently I suppose. Good luck on your bass quest.

Jan 15, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #654 of 2,061
I've read so many reviews about the 9500s and the 558s...

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to dive blindly and buy one of them whenever I have the money. I'm leaning towards the HD558s now though, as I haven't heard any Sennheisers so far while I've had some Philips headphones before (Actually, Philips was the brand that got me into this wallet-killing hobby). Anyway, I want to experience open headphones and I'm pretty sure any of them will suffice on my road to more expensive headphones (I'm looking at you, AKG K7XX and Fidelio X2).

Jan 15, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #658 of 2,061
That's definitely overkill for a >$100 set of cans. Actually, that's overkill for any sort of headphone.

Overkill for these drivers, maybe yes, but on some occasions like the T50RP such modding does do wonders. Just look at MrSpeakers. They've become who they now are because of such.

Jan 16, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #660 of 2,061
OK. With my X3II/Q1 combo the 558 were brighter. There was no real sub bass with my bass boost on/eq off. I listen to metal. I get more impact with the 9500 and no booming which is what I prefer. You're the first person I've heard say the 558 have sub bass. We all hear things differently I suppose. Good luck on your bass quest.

I read several times that the 9500 has no real sub bass. I experienced the same here. The 558 has deeper bass. OK it's not comparable to let's say the Momentum On Ear which literally shakes your ears but sub bass is clearly reproduced by the 558.
As I wrote please test with the Song Bass I Love You. When you can't make a direct comparison than you can't say the 9500 has more bass :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back