Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Nov 23, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #601 of 2,061
I want to buy these so badly! But these are not available in the Philippines 2.) They are now overpriced, maybe because of the hype and the surge in demand? and 3.) I read in this thread these are now discontinued? My heart is sinking. Why, Philips why?

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #603 of 2,061
  Since getting the X2/he-400i/T50RP, I came back to these and am still amazed at how good they are. Seems like the more headphones I hear just makes me appreciate them more. They just sound so damn clear, precise. 

BTW, they're on Massdrop right now, 100 limit: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/philips-shp9500-headphones

+1

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #604 of 2,061
$59.99 @ Newegg Flash

http://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIA08C3H14853?icid=WP_9999_11272015

Nov 27, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #605 of 2,061
  I want to buy these so badly! But these are not available in the Philippines 2.) They are now overpriced, maybe because of the hype and the surge in demand? and 3.) I read in this thread these are now discontinued? My heart is sinking. Why, Philips why?

I'm actually planning on getting them right now (the Newegg flash deal) and shipping them through MyShoppingBox or any of the 3rd party couriers haha. $60 is just too good to miss and I hope I don't miss it.

Dec 6, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #607 of 2,061
Just got mine 2 days ago from the newegg flash deal for 60. Some first impressions.

Comfort: Super low clamping force. Like seriously to the point of annoyance. It results in these being some of the most comfy pair of cans I've ever worn, but at the same time, if the headband isn't right over my head, or if I tilt my head excessively forwards or back, they'll straight up fall off my head. Though I will note that my head is quite narrow and tall. 

The pads are an interesting material. Comfortable as in soft padding, but the texture is a little rough and could cause skin irritation for some. 

Build Quality: Not bad, but the headband plastic piece on top feels superrr cheap, and will probably scuff up easily. Otherwise decent build, but not as nicely constructed as my MDR-V6. 

Sound Quality:

My only other two cans that I own currently are the Sony MDR-V6's, and the Samson SR850s. I'm listening through through a Fiio E10k and spotify premium in High Quality mode. I've also listened to some FLAC files as well, but most of my observations are through spotify. 

Starting with Bass, the SHP9500 produce less than the V6s and the SR850s. The difference is quite dramatic. I'm talking more mid bass, not sub bass, as I don't think any of these cans produce sub bass sufficiently. With the E10k's bass boost, the lower end is enough, but not overpowered. I actually preferred the Samsons to these for hip hop and rap for this reason. Listening to the new Logic album, the Samsons are clearly more V-shaped, and fun to some extent.

The mids and highs are a different story. The SHP9500s produce the most clean and detailed midrange and highs that I have heard from a headphone. Though I can't say that I've listened extensively to many headphones out of these three that I have listed. I've never heard HD600s so you can take that for what it is. I spent a good amount of time listening to female vocalists, Adele, Amy Winehouse, and these cans take the cake over the Samsons and the V6s. Really airy, detailed, and bright without being overly harsh.

Soundstage, slightly larger than the Samsons, much wider than the V6s (closed cans so obviously..). Listening to Hiromi tracks were a joy. Great instrument separation and detail along a wide soundstage. 

Overall, a pair of headphones that met my expectations, which were of course skewed by the hype (thanks Zeos). My mind certainly wasn't blown, but they definitely have provided me with a different listening experience from the v6 and sr850s as well as brought a higher level of refinement that I have yet to experience from the rest of my small collection. 

Dec 10, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #608 of 2,061
I've been having a tough time searching out a guide for replacing the pads with HM5s. I'm guessing that's because it doesn't require one? It looks like the stock pads basically need to be torn off and then try to stretch them over the plastic ring. 

Dec 11, 2015 at 5:10 AM Post #609 of 2,061

I've been having a tough time searching out a guide for replacing the pads with HM5s. I'm guessing that's because it doesn't require one? It looks like the stock pads basically need to be torn off and then try to stretch them over the plastic ring. 

i think theres a video of someone doing that exactly.

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #611 of 2,061
anyone wanna mod the shp9500?

I blacked out the L and R white lettering on the grills with a sharpie, does that count as a mod? 
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #613 of 2,061

You can pop off the oval plastic part with the pad from the round part.  The oval part clips on.  There's 4 clips on each corner.  If you push one of the corners of the oval part then pull it apart from the opposite end of the corner, you can unclip it and it'll come apart.  But there's no real way to put the HM5 pads on without modding it extensively.  You can rip the padding off of the oval plastic part that it's on but that oval part is too big for the HM5 pads to go over.  You'll have to shave it down.  You might be able to but it's a biiiiiiiiiiiig stretch.  The plastic oval piece is a little bit bigger than the HM5 pad.  I tried it but I didn't want to rip the HM5 pads lol.  Just a warning though when pulling the oval part off that it might break a clip.  Probably best if you just rip the padding off so you can see the clips to push them if you don't care about the pads.
anyone wanna mod the shp9500?

I have ideas but executing it is a whole other story lol.  Actually it's not too hard, just don't have the tools.

Dec 17, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #615 of 2,061
  How about 9500 compared to X2?

Just sold my 9500 and repurchased an X2. I find the 9500 by and far the best value headphone on the market. Big comfortable pads, smooth neutral sound but lacks bass impact to my ears. I am by no means a true basshead but I listen to tons of techno, house and hip hop which all demand some bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back