Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Aug 25, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #496 of 2,061
  I heard someone say that these are about on par in terms of sound with the sennheiser hd598, does anyone else think that or have the 598's to compare to them? ive been looking into both of these headphones which do you guys think would be a better choice?

I own both.  I find almost impossible to compare them directly, because they feel and sound different.  The SHP9500 is so much less expensive, when on sale, that it may make sense to try it first and trade to the HD598 if the sound is not to your liking.  As I explained in a previous post on this thread (post #479, http://www.head-fi.org/t/717690/philips-shp9500-discussion-thread/465#post_11853289), the impedance curve of the HD598 is such that it will sound "boomy" when used with an amplifier with high input impedance.  As I also wrote in that post, overall, with my Dragonfly DAC/amp, I use the HD598 more than the SHP9500.

Aug 25, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #497 of 2,061
  There are various reasons to own and enjoy the SHP9500, even if you own a HD598.  I own the Sennheiser HD598, the Philips SHP9500, and the Audio-Technica AD700.  Here are the impedance and phase diagrams for the SHP9500 (top) and HD598 (bottom) from Golden Ears:

d3e0bf2139505df519c6310b2a37eab3.png

447246a6880823ad9e68d8aa869519e4.png

The HD598 has a strong peak in the impedance magnitude centered at 90Hz.  This emphasizes the midbass when used with a high output impedance amplifier.  See the explanation at http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/musings-headphone-amplifier-output-impedance#z8oEM3wyxBh30cWL.97.  When I first played the Sennheiser HD598 thorugh my NAD 3130 amplifier, I thought the response was unnaturally "boomy." It was much later, when I started using a Dragonfly (which has a low output impedance) that I realized how good the HD598 can be. In fact, I use the HD598 more than the SHP9500.

So, the SHP9500 is more tolerant of the output impedance of its source and sounds fine with high-output amplifiers.  I also find (subjectively, of course) that the SHP9500 has an open sound and a natural tonality that is particularly pleasing for large orchestral work; I think that this is a matter of tuning and a Philips trait, at least in their older models.

Thanks! So for large orchestra/synphony work, which one do you prefer?

Aug 25, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #498 of 2,061

So, the SHP9500 is more tolerant of the output impedance of its source and sounds fine with high-output amplifiers.  I also find (subjectively, of course) that the SHP9500 has an open sound and a natural tonality that is particularly pleasing for large orchestral work; I think that this is a matter of tuning and a Philips trait, at least in their older models.

Thanks! So for large orchestra/synphony work, which one do you prefer?

I prefer the SHP9500 for that.  Again, that is only my opinion.

Aug 25, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #500 of 2,061
After owning a pair of Grado SR60's for the last six or seven years as my "nice" headphones, I decided I needed something else to compare and contrast and give me a better reference point for sound quality. I managed to pick up the SHP9500's for about $50 and received them about three days ago. So far I've been really impressed with these new cans. To me, the sound is sharper, cleaner, and has a better sound stage than the SR60's. I wouldn't mind a bit more impact in the bass department, though I can hear the bass fine. 

I went ahead and did the recommended  mods yesterday afternoon, and it seems a bit nicer to my ears. I should mention that I also modded my Grado's with the quarter mod, felt mod, and hole mod, so I'm now comparing both in their modded form. I was afraid that going for headphones that were roughly in the same price range as the SR60's would be disappointing, especially after modding the Grado's (which I feel makes a noticeable difference  for the better over stock,) but I have to say, I feel the SHP9500's are the better sounding, more comfortable cans. YMMV of course.

Thanks for all the reviews and info in this thread, everyone. I read through the entire thing before buying. I am not disappointed so far. Now, of course, I'm already feeling the pull of the upgrade-monster.....
atsmile.gif

Ryan

Aug 25, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #501 of 2,061
  After owning a pair of Grado SR60's for the last six or seven years as my "nice" headphones, I decided I needed something else to compare and contrast and give me a better reference point for sound quality. I managed to pick up the SHP9500's for about $50 and received them about three days ago. So far I've been really impressed with these new cans. To me, the sound is sharper, cleaner, and has a better sound stage than the SR60's. I wouldn't mind a bit more impact in the bass department, though I can hear the bass fine. 

I went ahead and did the recommended  mods yesterday afternoon, and it seems a bit nicer to my ears. I should mention that I also modded my Grado's with the quarter mod, felt mod, and hole mod, so I'm now comparing both in their modded form. I was afraid that going for headphones that were roughly in the same price range as the SR60's would be disappointing, especially after modding the Grado's (which I feel makes a noticeable difference  for the better over stock,) but I have to say, I feel the SHP9500's are the better sounding, more comfortable cans. YMMV of course.

Thanks for all the reviews and info in this thread, everyone. I read through the entire thing before buying. I am not disappointed so far. Now, of course, I'm already feeling the pull of the upgrade-monster.....
atsmile.gif

Ryan

Good comments.  Oh yes, the upgrade monster.  I liken it to GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) in the musical instrument or golf club world.  Head-Fi will feed that monster.  Use restraint or your wallet will be depleted frequently...

Aug 27, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #502 of 2,061
How do these compare to the Takstar Pro 80 aka Gemini HSR-1000?

Sep 2, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #505 of 2,061
If the earpads were made in the exact size/shape they are now but in velour or microfiber material the 9500's would be the most comfortable and perfect all day gaming headphones on earth. I have a boom pro mic attached and these things are incredible. The current earpads are super comfy but they do get hot after extended use. Love these headphones.

Sep 9, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #506 of 2,061
  I really don't think the word "great" should be used to describe any aspect of these headphones. Maybe in regard to comfort, but that's about it. Their imaging, separation, and overall resolution are just good, not great. Not headphones, but my HiFiMAN RE-400s made me realize that the SHP9500s are not great. They are solid and seem just about right at $50, but I wouldn't get the with that high of expectations.

I was looking for how they would stack up to my 400's. I wonder how they would stack up to the ATH-50x. I am trying to recommend a good, low cost headphone for my roommate. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back