Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
May 8, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #316 of 2,061
The 9500 makes up my new transportable concert-hall. :thumbup:

47894c7b1c48333cb1c80279b22b6100.jpg

May 8, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #317 of 2,061
Guy I am using Schiit Modi 2 uber and Magni 2 stack at home and I suppose this shp9500 would be too bright if I had paired with this. Combined with the stacks sound character I fear I'll be right :/

What are your experiences about amping?

ps: My office amp is reserved for the Senn. 650! Keep this out of it :)

May 8, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #318 of 2,061
So I have just read the majority of this thread, other than magicman's pad's mod and using a vmoda cable for a mic, is there a way to get velour pads? I've already ordered the shp9500 and the vmoda boompro as I'm using these to replace my razer maelstrom and my superlux 681. But do you guys have any idea's to replace this component on the pc? http://assets.razerzone.com/eeimages/products/19/razer-megalodon-usp-1.png

May 8, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #319 of 2,061
  Guy I am using Schiit Modi 2 uber and Magni 2 stack at home and I suppose this shp9500 would be too bright if I had paired with this. Combined with the stacks sound character I fear I'll be right :/

I don't think you could tell without trying it out (what is too bright for me may not be for you).

HOWEVER - if it was bright the ridiculously easy Felt Mod should solve it.   Ref: Here   and  Here  (scroll down to SHP-9500)

I see Magick used 2mm felt and DIY 3mm.

I used 2mm and do think it solved any brightness issues for me.  If you are not going to do Magick's craft foam ring mod as well, there is no need to glue down the felt...so it is easily reversible and easy to try different felt types. 

You mention the HD650...to my ears, with the 2mm felt mod my SHP9500's treble level is pretty close to my HD600s...with 3mm felt it might be exact in treble level, but I like a bit brighter phone. 

May 9, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #320 of 2,061
The 9500 is a bit bright IMO.  Been listening to them exclusively for several weeks.  Putting the HD600s back on was an amazing feeling, better pads and fit, low end response, warmer, smoother fuller. That is with Schiit stack 2.  

The 9500 does sound MUCH better when EQ'd, even at the cost of some clarity.  The change in soundstage for Linkin Park's Session is astounding after the EQ.  And absolutely nothing comes close at the price.

I'd love to get my hands on the Fidelio X2, because I've heard it is everything the 9500 is but to the next level, and with fuller bass and more balanced.  

May 10, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #321 of 2,061
  I don't think you could tell without trying it out (what is too bright for me may not be for you).

HOWEVER - if it was bright the ridiculously easy Felt Mod should solve it.   Ref: Here   and  Here  (scroll down to SHP-9500)

I see Magick used 2mm felt and DIY 3mm.

I used 2mm and do think it solved any brightness issues for me.  If you are not going to do Magick's craft foam ring mod as well, there is no need to glue down the felt...so it is easily reversible and easy to try different felt types. 

You mention the HD650...to my ears, with the 2mm felt mod my SHP9500's treble level is pretty close to my HD600s...with 3mm felt it might be exact in treble level, but I like a bit brighter phone. 

I didn't mind the brightness but felt that the lows needed a bit of boost. Didn't have felt or foam so cut out a couple of pieces of cotton cloth and rolled it up to about 1/2" thick and tucked them in below the pads. Seems to have improved the soundstage slightly as well as well

May 12, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #322 of 2,061
Are there any SHP9500 owners that could give a few brief comments on how it compares to the Panasonic RP-HTF600 headphones?  

May 12, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #323 of 2,061
Currently available on Newegg for $49.99.  Best price I've seen, so I went for it.  $14 better than the current md deal too. 

The regular price is $69.99.  Use coupon code EMCASKN69 to drop it to the $49.99.  No idea when it expires. 

May 12, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #324 of 2,061
I got mine yesterday. Sounds fine for the money. I started to EQ it with some more bass... Then realized, wait a second... Im using a tube amp anyway. Now i know these dont benefit from amping. But the sound does become warmer. So in some ways i feel like EQing the lows isnt necessary?

May 12, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #327 of 2,061
  Are there any SHP9500 owners that could give a few brief comments on how it compares to the Panasonic RP-HTF600 headphones?  

I've not heard either but I would say that would be an apples to oranges comparison (open vs closed).

May 12, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #328 of 2,061
I got mine yesterday. Sounds fine for the money. I started to EQ it with some more bass... Then realized, wait a second... Im using a tube amp anyway. Now i know these dont benefit from amping. But the sound does become warmer. So in some ways i feel like EQing the lows isnt necessary?

I would recommend to use the ring and felt mod to control the highs (a bit) and get some sweet low end. Its really not that difficult. 

May 12, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #329 of 2,061

Gave mine a good listen last night. Some Joni Mitchell ("Blue") and Return to Forever ("Romantic Warrior"). Both albums ALAC, played from X3ii LO --> E12A -->SHP9500. With bass boost on on the E12A, the sound was wonderful. Sub- and mid-bass bumped just enough to really liven up the low end, and nicely defined mids and highs with nothing overpowering anything else. Very satisfying, dynamic listening session.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back