Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
May 12, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #331 of 2,061
  Currently available on Newegg for $49.99.  Best price I've seen, so I went for it.  $14 better than the current md deal too. 

The regular price is $69.99.  Use coupon code EMCASKN69 to drop it to the $49.99.  No idea when it expires. 

Thanks! Ordered one! Been planning to buy the Sen 558 or the 598 but I'll try these instead.

May 12, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #332 of 2,061
  Thanks! Ordered one! Been planning to buy the Sen 558 or the 598 but I'll try these instead.

I prefer these to the 598s for their more substantial bass presence and overall dynamics.

May 14, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #334 of 2,061
Purchased these last week from nomorerack.com, cost me $48 USD with discounts.

Wanted to own these as a compliment to my Philips SBC-HP890's.

Initial impressions were not all that great. Very mid-centric with almost a ting of shoutiness and peakiness. Also had almost no bass response or very anemic in the bass. And hardly any extended high end with airiness.

After listening with a 12 hour burn-in the SQ was a little better with the mids being tamed a little and a hint of a low end.

The have been on music burn-in for at least 64 hours, I'll try to give them another 24 to 36 hours before I do an more critical listening.

Will keep more updating hopefully in a day or two.

May 14, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #335 of 2,061
Got these for $50 from Newegg.

Plugged them into my Technics receiver using TosLink digital output.

They're like a much improved Pioneer SE-A1000, both in terms of comfort and sound quality. 

Highs are sibiliant and clear. Mids are pronounced. Bass is controlled. Open cans mean the soundstage is very wide, feels like you're in an arena listening to live music.

It actually sounds slightly better than the Fidelio X1. Yes, the X1 has more bass and a closer soundstage, but it's closed nature makes bass just a tad more muffled.

May 14, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #338 of 2,061
I was extremely disappointed when I first got them and gave them a listen. Atleast 200 hours of burn-in is required for these phones to really shine. My X1s sound extremely muffled compared to these and they are the clearest headphones I have listened so far in my limited experience. The mods described in this thread also improve the sound.

Happy listening!.

May 14, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #339 of 2,061
I'm looking for a pair of open headphones to use for competitive gaming like in CSGO so sound stage is important. I'm currently using a V Moda M80, which sound very nice but its closed, thus small sound stage. So I'm really considering these because I can plug my mic into the 3.5 mm port and its $50. Before I buy these, are there another other sub $100 open headphones that I can plug my mic into that sound better than these? I read that the bass is really lacking. And to be honest, I like bass, but not excessively. My M80 had the perfect amount.

May 14, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #340 of 2,061
  I'm looking for a pair of open headphones to use for competitive gaming like in CSGO so sound stage is important. I'm currently using a V Moda M80, which sound very nice but its closed, thus small sound stage. So I'm really considering these because I can plug my mic into the 3.5 mm port and its $50. Before I buy these, are there another other sub $100 open headphones that I can plug my mic into that sound better than these? I read that the bass is really lacking. And to be honest, I like bass, but not excessively. My M80 had the perfect amount.

These will not wow you with bass. Maybe you can look at Senn 558s. Still open and quite comparable. 

May 16, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #342 of 2,061
Hey all,

Enjoy my little video about these. They need to be more well known.

May 16, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #343 of 2,061
  Hey all,

Enjoy my little video about these. They need to be more well known.

I would concur 100% about the quality of these, and the amazing bang-for-buck. Nice vid...

May 16, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #344 of 2,061
Hey,

I'm still blown away by these. I'd argue that they exceed the RS-125e by quite a bit, then again that headphone is a bit overpriced anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back