Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Apr 14, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #256 of 2,061
I just got my Philips X1 today and gave them a brief listen and guess what, they are not as clear as SHP9500. The mids and highs are so much better and cleaner on 9500s than X1s. They are a fantastic value at this price (provided you also go ahead and apply the felt and ring mods). I am listening to them right now while my brand new X1 is wrapped new in a box :)

I also liked my 9500's more than my X1's. They are just brighter and have a better energy for edm despite a lack of bass impact. I now have the X2's while my dad has the 9500, and find the X2 to have more of the clarity and soundstage I was looking for. I still like to listen to the 9500's when I'm at his house, though.

Apr 14, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #258 of 2,061
I also liked my 9500's more than my X1's. They are just brighter and have a better energy for edm despite a lack of bass impact. I now have the X2's while my dad has the 9500, and find the X2 to have more of the clarity and soundstage I was looking for. I still like to listen to the 9500's when I'm at his house, though.

hmm ... makes me wonder if I made the mistake of going for X1s instead of X2s. But then I got mine during amazon fire-sale and X2 is still a $300 headphone. 

Back to 9500s. I had previously put in a hard foam ring instead of a rubber one. Do you guys think it would make any difference if I switch it out with a rubber one? And one more thing ... I never glued down the felts. Is that okay?

Apr 15, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #260 of 2,061

Please play the following song and estimate how wide the soundstages are between SHP9500 and whatever other common headphones you want to such as the HD600 and DT990.  (Especially DT990.)  I know the SHP9500 has a smaller soundstage than some other popular open headphones, but I'm trying to figure out just how much smaller.  

The main part I use starts about the 1-minute mark.  It puts the sound from average closed soundstages about at my shoulders.  I'd certainly like to hear what Marximus has to say about the soundstage compared to his X2 too.  And hopefully some 558/598 owners will do some comparisons.

As for bass, I've read a couple people say these are basically on par with AD700.  The way most people say AD700 has "no bass" or is "a tin can" makes me wonder though since it seems like most people find SHP9500 bass to be at least "low but acceptable."  I wonder if the difference is actually more of a mids thing, if the SHP9500 has warmer mids than AD700 and so it covers up low amounts of bass better.  

Damn, but that's a great recording!  I think I'm going to have to buy it!  Check out "Sneak" too... very similar with some amazing mic work going on (excellent for testing sound stage!)

https://youtu.be/gx1K3STePKQ

I've been checking this thread because I still haven't seen the X2 come down in price any. :p  But now that I read that they might be "north of neutral" on the bass I'm thinking even more seriously about the 9500.  Currently down to my AKG K7XX, which I also think are bit "north of neutral" on the bass end, and looking for something a bit more analytical, maybe a little brighter, just for such music as this excellent Rubarth album.

BTW, Rubarth makes me want to play two of my other favorite live albums...  Kroke's excellent "Live at Home" and Bela Fleck ft. Edgar Meyer on "Music For Two" :wink:

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #261 of 2,061
 Hi, my 9500s left hinge band (if i'm correct) is almost loose, how can i fix it? Thank you :)

I have this problem as well. I have not found a solution to it other than wearing them. Wearing them will somehow tighten  the headband and wont losen up while wearing it. If it still loosens up alot, you should return them, if you are still within the return period.

I bought second hand in good condition a while ago so no warranty left. this just happened. Oh well...

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #262 of 2,061
SHP9500 + X1 = X2, in my opinion. It's the perfect marriage of crisp highs & deep bass. The X2's are my favorite dynamic headphone.

+1, that's my feeling as well. Still tempted by the SHP9500 at the current price though 
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #264 of 2,061
Though it's not very an appropriate question, I just wonder the ratio of SQ difference/gap between 9500 & HD 600 and HD600 & HD800 for classical/symphony? We know all the three headphones are good for classical/symphony. I have no HD800. But I just found 9500s are not laying much back when comparing to HD600. How about HD600 to HD 800? For me, I think it HD 600 score 100, 9500 can score at least 80. What's your oponion? Any estimation for them?

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #266 of 2,061
Wow, buying from that link right now.

Finished ordering, now the wait for them to arrive!

Apr 15, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #269 of 2,061
Free shipping and a cheaper price?  I'll take it :)

Apr 18, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #270 of 2,061
Except for a little gaming with my HP 150s, I've used these almost exclusively this past week.  My X2s haven't had nearly as much head time.  They sound seriously good.  The $60 price point really makes them a steal.  I'm listening to a song right now that has some substantial bass (drum hits, etc.), and it does *not* sound lacking on these.  Very impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back