Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Apr 9, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #211 of 2,061
Hey guys,

Just a heads up that you can easily remove the L & R white painted logos on each ear cup with a black sharpie marker. I did two coats over each grill and the white paint is no longer visible. It makes the headphones look much nicer, in my opinion!

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #212 of 2,061
Has anyone compared these to the ad700x or the ad900x?

Bump for that.

I'm mainly wondering how the mids and fullness compare, (and how whatever else compares if you want to compare other things).  I don't mind lack of boom boom bass most of the time, and I don't like bass muddying things up, but having an overall tinny and or boring lifeless sound is also a concern.  And just how big is the overall size of the soundstage in comparison?  I know the SHP9500 is smaller, but is it a lot smaller, or just a bit smaller?    

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #213 of 2,061
  Hey guys,

Just a heads up that you can easily remove the L & R white painted logos on each ear cup with a black sharpie marker. I did two coats over each grill and the white paint is no longer visible. It makes the headphones look much nicer, in my opinion!

I agree. I might do that too. Definitely looks better. BTW, I noticed that you have a non stock cable. Does it improve your sound in anyway.

Quote:
  Bump for that.

I'm mainly wondering how the mids and fullness compare, (and how whatever else compares if you want to compare other things).  I don't mind lack of boom boom bass most of the time, and I don't like bass muddying things up, but having an overall tinny and or boring lifeless sound is also a concern.  And just how big is the overall size of the soundstage in comparison?  I know the SHP9500 is smaller, but is it a lot smaller, or just a bit smaller?    

Moded SHP9500 definitely has bass when the song demands it. So if you are listening to some music where extended bass is not intended, you won't be hear any attempts of the headphone wanting to add any ficticious lower frequencies. On the other hand if you listen to electronic or rap, it will deliver with good authority (nice quick & punchy bass). 

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:32 AM Post #214 of 2,061
Can anyone do a direct comparison between the SHP9500 and the HD558? I know that they're supposed to be two different headphones I'm terms of sound signature but it'd be cool to hear from someone that has extensive experience with both. Thanks!

Apr 10, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #215 of 2,061
Can anyone do a direct comparison between the SHP9500 and the HD558? I know that they're supposed to be two different headphones I'm terms of sound signature but it'd be cool to hear from someone that has extensive experience with both. Thanks!

If you don't get that, maybe look at the X1 and X2 threads.  There's people in those who like the X1 or X2 more than their 558/598 and even more than Sennheiser 600 and things.  And then take what they say and combine it with comments comparing the X1 and X2 to SHP9500.  That's what I'm currently trying to do to figure out just how much smaller the SHP9500 soundstage is than other headphones.  

There's multiple posts like the following that say SHP9500 is more or less a clearer, brighter X1/X2.  It also mentions soundstage, but I'm still looking for more specifics for whether the soundstage is "yeah, it's a little smaller but not much smaller," or "wow, it's 50% smaller and you are really missing out if you like big soundstage."  Or even more specific, like, if headphone A puts a specific song or part of a song 12" to the side of your shoulders if you try to grab the sound in the air with your hands, headphone B puts it more like 18" to the side of your shoulders.  

Opposite of what the Fidelio x1/x2 offers. The 9500 sounds brighter to me, bass is solid and clean. 

Honestly, the 9500 beats the X1/x2 in terms of clarity and distinguishing sounds more. Soundstage is wider in X1/X2 though. Seperation should be about the same as well, from what I recall.

I dont have the X1 anymore and havent used the 9500 for a while ever since I got my K7XX.

Apr 10, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #216 of 2,061
  If you don't get that, maybe look at the X1 and X2 threads.  There's people in those who like the X1 or X2 more than their 558/598 and even more than Sennheiser 600 and things.  And then take what they say and combine it with comments comparing the X1 and X2 to SHP9500.  That's what I'm currently trying to do to figure out just how much smaller the SHP9500 soundstage is than other headphones.  

There's multiple posts like the following that say SHP9500 is more or less a clearer, brighter X1/X2.  It also mentions soundstage, but I'm still looking for more specifics for whether the soundstage is "yeah, it's a little smaller but not much smaller," or "wow, it's 50% smaller and you are really missing out if you like big soundstage."  Or even more specific, like, if headphone A puts a specific song or part of a song 12" to the side of your shoulders if you try to grab the sound in the air with your hands, headphone B puts it more like 18" to the side of your shoulders.  

I would, but the Fidelio line is a bit out of my budget. :t 

And yeah, that's what I've read as well, that the SHP9500 is brighter than the Fidelios. I've been swaying back and forth between the SHP9500 and the HD 558 for a few days now but I'm really not sure which to go with although I'm sure I'd be happy with whatever choice I make. 

Apr 10, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #217 of 2,061

I would, but the Fidelio line is a bit out of my budget. :t 

And yeah, that's what I've read as well, that the SHP9500 is brighter than the Fidelios. I've been swaying back and forth between the SHP9500 and the HD 558 for a few days now but I'm really not sure which to go with although I'm sure I'd be happy with whatever choice I make. 

I have the HD598 and went in on the recent SHP9500 drop on Massdrop. Should be receiving the 9500 this coming week (depending on how anal and slow Canada Customs is), and will post a comparison when I have them and can do a quick A/B.

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #218 of 2,061

I have the HD598 and went in on the recent SHP9500 drop on Massdrop. Should be receiving the 9500 this coming week (depending on how anal and slow Canada Customs is), and will post a comparison when I have them and can do a quick A/B.

Great! Are the 598s supposed to be the successor to the 558? Sorry, I don't know much about Sennheiser and their lineup.

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #219 of 2,061
  Great! Are the 598s supposed to be the successor to the 558? Sorry, I don't know much about Sennheiser and their lineup.

Not sure if they were successor or just an upgraded concurrent model.

Looked about Head-Fi a bit and found some posts that might help you in terms of how they're different (the 558 and 598). Post 1. Post 2. Also found this page with discussion of the two.

One thing I do notice with my HD598s is that they're rather light on bass. I'm hoping the SHP9500 will be a bit fuller sounding without being too bass heavy.

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #221 of 2,061
Besides being my first post here, the 9500's from their most recent Massdrop are also my first set of decent headphones.  I knew there were different quality headphones, but I didn't realize how much of a difference there was until after both of my daughters got Beats headphones for Christmas.  Here I was expecting some great sound for what they cost and as you all already know, it was a meh experience.  I started lurking around /r/headphones, but it seemed that they linked back to here more often than not.  So that's my story and that's why I'm here.

I love the sound of the 9500's through my iPhone right now, but I know that it can be better.  I've been slowly building up a library of FLAC audio on the computer and I'd really like to enjoy it through these headphones.  As you might imagine though, the on-board headphone jack isn't cutting it.  I'm not ready to go all in yet, but I'd like to hear what better sounds like without busting the bank.

I see there's a well-reviewed DAC/AMP on Massdrop right now in the Musiland Monitor 02US Dragon.  Would this match up well with my current headphones or would I be wasting my money?

Thanks!

Apr 11, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #222 of 2,061
I believed that shp9500 should be treated with better amp or all in one. Musicland wasn't bad, just don't think it's that good. make sure the amp output power are 200mw or more at 32om for shp9500, that will guarantee its basic performance.

Apr 11, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #223 of 2,061
  Besides being my first post here, the 9500's from their most recent Massdrop are also my first set of decent headphones.  I knew there were different quality headphones, but I didn't realize how much of a difference there was until after both of my daughters got Beats headphones for Christmas.  Here I was expecting some great sound for what they cost and as you all already know, it was a meh experience.  I started lurking around /r/headphones, but it seemed that they linked back to here more often than not.  So that's my story and that's why I'm here.

I love the sound of the 9500's through my iPhone right now, but I know that it can be better.  I've been slowly building up a library of FLAC audio on the computer and I'd really like to enjoy it through these headphones.  As you might imagine though, the on-board headphone jack isn't cutting it.  I'm not ready to go all in yet, but I'd like to hear what better sounds like without busting the bank.

I see there's a well-reviewed DAC/AMP on Massdrop right now in the Musiland Monitor 02US Dragon.  Would this match up well with my current headphones or would I be wasting my money?

Thanks!

I do not have 02US. But I think 9500 is very easy to drive. Source is much more important than amplifier.

Apr 11, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #225 of 2,061
Just got my 9500s via Massdrop today.  I only listened to them *very* briefly, because I haven't showered yet and don't want to make the earpads gross.  Will have an extensive audition after I'm clean:).  First impressions:  very clean and clear, and not super bass deficient to my ears.  They've got less than my HP 150s, and less than my X2s, but I think both of those are at least a little north of bass neutral, so the 9500s sound great to me, although perhaps a bit more impact would be good.  I think they'll be great with acoustic stuff, which, incidentally, makes up a good chunk of my music library.  They're quite comfortable, and also some of the largest headphones I've ever owned (in terms of length and width, not depth).  Sounds good for $60:).  Looking forward to more head time, but right now they're burning in a bit on my mp3 player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back