Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Apr 23, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #826 of 2,061
AD900X is the better headphone between the two, especially for your criteria. The two advantages over the AD900X are detachable cable and a bit more neutral midrange. Other than that the 900X has it licked in overall fidelity, better treble, better imaging, much bigger soundstage, etc.

I've gone over and over with these two as well, so if you have any other questions about the differences feel free to ask.
Does the AD900x have bigger and deeper earcups?

Apr 23, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #829 of 2,061
I'm having issues with the stock pads on the 9500, my ear is touching the driver. Even though I like the stock earpads sound, the hm5 pads are amazing

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #830 of 2,061
I'm having issues with the stock pads on the 9500, my ear is touching the driver. Even though I like the stock earpads sound, the hm5 pads are amazing
Can you post a picture with the HM5 pads on the SHP's? Thanks!

Apr 26, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #831 of 2,061
My son is "over the moon" with his SHP9500/V-Moda BoomPro setup.  Says it blows away his old Astro gaming headset.  Considering the significant price difference this says volumes.  Bottom line from him is "HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!"

dakanao,  take note.
biggrin.gif
   He's also commented on both the 3D like imaging where he hears players behind and aside him, etc. as well as the clarity with which the BoomPro is received by other online players.

BTW those who get fatigued early with the 9500s most likely are sensitive, like I am, to brighter treble rendition in headphones.  Doesn't bother my son who wears his for hours gaming.  Me?  I had to tame mine with the 2mm felt mod.
wink.gif
   Either way, the 9500 at these recent clearance prices is an unmitigated bargain!

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #832 of 2,061

AD900X is the better headphone between the two, especially for your criteria. The two advantages over the AD900X are detachable cable and a bit more neutral midrange. Other than that the 900X has it licked in overall fidelity, better treble, better imaging, much bigger soundstage, etc.

I've gone over and over with these two as well, so if you have any other questions about the differences feel free to ask.

If the 900x are anything like the 500x, they aren't good for long sessions. I returned my 500x they fatigued and gave me a headache with an hour or so of use.

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #833 of 2,061

If the 900x are anything like the 500x, they aren't good for long sessions. I returned my 500x they fatigued and gave me a headache with an hour or so of use.

Well, I've never heard the 500X, but if it helps, the SHP9500 is more fatiguing than the 900X to me. If you don't like highs I wouldn't recommend either.

Apr 27, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #836 of 2,061
  Where's the cheapest place I can get a pair of these?

Quote:
  NewEgg Flash currently has them for $60.  They've been this price a few times in the last two months on NewEgg, NewEgg via Ebay, or NewEgg flash.

Yeah, that's definitely the best place to get them. Failing that, you can grab them off of Amazon for 15 or so bucks more. Honestly, at any price under $100 you'll have a hard time beating these. Crazy value for the money.

Apr 27, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #838 of 2,061
I just got an open box pair from Newegg -- only $49.99!  I have to say that these are quite a revelation -- I would not describe myself as an audiophile in any way.  I've been using budget headphones forever (HD428 and Velodyne Vleve), and this is just a whole new world for me.  I miss the deep bass of the Velodynes a bit, but these are so much more transparent and open, particularly when compared to the Sennheisers.  I don't think the treble bump will bother me, at least for now -- might try putting some felt in front of the driver, just to see if that makes a real difference.  Anyway, this was an unbelievably well-spent $50 -- highly recommended!

Apr 28, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #839 of 2,061
Can you post a picture with the HM5 pads on the SHP's? Thanks!

You can do a quick google search of shp9500 hm5. They fit very well. 
The new earpads definitely increase bass quantity and comfort, but a slight decrease in mid and treble details. Worth the trade off imo 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back