Philips SHP9500 Discussion Thread
Nov 27, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #47 of 2,061
Coming from mostly experiences with closed cans (excepting KSC75 and Portapro), I'm finding it difficult to evaluate the SHP9500.

My impressions are similar those already noted. Soundstage is not as wide as I was expecting. Slightly accentuated treble, not annoyingly so by also lacking sparkle. Midrange is smooth and clear. Build quality leaves a lot to be desired, considering full retail price.

My biggest problem though is the rolled off bass. Admittedly, coming from the PP, and now the Philips SHL3300 as my main headphones, I am biased to detail in the lower end. But the dynamic range of the SHP9500 is glaringly narrow beside the SHL3300.

Perhaps open air headphones aren't for me. These were definitely not the revelatory experience I was hoping for.
They're definitely bass light and that improves as far as impact goes but there's always going to be a roll off. The soundstage and treble end does improve after 150hrs or so. Might want to let them play at regular volumes for some time before a final judgement.

These also don't take kindly to poor masters or lossy files as well as hi-res or cd lossless.

Dec 3, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #48 of 2,061
https://www.buysonic.com/products/philips-shp9500/

I was told that these werent "available"

I now feel lied to. Goes to show if either we have trolls in here or people trying to sell their products on ebay so one can purchase them without knowing that.

Never the less, Im quite happy with them, although they will probably go into hibernation mode for months, once my akg k7xx come in. Ill also start using my new HD598 as well.

Ill likely purchase the x2, since I had the x1, i really loved their signature and its a must have.

all in all

the SPH9500 is a good headphone for the price range of 70 to 80 bucks. Could we call it a good contender against the AD700? In terms of price and the sound signature it offers?

Im mainly talking about gaming here though.

Ad700 is king for competitive fps being a 10 but the 9500 would probably be a 7.5 or 8 but soundstage wise, 9500 still fars short against the ad700

the shp9500 matches SBX quite good. I can hear the footsteps of nearby enemies in BF4, sound from far or near. Sounds kind of oval shaped rather than circular though. The rear does lack clarity though, not sure, I have to test it more and see why it may lack some clarity. Maybe changing the SBX surround setting a bit may pop out the rear speakers more..?

Dec 4, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #49 of 2,061
rudyae86 no one told you these weren't available, i think you misinterpreted poorly marketed by Phillips stateside for not available. I told you about them and I didnt sell to you on e-bay, not sure where you got your false conclusions.

In short, don't whine and call people out because you're unhappy you don't own a rare $70-80 headphone which were originally going for $160. Grow up

Dec 4, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #51 of 2,061
rudyae86 no one told you these weren't available, i think you misinterpreted poorly marketed by Phillips stateside for not available. I told you about them and I didnt sell to you on e-bay, not sure where you got your false conclusions.

In short, don't whine and call people out because you're unhappy you don't own a rare $70-80 headphone which were originally going for $160. Grow up

Also, they are not rare, there are plenty of them out there, just like you said, poor marketing, but if i know something, theres always someone thats a seller from ebay or something, but pretends to be a forum member. Seen this before on overclock.net forums as well.

Im sorry you had to misunderstand this...

But evidently i was not blaming you. Since you have a good profile going on.

Apologies if you misunderstood the post

Dec 12, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #55 of 2,061
Can someone who owns these take a picture of the baffle and the inside of a cup for me? I only need to see the back side of the baffle where the drivers mount. I'd really appreciate it.

Dec 12, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #56 of 2,061
The headphones aren't meant to be serviced and to access any screws would mean taking (ripping) the ear pads off and ruining them.
Can someone who owns these take a picture of the baffle and the inside of a cup for me? I only need to see the back side of the baffle where the drivers mount. I'd really appreciate it.

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #58 of 2,061
Unless there's a way to do it from the grill and removing the driver from the back? I don't see it happening without the pads having to be taken off though.

The other problem is the large opening for your ears, it doesn't look like your standard oval ear pads so fitting one on from another headphone probably won't work.

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #60 of 2,061
Well that is a huge bummer. I'm looking for a headphone to retrofit a 53mm driver into, but I guess these are out of the question then.

Thanks for the info!

Actually the drivers in these are the best part, and with easy mods become better than modded T50RPs IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back