Philips SHP8000 - sweet but import only for USA
Feb 16, 2013 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ourfpshero

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently bought a philips SHP8000, has to be imported, not available in USA. I like the philips uptown, but it is too hard to drive as a  portable, and true to Philips, have a design mistake (lousy cheap cable and volume control). So I spotted these a while back and since I liked some of philips lower end shp series, I decided to take a chance. 

They came from Taiwan in 6 days, $78 shipped, the box they come in is pretty sturdy with way too much cardboard! In the box is just the headphones and an extension cable. These are very lightweight, have a plastic headband with metal sliders, a foam-plasticy inner headband, plastic cups, very nice circumaural memory foam cushions, and a sturdy (very sturdy for Philips) cable. One small etched logo on the center cap of each cup are the only markings. 

The fir is very comfortable, they dont squeeze, and the cushions are very very soft. Those with large ears might not fit inside the cups though. These are extremely easy to drive for full size cans, my android phone drove them very nicely, no amp needed. 

The sound- these are a very 'V' shaped sound curve, with emphasis on bass and treble. The sound is very close to a Beats Pro and a Sony xb500 (I have both, and a genuine beats pro sounds very nice, took 5 tries to get a real one lol ). The beats pro has more highs and mids but less bass, the xb500 has more bass but less everything else. 
On very bass heavy music these can get overpowering, especially on an amped system. on a portable they are great. I personally like rock music, so the bass rarely overpowers. Trying some Adele on my android phone is very sweet, as the bass lines come out nicely with her clear upper mid voice. These are definitely for the person who wants a fun sound like a beats, sony xb, or beyer dt770 pro type.

1st pic shows a Brainwavz hms, then the shp800, then an a900x for size comparison

Feb 17, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #2 of 7
edited/subscribed

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #4 of 7
soudstage is decent for a closed headphone- seems wide but not expansive, 3d imaging with dolby headphone in games is decent. As for details, these are decent on the high end, but not extremely detailed, bass is very textured, bass detail is great. 

Feb 17, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #6 of 7
I would say no, too bassy, i listened to some 'cello wars' lol , and I find not enough high end for that genre

Users who are viewing this thread

Back