Philips SHN9500
Jun 26, 2007 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Mr. Browstone

New Head-Fier
Hi, i've been reading these forums for a little while now but this is my first post.I bought these nice cans http://amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000G35S08/...pf_rd_i=507846
for only 45.00 USD and i was wondering if i'm going to need an amplifier to really enjoy them. What should i get, a good amplifier or a "real" pair of headphones?
tongue.gif

Thanks.

Jun 27, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 12
1. noise cancelling technology is regarded as junk technology in this forum
2. I don't think you should ever use an amp on headphones with noise cancelling because it might fry the noise cancelling circuitry.(someone comment on this because I'm not quite sure as I do not have a pair of noise cancelling headphones)
3. philips is not Reputable for their headphones in this forum ,but they did make a couple of good ones. though, your pair might sound good since it's one of the pricier models.

It might be enjoyable ampless with the noise cancelling turned off.

Jun 27, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 12
I am of the opinion that almost any headphone benefits from amplification.
Phillips has made some nice headphones. I have no idea if this is one or not.
I don't think #2 will be an issue based on the way noise cancellation works. The headphone itself generates the noise canceling signal (and so it would not be amplified by a separate amp).
Don't expect too much noise cancellation of higher frequencies (I think 80% is a very optimistic number...
rolleyes.gif

Just let your ears be the judge
smily_headphones1.gif
If it sounds good to you, ignore the naysayers
wink.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 12
Great, thanks for the advice.
Actually, the sound isolation is pretty good for long trips or noisy places. But it really kills all the bass from the headphones. It can be turned off so it's really ok.
I think im going to get an amp... but i'd like to spend no more than 50 USD on this one. What should i get?

Jun 27, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #5 of 12
I have also been looking at that phone, but my sales place does not want to put any batteries in it, so I can not hear what they sound like..

But thay are so very comfortable...

The price has also gone down quite a bit, so enjoy your phones and keep us posted on what you think of them..

That Philips get low interest around here, I think is more due to that people does not know or own them, than Philips quality in headphones..
Also that the bulk of people here are from the USA, where they are not as easy to obtain than here in Europe, at least that is my impression..

Jun 27, 2007 at 9:26 AM Post #6 of 12
Well if you end up buying them, post your impressions on how they sound.

Probably they will sound terrible. For half the price (in USA anyway... Double anywhere else!), you could get the Koss KSC-75 or the JVC Marshmallow. Both of them are VERY well thought of and would probably completly spankify the Philips.

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:52 AM Post #7 of 12
I really do not like the Marshmellows, not mids hurting highs and blurting bass...

In my world a lot of phones use marshmellows to whipe the floors....

Where my Philips HP1000 spankify (cool word) a lot of more expensive phones...

So I am not sure we agree on this subjekt..

I can not comment on the KSC because, I do not have them, and will probably never get them...

Jun 27, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where my Philips HP1000 spankify (cool word) a lot of more expensive phones...

These KSCs would definitely kick your HP1000's butt. When's the match?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can not comment on the KSC because, I do not have them, and will probably never get them...

Oh? Are you scared??
very_evil_smiley.gif
cool.gif
wink.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 12
Philips makes good headphones(althought they do make alot of bad ones too) and I'm pretty sure the philips hp1000 can beat the ksc75. Philips has made some nice phones (granted that they rebrand alot as many general electronic manufactures do) and they used to get more praise in this forum, but this forum doesn't have many philips headphone owner as before because no one is taking chances on new philips headphones instead all new comers are buying marshmallows, ksc75 and many of the other headphones which are know to be good.

Jun 27, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #11 of 12
Sounds like the OP is satisfied with the sound. And let's admit it, head-fi is not terribly friendly to noise-canceling headphones almost on a dogmatic level. I think for $45 if you can get okay-sound with okay-NC then it's money well spent. Sure, there are better choices in that price range for sound quality alone, but noise cancelling territory is quite under-explored on head-fi in my opinion.

Anyway, it's not worth it to get an amp. A lot of beginners end up making the mistake of pairing cheap(er) headphones with cheap(er) amps when what they should've done was spend the money on a pair of decent headphones. I say use your amp budget to buy a pair of KSC75 and tell us which sounds better, your Phillips or the Koss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back