Philips SHE9700.. improves as days go by?!!
Sep 29, 2009 at 6:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

borjok536

100+ Head-Fier
I have my Philips SHE9700 almost 1 month already, and i noticed a slight improvement in terms of sound. Anyone here have noticed this too (unless im the only one who is using this) lol..

Sep 29, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #2 of 3
What you notice is what some believe to be 'burn-in'. Search around the forum to find out more.

Sep 25, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 3
I have had these philips headphones for 3 weeks with about 1.5 weeks of at playtime. The 9700 highs sounded distant and the highs and bass were nearly completely absent on first impression. I really wanted to like these headphones badly given their reviews here as an improvement over the 3580's, which were great on initial listen.

Having faith in the audiophiles who recommended these, the burn in persisted and now have marginally improved what sounded somewhat flat overall if im honest. It wasnt until i tossed the stock ear plugs and switched to the Sony hybrid plugs (rubber with foam insert backing) and going through the sizes to find the proper fit that i was finally blessed with quality sound. I had always thought that the fit was adequate with the stock medium tips but these ear buds could not sound this badly to come recommended.

The 9700's are now fitted with the small peach colored earbuds offering the best seal and seating the drivers furthest into the ear canal. The highs. There is a step up in clarity and further bass range over the 3580s.However there is a range of frequency between the mids and bass that seems to be lacking. Sorry i dont know the terminology to explain this any better. I am playing these off the ipod touch unamplified with no EQ so there likely will be improvement with minor adjustment.Also the bass hopefully will loosen and become richer once the burn in reaches the 100 hour mark.

The 9700s with the sony earplugs have now proven to be a decent universal headphone IME worthy of recommendation. These came at $22 where the 3580s were $8. While i dont think these are 3X better, they do offer a better overall sound so long as the correct seal and fit are there. These are definitely worth recommending in a sub $25 category.

Hope this helps...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back