Philips SBC-HP1000?
Nov 14, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #31 of 44
How is the soundstage between HD595 and HD580? And the bass? Is there much difference in extension and strenght? I have heard HD595 once, but never HD580.

Nov 14, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #32 of 44
Because the 595s are angled towards the ears, there's slightly less soundstage and quite a bit of brightness. Of course, since it's lower impedence, it's going to sound more dynamic without an amp over the 580. I think the bass is pretty good on the 595....maybe just a hair less bass on it then the 580. Though since the 580 has more treble roll off, and a larger soundstage, its bass response seems better extended. I don't know if you've listened to the K501, but the 580's soundstage is slightly back from the 595s, and very forward from the 501s (which have too big of a soundstage by my ears).

The mids seem to really open up on the 595s with an amp. 580s really need an amp to get detail and extension. If you've had an oportunity to hear the 600, the 580 is practically the same (just bass response maybe ever so slightly less refined because of the grills).

The 595s aren't bad phones either....yes, the 580/600 is a better favorite for classical. But the 595s seem to open up with my system upgrades as well. They're really letting me anylize the new SACDs I'm getting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa
How is the soundstage between HD595 and HD580? And the bass? Is there much difference in extension and strenght? I have heard HD595 once, but never HD580.

Nov 15, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa
Thanks. Surround amplifier? I wonder how crap it might sound.
icon10.gif

They don't sound crap. I use one as a preamp.

Nov 15, 2006 at 10:55 AM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
They don't sound crap. I use one as a preamp.

I think of surround effects for stereo reproduction as just a fancy kind of crossfeed, which of course has its place.

Nov 15, 2006 at 11:00 AM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega
I think of surround effects for stereo reproduction as just a fancy kind of crossfeed, which of course has its place.

I don't use the surround effects, just straight stereo simulation.

Nov 15, 2006 at 11:13 AM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
I don't use the surround effects, just straight stereo simulation.

I see, you're saying the piece of equipment itself isn't crap. I've only ever used the surround option on my TBAAM. I'm generally skeptical of such things, but I've found that a few recordings-- mainly electronic music of which I don't have much-- seem to have been mixed with the assumption that I would use some kind of surround sound. What I mean is they sound unnatural without it, but then the imaging comes crisply into place once it's on.

Nov 15, 2006 at 11:18 AM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega
I see, you're saying the piece of equipment itself isn't crap. I've only ever used the surround option on my TBAAM. I'm generally skeptical of such things, but I've found that a few recordings-- mainly electronic music of which I don't have much-- seem to have been mixed with the assumption that I would use some kind of surround sound. What I mean is they sound unnatural without it, but then the imaging comes crisply into place once it's on.

The point of matrix decoding is to decode things that have been matrix encoded with surround and centre channels (what they used in the good ol' days before descrete multichannel audio). I have no qualms sending a Dolby Surround track through PLII, but I wouldn't use it otherwise.

It's always raised an eyebrow with me the way people seem to make that giant non sequitur link that Dolby Headphone = Dolby Pro Logic.

Sep 17, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #40 of 44
Hi guys,

I bought a few months ago a Philips HP1000, purchased from a nice head-Fi user. The phone is practically new.

The problem is, unfortunately, that this phone does not suit my musical taste or my set-up is not the height of this phone.

Paired with my Sansa Fuse, Fiio E5 (sound a litle bit dry, better to my taste) or Minibox-D (the sound is very soft here), his sound is overall too soft and rolled up for my taste, always listening classic rock (Doors, Tull, Yes, Dire Straits, Creedence, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Beatles, etc).

My basis for comparison is a fully burned Koss PortaPro (phone which I love) and a Philips 2700, fully modded. The Koss has a dry and fast sound, sometimes a little bit metallic, but loses in definition for the HP1000. Already the sound of the Philips 2700 remembers far the HP1000, but loses in definition, mids and highs. The overall sound is a little rolled up, but i like his dry bass.

I'm not saying, even remotely, that the Philips HP1000 is a bad phone, since its possible to hear many new nuances in the very knowledge sound, but, unfortunately, their sound does not thrill me

I've read here that this phone is considered the "HD600 poor man´s". But why I do not like his sound? I also will not like the HD650 or HD600, for example?

The question is: How the experts rate the sound of this phone? How does it compare to a Koss PortaPro, for example? The sound of the HP1000 can be considered what do you call "dark"? My set-up is the culprit in not properly excite this phone?

Sorry about my poor english.

Thanks a lot,

Peter

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #41 of 44
Now, I never got a chance to hear this headphone but it was often said to similar to Sennheiser HD595, only better. So, yes you are most likely not a Sennheiser guy. They (usually) make very laidback and warm sounding headphones, and this is not a good match for rock IMHO. You should check out Grado headphones for complete opposite sound. Sharp, in-your-face and punchy.

Sep 17, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #43 of 44
Equivalent? Technically just Grado SR60 already destroys Porta Pro when it comes to fidelity. All Grados have same basic sound signature, with bit peaky treble and upper midrange but still warm midrange and bass that is punchy and tight and not bloated. Might seem bit bass light after Porta Pro but latter just has very pronounced bass. It just gets more refined as model number increases and wooden RS ones get thicker extra touch to midrange. Overall Grados have best electric guitar sound that I have heard so far.

SR80 (non-i) model is a good place to start. I dont know about these newer i models, how they differ from older ones but I do not like the idea that they switched pads to SR60's comfy pads on SR80-SR125 models which IMO sound inferior from bowl pads that older SR80-125 had on default. (changing pads on Grados changes the sound rather dramatically. For example, TTVJ flats makes grados almost bass monsters) Perhaps the drivers are tuned differently to sound better on comfies, but I doubt it.

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #44 of 44
Hello Cardoso.
If you love KOSS Portapro, you should try KOSS UR-40 Derfmod with the burned-in drivers from your Portapro.
I hope you will enjoy this mod.
BTW I do think PHILIPS SBC-HP1000 is a weird looking lightweight piece of stadivarius headphones and that they are not rocking like Portapro at all, but still they are screw**g good precise cans for all music types but rock.
Hope this helps.
Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back