Philips SBC HP1000 Review and Impressions
Nov 2, 2010 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

swbf2cheater

Headphoneus Supremus

( specs taken from dealsdirect )

Not too long ago, I was roaming ebay aimlessly in the late at night when I came across an auction for a mint condition Philips SBC HP 1000 set of headphones with all originals.  I was very upset over not having sufficient funds in paypal to bid on it, as the auction only had about an hour and half left.  I continued my surfing and was very depressed,as this is a set ive always wanted to own and never listened to before.  About an hour later, a family member got up to go to work and came to sit here in my living room.  They asked me why i seemed a bit down and I explained, this auction for headphones ive always wanted and are rarely ever listed is about to end, and for a crazy low price.  To make a long story short, they loaned me $ and I sprinted to the 24-hour grocery store and picked up a paypal greendot card, added the funds, and bid on this item with 5 minutes left.  I won.  I was so happy, many reviews said this can was almost as good as the Sennheiser HD580. Well, they were right...sorta :p

Lets start with packaging.  The box is gorgeous inside.  The headphones rest right on this soft fabric that has a mold underneath to fit the headphones.  Not much else to say, its a basic looking box on the outside, as soon as I opened it i was surprised to see something like that inside...had no clue it was that nice :p

So lets talk about aesthetics and comfort.  In my opinion they are among the best looking cans ever.  I've drooled over them for years.  The entire set is made of a very thin feeling plastic.  It feels very hallow and I see why people say it could break easy.  I wouldn't go as far as some others say though, in that it will just randomly pull a Vegeta on me and yell
ITS OVER 9000!!!! and then explode into a ball of flame.  Seems like if you dont toss them around they will be just fine.  Definitely a substandard quality in the plastics used though.  The Grills also feel kind of gradoish, easily bent metal.  They are semi open.  ANGLED DRIVERS JUST LIKE THE AD700s

*I will be comparing them to the HD580 and the ad700s, as this hp1000 seems like the illegitimate son of both
smily_headphones1.gif

Having said that, the earpads are a 10/10 in comfort.  They are equally as comfortable as the AD700 pads but these are actually circumaurial and do not just cover your ears and a hefty amount of your noggin as the audio technica ad700s do.  
They are extremely soft and have a great amount of give.  There is almost no clamp what so ever.  The ad700s have more clamp factor.  They also share the flying wing design.  Here in lay a small gripe.  The set is heavier than the Ad700s by a solid 25% or so.  That headband is a strong piece of metal, the entire top end of the headphones are very heavy, much more heavy than the cups and bottom area so it feels clunkier than the ad700s.  The pads on the wings are also not as comfortable or well padded as the AD700 and are attached to a FIXED HEADBAND ADJUSTMENT system.  You will notice buttons on each side that you need to press to adjust your band to your liking.  The center does not separate like the ad700 do. 

If I had to rate them on a scale of 1-10 in terms of comfort, Id give them a solid 8/10.  If that headband were a bit lighter and gave a little more, this could very well be the most comfortable set ever made.   I'dgive the ad700s a 8.5/10.  Both of them evaporate on your head after a few minutes.  

Overall Sound quality is excellent.  They are a bit more clear sounding than the AD700s.  A common statement is that they are closer to the HD 580s.  In terms of sound quality, this is untrue.  In terms of presentation, this is more true than false.  They are VERY Sennheiserish.  They are not as forward as the AD700, but they are closer to the HD580 in sound stage, balance and overall presentation.  It also changes very well with different amps ( more on this later)

The bass is warm and fuzzy and very much to my liking.  It is not exaggerated in the slightest.  It's got a hell of a lot more bass than the AD700, but not as much as the Hd600 did.  This set is one of the most nicely balanced sets I've ever used in this budget range ( sub $150 ) It is incredibly laid back and and immensely enjoyable.  Relaxing.  You will never say there is too much of anything going on.  Coloration is again, very sennheiser.   Direct comparison with the ad700 proves its not nearly as colored sounding.  

Soundstage is beautiful and large, very spacious but one thing that I immediately noticed was there is significantly more layering in the HP1000 than the AD700s.  Meaning depth in field ( audio ) in front of you.  It does not extend as far up or to the side as the ad700, but its got better depth.  The stage is less tall than it is wide, but still very wide.  I think this soundstage is PERFECT ( for me at least anyway )  Im in love.  Its just right.  Its not too big and separation is sublime.  
Classical, Rock and Metal sound fantastic.  Impressive even considering this price tag.  

Mids and highs are lush for the lack of a better word, very smooth and again, very forgiving and relaxing.  Nothing sticks out more than the other ( highs mids and lows ) at least to my ears.  The highs thankfully are not shrilling, and i really do not know what else to say except its not at all fatiguing.  High hats and clap sounds are very punchy with a lot of kick to the point of almost needing to blink slightly if volume is set too high.

This set, and a few others that will go unnamed do not have correct ohmage rating.  There is no way this set is 32ohm.  Neither are the AD700s.  both of them are lacking heavily direct from a sansa fuze, something that plays my 32ohm phiaton ms400 with ease and with a lot of kick and volume.  The HP1000 is harder to drive than the ad700s, direct comparison with the same gear ( ibasso d1 + fuze/Foobar2000 + flac ) shows the Philips noticeably harder to drive, the same songs compared will sound less loud and have a lot less kick on the HP1000s.  The Ibasso D1 by itself in portable mode is not nearly enough to maximize your experience.  However, when its hooked up to my pc, the sound improved greatly.  The Stage was noticeably wider and more spacious....just like the HD580 would do
smily_headphones1.gif

I am not too happy about the input into the can, it only supports a 2.5mm adapter.  I had hoped it was a 3.5mm as people said it took a standard jack...it doesnt.   It also has a bayonet locker like the shures have, a 10ft ribbed for your pleasure jet black cord.  The adapter heads on the ad700 and hp1000 are very similar and look and feel almost identical.  

Overall I am extremely pleased with them and pray they dont break as easily as people say.  They are basically the offspring of the Sennheiser HD580 in terms of presentation, and the AD700 in terms of design.  I love them dearly.
The sound quality is not as good as the hd580, and its not as large sounding as the ad700, its stage is a different shape completely.  The set was discontinued YEARS ago. 

9/10 

Nov 2, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 14
I believe the 3D Wing system from Audio Technica is patented? Either way the construction seen on the Philips here seems less good because the wings stick together.

BTW is that headband sharp on the edges? Seems like you could cut your fingers on that accidentally.

Nov 5, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 14
Thanks for the review!
You say the sound quality isn't as good as the HD580, but how close do they come? I'm thinking of getting a pair of the Philips and the price difference is certainly there. Also do you think something like the FiiO e5 would be able to drive these?

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #5 of 14
Ya, its not nearly as clear as the HD580.  It's more comparable to the AD700, just a bit more clear.  The bass is excellent on the hp1000 though.  Not too much, not at all lacking and very clean.  

My Ibasso D1 cant drive them, there is no way the Fiio e5 could.  Not even close, and as I said they are much harder to drive than the AD700s, but just like the HD580 these HP1000s seem to change well with your amp choice.  Whoever said the Philips SBC hp1000 sounds like the HD 580 in terms of clarity needs to be reprimanded, lol.  It's got a similar sennheiser sound, meaning a more distant wider than tall sound, staging is similar.   So in that respect, yes its a lot like the HD580, just not as clear.

Nov 6, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #6 of 14
Although I've read this forum for a while I never had the time to start this hobby; so I'm still relatively new to all of this. I really like the sound of these headphones. Now that you have a pair do you have a recommendation on an amp to use in the $200 range, or even better a portable amp that could bring some more life to these? Thanks!

Quote:
Ya, its not nearly as clear as the HD580.  It's more comparable to the AD700, just a bit more clear.  The bass is excellent on the hp1000 though.  Not too much, not at all lacking and very clean.  

My Ibasso D1 cant drive them, there is no way the Fiio e5 could.  Not even close, and as I said they are much harder to drive than the AD700s, but just like the HD580 these HP1000s seem to change well with your amp choice.  Whoever said the Philips SBC hp1000 sounds like the HD 580 in terms of clarity needs to be reprimanded, lol.  It's got a similar sennheiser sound, meaning a more distant wider than tall sound, staging is similar.   So in that respect, yes its a lot like the HD580, just not as clear.

Nov 6, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #7 of 14
Nov 6, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #8 of 14
Doing some searching it looks like a lot of people love the HP1000 with Secret Amp http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/972446
I'm trying to contact the store about pricing to the states.

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #10 of 14
No it's definitely the Philips:
http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/244242

It's just that they talk about this amp for many other headphones too.
Quote:
think they mean Grado HP1000 :p

not the philips lol

Nov 10, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #11 of 14
How nice, a Philips headphone gets some attention and well deservedly so. 

Regarding amplification, I still use the headphone outs of my CD-players which are all Philips. But yes the HP1000 needs power and my CD-players have ample of power. 

My impression is that the HP1000 is more a listening headphone than for studio or monitoring. For just listening it was close to my K240 DF. I would say the HP1000 is a chameleon type headphone with a very effortless sound delivery. I could write more but I still have to get some sleep and writing more would include some test tracks to get a good impression right away. 

I am in doubt keeping it or selling/giving it away. 

Nov 11, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #13 of 14
We will see...
wink.gif

I think the Philips is a piece of original design by Philips. Even so a lot of headphones share similarities.

Regarding amplification anything powerful with a good signal will do depending on your taste. If I am correct the vintage 8 ohm headphones are even worse sometimes. 

Update (about noon-ish): 
Listening with some test tracks. 1. Bach's "Toccata Und Fuge in D minor", and old DG recording which sounded almost perfect as if I was there. If only the sound stage was a bit larger with more transparency... 2. Massive Attack's "Angel" which sounded dark, bassy and scary but so trippy. 3. For A Minor Reflection's "Átta" which is filled with highs, lows, loud percussion, bass and just chaotic noise in dynamics which just add to the enjoyment of this track. Again a bit more transparency and instrument seperation would help and the bass goes deep sounding dark in contrast with clear definition. 4. Kyuss' "Apothecaries' Weight" followed by track 5: "50 Million Year Trip" also by Kyuss. Now if the bass through the HP1000 would be fuzzy the bass lines would sound awful and the bass lines sound quite good, very well defined if I may believe my ears. In my experience Kyuss grooves are excellent indicators if the bass definition is good enough for they can sound fuzzy and defined and heavy at the same time which really exposes how good your headphones sound. 6. Miles Davis' "So What" is next for Jazzy bass matters too and may I add that I do not hear fuzziness? In fact I hear the strings being plucked and the natural heaviness and sound coming out of the instrument, almost as if I am there. The track on the whole sounds so good I do not want to make or hear other sounds than breathing and the music. 

In short: the HP1000 sounds clear, well defined over the whole frequency range, sometimes bassy, lifelike detail and almost perfect sound stage for my tastes. With Orchestral and Classical music music which was recorded in a building with church acoustics or similar sound effects upping the volume 'a bit' helps. Otherwise do not underestimate the sound quality of this headphone for I regard it as a chameleon, it does a lot of music justice. Right now I am playing some J-Pop/Rock and I can only conclude I am a lucky man... (Vocals sound no less than impressive.)

Set up: Philips CD690 + Philips SBC HP1000 with all music coming from the original CDs. (Really, a good integrated CD-player with ample of power and a good headphone amplification system can do justice to the HP1000 
atsmile.gif
.)

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #14 of 14
^ Deep Funk speaks the truth lol

some amazing staging tracks from my collection include

-Fanfare/Space Saver by Alexander Courage off the Superman IV soundtrack.  

-Spain by Selmer 607 featuring Benoit Convert and Adrien Moignard 

-Thunder Current by Frank Gambale

-Solo In B Minor - Jack Thamarat

The above tracks are simply stunning in FLAC lossless and well amped with the HP1000.  The better your amp, the better they sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back