Philips HP460 vs ATH-FC7 ???
Aug 14, 2006 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

hulkster

100+ Head-Fier
Need good set of somewhat closed cans that don't leak out too much sound, as I am moving into a dorm this fall. Which one do you guys think are bettwer between the two? I searched, but noone seems to have directly compared the two exclusively...

I will be primarily using my laptop (soon to come) and my zen vision m. For these purposes, i would need one that folds up nicely to travel with in my backpack.

And please provide reasons for which one you chose. Thanks

Aug 14, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 19
"good set of somewhat closed cans that don't leak out too much sound" makes me think AKG K81DJ.

However, I've heard decent things about the FC7... they seem pretty good. Maybe muddy bass but that gives them the "groovy" character.

Aug 14, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #3 of 19
I was highly disappointed with the ATH-FC7 when I was looking for a closed portable a while ago. I second the K 81 DJ recommendation. Best closed portable under $70 (you can get it cheaper on eBay from fascinationproductions, offer $55).

I have not heard the HP460, however. I am kind of curious, but I'm a bit peeved that it has in-line volume control. Then again, I'm also peeved that the K 81 DJ's cord is so long. Meh.

Aug 14, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 19
I haven't heard the AT's, but I have just done an A/B with the K81dj and the HP460, and I couldn't say for sure which one was better. If it was the K81, it was by a narrow margin, at least on lower-end equipment. I'm thinking of giving them another try against one another sometime soon, to take more careful note of how they compare.

Aug 14, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #5 of 19
Interesting. the thing is, The Hp460s are cheaper, although almost every online retailer will not ship to Canada, ebay is empty as well. The k81 DJ sound Ideal, but It will set me back at least $100CAD to get them, unless the seller on ebay as mentioned has more in stock and will ship to Canada. I shall probe deeper....

Aug 15, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega
I haven't heard the AT's, but I have just done an A/B with the K81dj and the HP460, and I couldn't say for sure which one was better. If it was the K81, it was by a narrow margin, at least on lower-end equipment. I'm thinking of giving them another try against one another sometime soon, to take more careful note of how they compare.

Ah yes, a supporter of my clan.
rolleyes.gif

I thought that myself. The sound between the K81DJ's and the HP460's are VERY similar.

A more detailed review will be provided for you people once I get my own pair of K81DJ's on my doorstep.

Aug 15, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by hulkster
Interesting. the thing is, The Hp460s are cheaper, although almost every online retailer will not ship to Canada, ebay is empty as well. The k81 DJ sound Ideal, but It will set me back at least $100CAD to get them, unless the seller on ebay as mentioned has more in stock and will ship to Canada. I shall probe deeper....

Get someone trustworthy here and ask them to buy and ship the HP460's for you.
I was lucky enough to get on off eBay for $41CDN shipped half a year ago.

Aug 15, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Get someone trustworthy here and ask them to buy and ship the HP460's for you.
I was lucky enough to get on off eBay for $41CDN shipped half a year ago.

Hmm. I found a few places that ship internationally if you call by phone, going to try them tomorrow morning. I'll see how shipping is...

So it looks like the front runners are the HP460 (~50CAD) or the K81DJ (~73CAD) Do you guys think the K81s are worth the extra price over the hp460s? Or is the difference so negligable it woulden't matter (I am no an audiophile by any means).

Nsjong, how is the build quality of the hp460s? I would be taking em around school, probably tossing em in my bag and such , will I be worrying about them breaking?

Aug 15, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #11 of 19
What I really don't like is the little part where the drivers connect to the headband on the K81DJ's. Whomever came up with this design meant it to break so you had to buy a new one.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 15, 2006 at 9:45 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
Ah yes, a supporter of my clan.
rolleyes.gif

I thought that myself. The sound between the K81DJ's and the HP460's are VERY similar.

A more detailed review will be provided for you people once I get my own pair of K81DJ's on my doorstep.

Hey, nsjong, you take the lead, I'll dive in too with a comparison, and maybe we can scare up some more HP460 people to come into the fray. If memory serves, it was jimmyjames8 who was the first to sing the praises of the 460-- maybe he'll come in.

It isn't only SQ, but build quality, size, and appearance that put these two headphones on the same level, and if anything the Philips is the more comfortable headphone. There's been WAY too much K81dj hype on head-fi since they came out, while the HP460 hasn't had any credit just because it's from Philips. At its low price, the HP460 may be the fabled KSC-75 of the closed headphone world the everyone is always looking for. At least it's a much better candidate than the mixed-bag HD201 ever was.

Of course, this is all idle talk until we do some more critical A/B testing to make sure our supposition is right. Let the games begin!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back