Philips Golden Ears challenge
Mar 16, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #181 of 331
Wow the frequency band part on golden ears is less a gauge for being able to detect subtleties and more a memorization fest... All the different cut-offs/boosts are easily distinguishable from each other, and the normal version - til you have to name the exact band.

Mar 16, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #182 of 331
  The only one in the Golden Ear test I can't get past is that frequency band part!
I will need to read up and understand it better I think. I got everything else though.

You'll make it; it's "only" a matter of training! "Frequency band" and "MP3 Artefacts" have definitely proved to be the most difficult challenges for most people.

Mar 16, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #183 of 331
You'll make it; it's "only" a matter of training! "Frequency band" and "MP3 Artefacts" have definitely proved to be the most difficult challenges for most people.

Thanks, yeah I will keep listening and learning. Are there more resources out there to learn how to determine which frequency band is boosted or cut?
And yeah I also had a little trouble with the mp3 artifacts but managed to get through it ok.. The frequency bands seem to be the killer for me!

Mar 16, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #184 of 331

Thanks, yeah I will keep listening and learning. Are there more resources out there to learn how to determine which frequency band is boosted or cut?
And yeah I also had a little trouble with the mp3 artifacts but managed to get through it ok.. The frequency bands seem to be the killer for me!

Not that I'm aware of I'm afraid. I considered using the EQ in Media Center 18 for practice but eventually felt the training you can have directly on their site is the most convenient.

I felt exactly the same way initially, but with a bit of practice (quite a lot actually) I finally nailed it, and I'm sure you'll eventually nail it as well. Just keep going, and when you get (really) tired, take a break and come back later.

Good luck, and remember to announce your victory once you've gotten your Golden Ears! I (and many other Head-Fi:ers I hope) will be there to congratulate you! 
size]

Mar 17, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #186 of 331
Definitely getting better at these frequency bands - The hardest ones for me are 8k and 16k - I'm having a hard time distinguishing those - the others I can get most of the time, though!
I hate to win through guessing on those ones (if I even can!!), so hopefully the more I do this the more I can distinguish!

Mar 17, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #188 of 331
  Stuck here:-

I'd really like to get this. I'm 62 years old.

w

Compared to you I'm really young, 10 years younger to be precise! 
wink.gif

Can't hear sinus tones above about 11 kHz but somehow managed to nail it nevertheless, but I oh yes, it was a tough challenge.

Don't know how come, but even when I change the 16 kHz bar EQ in JRiver Media Center, I can still hear a faint difference. I wonder why. Anyone?

Anyway, hang in there, you'll make it!

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #192 of 331
So, I'm coming at this from the perspective of a musician (been training since age 4 and training as a musician at university right now... also grew up on a pair of Vandersteen 3a sigs) and I managed to get through the golden ears on a pair of Audioengine A2s.  The difference between the high quality lossless and 44khz files probably gave me the biggest trouble.  I compared notes with my father who is an audiophile but has had next to no musical training, and he struggled much more on the timbre and equalization tests than I did.  Strangely, I tend to be more ok with colored and less-than-flat gear than he is.  Weird.  Cool test though; showed it some friends of mine.  The non musicians did better than I expected - goes to show that even the average listener can pick out good or bad sound!

Mar 19, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #193 of 331
I too am a musician (well I play an instrument so I guess that counts) and I also went through the timbre tests with relative ease. I couldn't necessarily point out the specific defects of the songs but something always sounded a bit off. Strangely though, I didn't find the mp3 tests as difficult as many others here. Like with the timbre tests, something just sounded a bit off in comparison to the other 2 samples which is how I found them, though I might have just been lucky because there were only 4 questions to pass and the first 2 instances were very easy anyways. I actually had the most mistakes in the golden ears bass quantity part most likely because my earphones go a bit light on the bass.

Mar 20, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #195 of 331
Getting smashed by the frequency boost/cut section in the Golden level. :-/
I can get 2 or 3 right, then I fail a bunch and it sends me back to the start of the challenge :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back