Philips Fidelio X3
Oct 21, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #1,126 of 1,964
Does this metallic sound you refer to, wouldn't it be a matter of waiting for a break-in / burn-in 200/300 hours?
I am not sure what you mean, but I have never stated the X3s sound metallic. They are free from that. There is clearly some treble emphasize, but a very agreeable one to my ears the least. I don't know how much hours of music I have played on them, but it must be around 160 hours.

Oct 21, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #1,127 of 1,964
I am not sure what you mean, but I have never stated the X3s sound metallic. They are free from that. There is clearly some treble emphasize, but a very agreeable one to my ears the least. I don't know how much hours of music I have played on them, but it must be around 160 hours.
Your opinion about the X3 is very exclarecedora, you have several headphones, X2, HD650 ....... can make good comparisons AxB tests

I am curious to know about the X3 vs HE400i

I saw a pages ago someone talking about selling your used X3, but I didn't find it anymore. :frowning2:

Oct 22, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #1,129 of 1,964
Oct 22, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #1,130 of 1,964
Yikes! Look at that graph. I definitely wouldn't have goten a pair if saw that graph first. This is worse than a Beyer peak LOL
https://www.lbtechreviews.com/test/headphones/philips-fidelio-x3
1603395264458.png

Attachments

• 1603395099919.png
    1603395099919.png
    424.3 KB · Views: 0
Oct 22, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #1,131 of 1,964
Philips gave us the finger :)
1603395598483.png

Oct 22, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #1,132 of 1,964
Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #1,133 of 1,964
That other graph is more representative of what I hear. There doesn't seem to be this much peak in those frequencies relative to everything else.
I agree.

Oct 22, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #1,134 of 1,964
Oct 23, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #1,135 of 1,964
After listening more and more to the X2 and hearing impressions on the X3, it seems like the X3 is basically a fixed X2. Less bass, which is good, better cleaner treble and faster drivers. Until this point I thought the driver is relatively fast in comparison to the K702 but I was wrong and it is actually the other way around. While K702 has fast drivers the speed is masked by the reverb it has, the X2 lacks the reverb and you can actually hear the driver wobble. Really weird. So it seems X3 fixes that too.
This just makes it even less understandable how reviwers like Joshua Valour bash it in comparison to the X2 though.

Oct 23, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #1,136 of 1,964
I don't think Joshua and DMS bash the X3 for their improved technicalities in comparison with the X2s, but for their departure in tonal character. It is the position they take in. They are less fun than the X2s (the whole point of X2s existence) and they are less neutral and resolving than the HD6XXs, HD58Xs and Sundara's. So there is little to no reason getting a pair. I get their point, but what if someone wants a fun pair of headphones that is slightly more neutral-ish tuned?

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #1,137 of 1,964
I just got my pair in. I won't have time to really listen to them for a couple days but I do think they look nice. Build quality is solid and they are really light. The headband has too much tension but I remember the X2 having the same issue at first. I'm stretching it right now. I like the cable, and I actually need a long cable.

Oct 23, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #1,138 of 1,964
Yikes! Look at that graph. I definitely wouldn't have goten a pair if saw that graph first. This is worse than a Beyer peak LOL
https://www.lbtechreviews.com/test/headphones/philips-fidelio-x3

Yeah that's pretty much what I can hear. LOL
They sound ok with non aggressive music, but they are not a general purpose headphone. With a bass roll off starting at 80 hz they are clearly aiming for a very specific crowd. Their video promo for the headphones shows musicians and sound engineers wearing them through out.
There is a closed back version coming the L3.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #1,139 of 1,964
After listening more and more to the X2 and hearing impressions on the X3, it seems like the X3 is basically a fixed X2. Less bass, which is good, better cleaner treble and faster drivers. Until this point I thought the driver is relatively fast in comparison to the K702 but I was wrong and it is actually the other way around. While K702 has fast drivers the speed is masked by the reverb it has, the X2 lacks the reverb and you can actually hear the driver wobble. Really weird. So it seems X3 fixes that too.
This just makes it even less understandable how reviwers like Joshua Valour bash it in comparison to the X2 though.

Yep. It's not the X2 and should not be judged as such. It's the culmination of the evolution of the X1 to X2 to X3, with a bit bigger jump from X2 to X3 than we saw after the X1.

I don't think Joshua and DMS bash the X3 for their improved technicalities in comparison with the X2s, but for their departure in tonal character. It is the position they take in. They are less fun than the X2s (the whole point of X2s existence) and they are less neutral and resolving than the HD6XXs, HD58Xs and Sundara's. So there is little to no reason getting a pair. I get their point, but what if someone wants a fun pair of headphones that is slightly more neutral-ish tuned?

I agree. The problem with the reviews so far is that they have been unhappy with the X3 not being the X2. And they have pointed out it's not a very good HD6XX. They are trying to make it fit as an alternative to those headphones. It's neither of those things and should be judged on its own merit. And I wouldn't even stereotype it as a "fun pair of headphones."

I think it's a warm headphone with a slight v-shape with a very good soundstage that has a unique tonal character in the <$250 range. In this way, it is unique from HD6XX, which I have never thought of as a particularly warm headphone.

To me, the HD6XX is a neutral-ish headphone with a recessed treble response. To get real warmth, I think you either need more dip in the upper mids or a little treble emphasis to create a contrast. On the other hand, the X3 is a true warm sounding headphone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back