Philips Fidelio X3
Sep 1, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #496 of 1,964
I know they need some time to "burn in", so I let them play a little while from my phone. But not nearly long enough before getting anxious to try them out.
So they have been in use for maybe 5-6 hours now, but I guess they need 50 to sound 100%? :)
Already noticably better as I've said.
Now I've also tried connected them to the Realtek audio card on my HTPC, and tuned them slightly with APO. (just 1db up bass wise, and tamed the highs a tiny bit).
Really appreciating them so far.

You had to EQ to tame the highs? I guess that's me out of a purchase. Nail in the coffin so to speak.

Sep 1, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #497 of 1,964
Burn-in is one of the more controversial topics, here and elsewhere. And bear in mind that I'm no expert--just someone who owns (or has owned) ~16 headphones and 9 amps, all of which I burned it at least 100 hrs, and >50% for ~150 hrs.

Things I've observed:
  • Some headphones and amps benefit more (and more noticeably) than others
  • But all tend to sound somewhat better after burn-in than straight out of the box
  • For some, the sound differences are quite striking. For example, my Audio GD NOS 19 was recommended to be burned in for 300 hours by users. They were absolutely correct: the sound of this NOS DAC changed wildly for weeks until it finally settled down & stopped changing.
So if it were me, I'd burn the headphone in at least 100 hrs. The bass is one area where change may well occur following burn-in. That makes sense, since deep bass is the most effortful & difficult task of a headphone; it requires maximum driver movement, and taxes the driver support/anchoring mechanisms the most. I've found that burn-in generally "perfects" whatever bass quantity/quality a given headphone is capable of.

For an open-back dynamic like this, with the impressive bass track-record of the X2 before it, burn-in may really help the bass.
Thanks for the input! Very appreciated. They are already transformed sound-wise after 6 hours, so I reckon you're more than spot on.
Still listening to them, haven't taken them off for more than 5-10 mins since I put them on. So again, they are comfortable. :)
Looking forward to enjoy them further.

Sep 1, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #498 of 1,964
You had to EQ to tame the highs? I guess that's me out of a purchase. Nail in the coffin so to speak.
Think you need to listen to them yourself.
The "taming" was 1db less on a few high frequencies.
And I think I need to review my "review" after more hours of burn-in. I regret I wrote it before I had used them for a longer time. :)
At first they were quite bright/sharp, but they are way smoother now. Not strange, if you read Pharmaboy's post.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #499 of 1,964
And I think I need to review my "review" after more hours of burn-in. I regret I wrote it before I had used for a longer time. :)
At first they were quite bright/sharp, but they are way smoother now. Not strange, if you read Pharmaboy's post.

1dB?! Well that changes things. You perceive the sound differently also after getting used to them. 6 hours doesn't seem like a long time for any worthwhile "burn-in".

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #500 of 1,964
And I think I need to review my "review" after more hours of burn-in. I regret I wrote it before I had used them for a longer time. :)

You should not have any regrets. "First impressions" are great to read for a headphone that none of us have heard. Thanks for doing that!

Sep 2, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #501 of 1,964
Burn-in is one of the more controversial topics, here and elsewhere. And bear in mind that I'm no expert--just someone who owns (or has owned) ~16 headphones and 9 amps, all of which I burned it at least 100 hrs, and >50% for ~150 hrs.

Things I've observed:
  • Some headphones and amps benefit more (and more noticeably) than others
  • But all tend to sound somewhat better after burn-in than straight out of the box
  • For some, the sound differences are quite striking. For example, my Audio GD NOS 19 was recommended to be burned in for 300 hours by users. They were absolutely correct: the sound of this NOS DAC changed wildly for weeks until it finally settled down & stopped changing.
So if it were me, I'd burn the headphone in at least 100 hrs. The bass is one area where change may well occur following burn-in. That makes sense, since deep bass is the most effortful & difficult task of a headphone; it requires maximum driver movement, and taxes the driver support/anchoring mechanisms the most. I've found that burn-in generally "perfects" whatever bass quantity/quality a given headphone is capable of.

For an open-back dynamic like this, with the impressive bass track-record of the X2 before it, burn-in may really help the bass.
I didn't believe in burn in, until I got my speakers, also around the same time I got the X2's incidentally. I think I may have not given the X2 enough time, before I put them aside only to rediscover them years later. ^^ Among other things... But why I believe in burn in... I had my speakers for couple of months. Listening to them when possible, they sounded a bit stiff, I wasn't unhappy with them, just could be better. One day I put on some music and went to have a nap...When I got back up... I was like "hmm... This songs sounds really good on the speakers... And the next one? And next one... Wait. It didn't sound like this before." After I was like, can't be that it just magically sounds so good. I tried every song I know and sure enough it had become more of what I expected of the speakers. Burn in of the speakers? Brain burn in? I don't know, but now I give time to these things for sure.

Sep 2, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #502 of 1,964
I will try the Cobalt tomorrow. Also gonna use the X3s mostly through my HTPC in the living room. I am a little excited to see how the Cobalt perform with my iPhone as well.
Will then be considering buying Tidal Hifi. Just now I subscribe to Apple Music, since all my other devices are Apple products. and then AM is best integrated. (especially with Apple Watch)

If you're located in the Oslo area I could probably loan you a couple of nice amp/dacs and the X2's if you're interested.

Sep 2, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #503 of 1,964
I didn't believe in burn in, until I got my speakers, also around the same time I got the X2's incidentally. I think I may have not given the X2 enough time, before I put them aside only to rediscover them years later. ^^ Among other things... But why I believe in burn in... I had my speakers for couple of months. Listening to them when possible, they sounded a bit stiff, I wasn't unhappy with them, just could be better. One day I put on some music and went to have a nap...When I got back up... I was like "hmm... This songs sounds really good on the speakers... And the next one? And next one... Wait. It didn't sound like this before." After I was like, can't be that it just magically sounds so good. I tried every song I know and sure enough it had become more of what I expected of the speakers. Burn in of the speakers? Brain burn in? I don't know, but now I give time to these things for sure.

I really don't want to turn the thread into a debate on burn-in but rtings did a test and showed no evidence to support it changes anything.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/learn/break-in

Back on topic though. Where are the reviews? I'm not usually so impatient but I'm in that place, the place of needing another set of headphones...

The wait continues

Sep 2, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #505 of 1,964
I really don't want to turn the thread into a debate on burn-in but rtings did a test and showed no evidence to support it changes anything.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/learn/break-in

Back on topic though. Where are the reviews? I'm not usually so impatient but I'm in that place, the place of needing another set of headphones...

The wait continues

Tyll at Innerfidelity also did measurements of a new vs. "burned in" headphone and found minimal changes that do not explain the extraordinary changes that people hear.

Besides, there is no standard for what is an acceptable amount of "burn-in." Seems best to privately accept someone's impressions of a headphone or not based on how much burn in there is. Take them at face value for what they are based on one's individual standards.

Sep 2, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #506 of 1,964
NOTE TO ALL: I told you burn-in was controversial...

Usually the yelling starts when someone cites tests that prove positive changes from burn-in don't exist.

Sep 2, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #509 of 1,964
I don't own any of the X2/HR so I'm gonna straight to X3. I can't wait to get one! But at €349 it's a bit high. We need reviews! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back