Philips Fidelio X3
Aug 16, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #361 of 1,964
I'm excited for the X3, can't wait for them to be officialy available in the Netherlands. On Ali it's €400 so it's gonna be much more expensive for us due to import fees and customs.

Aug 16, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #363 of 1,964
I tried the X2HR a few months ago, compared to the HD650 and Sundara it was just too peaky in the lower treble for me. Some weird peak going on in that 5 kHz region affecting the natural tone of instruments like cymbals and other metallic instruments. Downright harsh on many recordings. Also there was channel imbalance on my pair, which is apparently a common QC issue with them in this latest X2HR. I'm really hoping the X3 or even the SHP9600 is a good step up from the X2HR in terms of tonal balance and quality control consistency.

Aug 16, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #364 of 1,964
I was literally about to snag the X2 because they're like $140 on Amazon, but then I saw the X3 there.

I currently have a set of HD650s as my desktop set but I'm hella curious how the X3 compares. To my memory (I had them before), the X2 was more lively and fun than the HD650 despite being less technically proficient, but I'm not sure if it's worth the bump.

Aug 17, 2020 at 10:19 AM Post #366 of 1,964
I was literally about to snag the X2 because they're like $140 on Amazon, but then I saw the X3 there.

I currently have a set of HD650s as my desktop set but I'm hella curious how the X3 compares. To my memory (I had them before), the X2 was more lively and fun than the HD650 despite being less technically proficient, but I'm not sure if it's worth the bump.

Do you have the amazon link?

Aug 17, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #368 of 1,964
Search for Philips X2HR and you'll easily be able to find it. Price fluctuates for that headphone on Amazon almost daily. So it could be more or less than that now.

I think he was talking about the X3. I can find the x2hr. Its now £240. What a joke.

Aug 17, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #370 of 1,964
Is it normal that this is coming out in a few weeks and no one's really heard it yet?

Aug 17, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #372 of 1,964
Is it normal that this is coming out in a few weeks and no one's really heard it yet?

Depends on the company. A lot of audiophile companies will get their products in reviewers hands weeks (or even months) before they come out and then have a media embargo so all of the early reviews are released around the same time to create a wave of hype. They'll also often have them at shows for hands-on with the public. It seems Philips probably hasn't sent out early review units in this case and obviously audio shows aren't happening with COVID, so there's a lack of early impressions.

Aug 17, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #373 of 1,964
Any information on the EU release?

And tbh, I'm afraid the COVID will stay for much longer unfortunately.

Aug 17, 2020 at 9:19 PM Post #375 of 1,964
I love my Fidelios... M1, M1MKII (3 of them), L1, L2, and X2HR, and I got all of them new at a significant discount from MSRP. Having said that, I probably won't be buying another Philips, and certainly not at full price. The primary issue I have is that Philips doesn't sell replacement pads or cables. Since they've moved to more standard cables (L2, X2, and I think this new X3), those aren't as big of an issue, but the M1 models and L1 have a pigtail that is much harder to find acceptable cables, and impossible to find replacement OEM cables. It's just a real shame as I really do like my Philips and would love to continue to support them, but I can't as long as they don't sell replacements, at the very least replacement pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back