Philips Fidelio X3
Dec 8, 2019 at 1:24 AM Post #106 of 1,965
I really liked the X2.. They were really comfortable and build like tanks. Unfortunately, after 2 years of use my pair of original X2 "WooX" right driver blew.

They were great while they lasted and were amazing for movies and games (for immersion) due to the huge sound stage and big bass and played modern music effortlessly. Though not the most versatile as the bass was bit overdone for certain genres like rock.

A few caveats mind. Bass was a bit woolly and certainly not tight. Very recessed mids and treble was a bit uneven, also some peaks in the upper treble. Another is the imaging wasn't the best, if competitive gaming is your thing, I would look elsewhere.

If Philips can made a more balanced headphone with the X3 while keeping the fun nature I would jump on the hype train. They just need to look at more refined headphones like the Focal Elex/HD600 and go from there. Those headphones are what Philips should strive for.. reference but fun/amazing all rounders.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 1:59 AM Post #107 of 1,965
I really liked the X2.. They were really comfortable and build like tanks. Unfortunately, after 2 years of use my pair of original X2 "WooX" right driver blew.

They were great while they lasted and were amazing for movies and games (for immersion) due to the huge sound stage and big bass and played modern music effortlessly. Though not the most versatile as the bass was bit overdone for certain genres like rock.

A few caveats mind. Bass was a bit woolly and certainly not tight. Very recessed mids and treble was a bit uneven, also some peaks in the upper treble. Another is the imaging wasn't the best, if competitive gaming is your thing, I would look elsewhere.

If Philips can made a more balanced headphone with the X3 while keeping the fun nature I would jump on the hype train. They just need to look at more refined headphones like the Focal Elex/HD600 and go from there. Those headphones are what Philips should strive for.. reference but fun/amazing all rounders.
Less recessed mids for me. Didn't mind the bass, but it needs to be tightened up a bit - maybe a little more extension up top. Definitely not looking for reference. I don't see Phillips moving to a balanced, reference sound with this platform. Hopefully the drivers are faster with this model. I'm definitely looking forward to it, especially now that it can be used balanced.

Dec 13, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #108 of 1,965
Wonder if X3 pads will fit X2? Looks like the new ones are very similar to latest revision of X2HR, maybe just tad more rounded.

Anyone knows why X3 are being postponed? As far as I know they were scheduled for release in October this year, but they didn't and I couldn't resist black friday sale of X2HR so I got them instead. Now I'm interested how and if X3 will be different in sound department, aside from being balanced.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #109 of 1,965
They were scheduled for the beginning of 2020.

Dec 13, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #110 of 1,965
Kind of curious to see if they've even updated the driver at all. It's entirely possible the changes are all cosmetic. Looking forward to hearing it eventually

Dec 13, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #111 of 1,965
If they haven't update the driver and are expecting consumers to pay almost twice the cost of the X2 for mostly cosmetic or ergonomic updates, that would be a HUGE mistake. There has been so much innovation in the headphone space since the X2 launched, and to not reckon with that would mean that Philips/Gibson doesn't take this seriously.

Dec 14, 2019 at 7:01 AM Post #112 of 1,965
If they haven't update the driver and are expecting consumers to pay almost twice the cost of the X2 for mostly cosmetic or ergonomic updates, that would be a HUGE mistake. There has been so much innovation in the headphone space since the X2 launched, and to not reckon with that would mean that Philips/Gibson doesn't take this seriously.

Personally I don't think that the development in full sized headphones goes particularly fast, especially not in comparison to IEM's. Well regarded brands like AKG and Sennheiser are still selling the same models (with minimal changes) that they've milked for the last 10-20 years AND they're still holding up. I don't think that the X2's are less relevant today than when they were first launched. Just my 2c.

Dec 14, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #113 of 1,965
I highly doubt it will be the x2 driver; that would be incredibly stupid because who would pay 3.5x as much for a cosmetic change and a balance mod (on a HP that can already be driven from a flip-phone)? No, if they're gonna reuse a driver, it will be the onkyo a800 driver (or some slight variation that they're legally allowed to use), which would make the x3 a humongous upgrade to the x2. Part of me actually hopes they do that, but OTOH an all-new driver from this team would have serious potential.

Dec 14, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #114 of 1,965
I highly doubt it will be the x2 driver; that would be incredibly stupid because who would pay 3.5x as much for a cosmetic change and a balance mod (on a HP that can already be driven from a flip-phone)? No, if they're gonna reuse a driver, it will be the onkyo a800 driver (or some slight variation that they're legally allowed to use), which would make the x3 a humongous upgrade to the x2. Part of me actually hopes they do that, but OTOH an all-new driver from this team would have serious potential.

From what i've read about the sound from the JP reviewer who tested them I would not rule out it being the same driver (Ohms, Size match & sound was referenced as familiar). But at the same time I also wouldn't rule out "tweaks" to it as the highs are supposedly improved (that is obviously vs his memory). I'd have to try to refind the original post to go into more detail & .... that's not easy because I tried before posting this.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #115 of 1,965
Dang...well for all I know, a re-tuning of the x2's driver might be a night-and-day transformation, but I'm skeptical and this gives me pause. I was prepared to order the x3 the day it's released, but if it's the same driver then I'd need glowing impressions first.

Maybe I can find out by simply asking Philips via email. It can't hurt to try! I'll report back.

Dec 14, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #116 of 1,965
Current X2 price drop is temporary due to holiday sales. It won't last long, and most likely they're be gone soon from the market after going back to 200$+. Now is the last minute to buy them at a decent price. Personally I doubt X3 will have a huge upgrade in sound department. My guess slightly different tuning with same or very similar driver, balanced, cosmetic differences, maybe shorter cable will be included and that's it. For now I prefer X2's design, it's more classy and looks more expensive. I've got huge doubts about durability of cloth material in X3's cups. By definition metal grills are so much nicer and sturdier.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #117 of 1,965
Current X2 price drop is temporary due to holiday sales. It won't last long, and most likely they're be gone soon from the market after going back to 200$+. Now is the last minute to buy them at the decent price. Personally I doubt X3 will have a huge upgrade in sound department. My guess slightly different tuning with same or very similar driver, balanced, cosmetic differences, maybe shorter cable will be included and that's it. For now I prefer X2's design, it's more classy and looks more expensive. I've got huge doubts about durability of cloth material in X3's cups. By definition metal grills are so much nicer and sturdier.
The cloth will be stretched over a metal grill (or at least plastic grill). It’s unlikely to be stretched free over driver. I saw a video where the presenter picked the display unit up with the tips of his fingers gripping the cloth covered part. There didn’t seem to be any give.

Dec 14, 2019 at 11:34 AM Post #118 of 1,965
Current X2 price drop is temporary due to holiday sales. It won't last long, and most likely they're be gone soon from the market after going back to 200$+. Now is the last minute to buy them at a decent price. Personally I doubt X3 will have a huge upgrade in sound department. My guess slightly different tuning with same or very similar driver, balanced, cosmetic differences, maybe shorter cable will be included and that's it. For now I prefer X2's design, it's more classy and looks more expensive. I've got huge doubts about durability of cloth material in X3's cups. By definition metal grills are so much nicer and sturdier.

Temporary? They been on sale for at least the last 3 months. More than likely getting them away and making way for the X3.

Dec 14, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #119 of 1,965
The cloth will be stretched over a metal grill (or at least plastic grill). It’s unlikely to be stretched free over driver. I saw a video where the presenter picked the display unit up with the tips of his fingers gripping the cloth covered part. There didn’t seem to be any give.
I know but the cloth itself may be the problem it may not stand the test of time

Temporary? They been on sale for at least the last 3 months. More than likely getting them away and making way for the X3.
Before black friday they were occasionally discounted at 150$, but never 100$. The lowest price rgiht now is 120$ and it will most likely go up after holiday sales end. X3's will probably start at 349-399$, which is a no-go for most people when it comes to philips headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #120 of 1,965
Philips replied to my email. Apparently the email didn't go to the appropriate department, but to Warranty Services, so they don't know the answer. They did say:
All technical information regarding this device will be published in our web page soon.
But this specific question might not be answered in the product info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back