Philips Fidelio X3
Dec 15, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #136 of 1,964
Yeah he’s basing it on his memory only, which really I don’t blame him when he does, the tuning is the same, just more refined on the X2. he ended up still satisfied with his X1 for years and bought into the X2 at its best price so heh no harms for him, probably equally saves a couple people from buying into the X2 when it’s still expensive AND introduced tons of people to it in he first place

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #137 of 1,964
It's not only Zeos. I've come acroos quite a few amazon reviews of people saying there are some sound differences between X2 and X2HR. It doesn't really matter to me anyways since original X2 is long gone and I'm not planning to buy one.

And I also don't think X3's will be a significant upgrade over X2HR. We know how this works - next generation of headphone products are more of a slight evolution, rather than revolution.

Does anyone know what type of drivers are sitting in X2HR? Onkyo?

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #138 of 1,964
X1 and X2 are definitely tuned different. I preferred the X1 myself. I don't mind if they use the same drivers as the previous, as long as they are tuned noticeably different. I'm cool with a new set of drivers as well. I won't be interested if the mids and bass remain the same. The X1 was really nice with movies and such.

Dec 15, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #139 of 1,964
I know but the cloth itself may be the problem it may not stand the test of time

Before black friday they were occasionally discounted at 150$, but never 100$. The lowest price rgiht now is 120$ and it will most likely go up after holiday sales end. X3's will probably start at 349-399$, which is a no-go for most people when it comes to philips headphones.

Fair enough. Can't imagine that will be much of an issue unless one is rough with them or just leaves them lying/hanging around constantly exposed to moisture and whatever else is in that particular environment's air in-between usage rather than in a closed case. After the initial Gibbo debacle and given the price they are charging, I reckon they'll have chosen a durable enough fabric, but we'll see.
They already did an X2 refresh on the X2HR, that, im fine with as the name denote it as a small but noticeable improv, for the X3 tho, sure hope they change more than the small changes they did from X1-2-2HR to warrant the original's full price, competitioj is pretty stiff on that range compared to years ago.
The Woox vs Gibbo quality control debacle aside, the "HR" to the X2 was/is just marketing blurb. The originals were branded "high-definition", they just changed it to "high-res" for a buzz word to leverage the "high-res" audio trend.

A user somewhere on here or on Reddit (I forget which) said they contacted Philips customer services to enquire as to the difference between the X2 and the X2HRs (at the time, the HRs were relatively new and were going for twice the price of the 'vanilla' High-defs) and was told that the HRs had a slightly improved / more durable headband and sleeving for the frame, that was it. Other than that, the drivers are the same, the specs are the same.

Fwiw, I have both a Woox original and a HR Gibson from well after all the initial QC issues were ironed out. They sound the same.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #140 of 1,964
Just in time, because I seriously got bored of my X2's. Amazing headphones, will never sell them. But after 3 years of straight usage, it's time for an upgrade, or at the very least something different.

Did anyone pick up when exactly they are going to release them? January 2020, that much I know already, but like, which day?

A user somewhere on here or on Reddit (I forget which) said they contacted Philips customer services to enquire as to the difference between the X2 and the X2HRs
Might've been me. Kinda flattering to see someone remember that!

Jan 5, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #141 of 1,964
if youre bored of it, why not try finding different headphone with different tuning? HD600- 6XX is pretty painless sidegrade with very different emphasis

Jan 11, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #142 of 1,964
Still no update when these are coming out?

Jan 11, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #143 of 1,964
Still no update when these are coming out?
Nope, can't find anything either. I know headphones don't have a lot of hype marketing like a new iPhone, but it's almost unsettling to have nothing beyond a few pictures and a lone, French YouTube video introducing it from a con. In any case, we got a couple of days left for this month, which will probably mean the X3 are being soft-launched towards the end of the month.

Jan 21, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #144 of 1,964
I got impatient. It's almost the end of the month and still no news regarding the X3. So I wrote to Philips Customer Support, asking if they knew more about the release.
Das Verkaufsdatum vom Kopfhörer X3 ist noch nicht bekannt. Gerne kontaktieren wir Sie, wenn uns diese Information zur Verfügung steht.
The sale start of the X3 headphone is not yet known. We will notify you when this information is available if you'd like.
I know this doesn't do anything but raise more questions, but at least I can stop worrying about having to browse the front page of Google every day to finally get some more news. I'll let you guys know if CS ever reaches out to me again.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #145 of 1,964
X3's advertisment with more info about built quality and design. Open back and real leather just like X2's. Philips Fidelio X3 are set for realese this month for €349

some press photos

b9znqP9.jpg

RNOLD3W.jpg

PSyYd9k.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #148 of 1,964
X3's advertisment with more info about built quality and design. Open back and real leather just like X2's. Philips Fidelio X3 are set for realese this month for €349

some press photos

b9znqP9.jpg

RNOLD3W.jpg

PSyYd9k.jpg

Pretty crappy advertisement, if you asked me. All they talked about were materials. It has real leather, Danish cloth, and memory foam earpads. What about the sound? What about the driver? What is the newer technology that would make an audiophile want to upgrade to this from the X2?

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #149 of 1,964
Last edited:
Jan 22, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #150 of 1,964
https://www.whathifi.com/us/news/philips-fidelio-x3-headphones-aim-to-deliver-style-and-sound

One weird/stupid twist is that they use proprietary locking MMCX connectors for the headphone-to-cable connection.

Wonderful. :confused:

- Edit -

I just watched the video, and it shows what looks like 3.5mm connectors being used. The headphones shown in the video are CG, so who knows how acurate it is. We shall see.

What is going on, using locking MMCX for full-size cans?

"Hey, here's our flagship headphone that defines the brand. Let's use weak yet proprietary connectors to ensure no one can replace the cables except through us!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back