Philips Fidelio X3
Oct 4, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #961 of 1,964
Of all the you tube reviews shown in this thread, this is the first one where the reviewer prefers the sound of the x3's over the x2.

The others don't think the bass is as impactful on the x3, and don't think the treble is an improvement.
They all agree that they think they're priced too high, though.
Regarding the price, even the Meze 99 Classic is priced less than the X3.

Oct 4, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #962 of 1,964
Most of these reviews are making me glad I cancelled my order. The only really positive reviews are the non-audio focused tech shill sites. I ordered the Amiron Home instead for the same price (may get the Focal Elegia too). Maybe when these things get under $200 I'll give them a look.
That's the most demerit thing about the X3 actually, the Tierlist DMS and Josh had was one STRICTLY from its value in its price range, and its damn sure Philips is asking a bit much for the X3, as what else is there? Sundara, and many many good headphones from 200-350 usd.

there is Zeos then, the originator of the X2 hype, he kinda like it, but its still philips, the built ain't perfect and has its quirk. Z is more reliable for build impressions than sound.

He just hates the stock balanced wires (2.5mm on a 3m cable is kinda idiotic, recipe for broken cable in minutes), borked design on the 3.5mm plug which makes aftermarket cable harder to find, and just how much its more expensive it is than the X2HR.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #963 of 1,964
So completely different impressions. Great. I hate this hobby xD
No doubt. I would prefer to read through a dozen Amazon testimonials and take the average of what they say, before listening to Zeos.
Or you could listen to the headphones and decide for yourself.

I just don't get these people rushing out a 'review' just to get it out there and get the hits before the next guy, without properly adjusting to the headphones they are trying to 'review'. Listen to the 'phones for a few weeks or longer, listen to tons of music on them. Take breaks for a couple of days and go back. Get to really know it before deciding it's great or it's crap. Do you see high end audio mag reviewers writing their piece after one day?

Oct 4, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #964 of 1,964
350 USD is a lot of money, but I paid 330 euro for my HD650s and I prefer the X3s.
Value is relative.
I think the X3s are technically better than the Z7s and they had a retail price of 599 USD
What pair directly competes at X3s price point? The Sundara's. They are praised for their detail delivery and technicalities, but what about musicality and built quality?
What sets the X3 apart from the rest is their soundstage width and depth, without sounding thin or analytical. I know most audiophiles rate tonality over soundstage, but what if the X3 have a very good tonality as well? At least to my ears that is.

Oct 4, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #965 of 1,964
There is also another important factor that we may forget: the time that needs for our brain to get used to the new sound or breaking-in. It might be the same thing to the youtube reviewers but they needed to publish it asap to gain more clicks. So right out of the box, you may so hate it you wanna step on it and after week, you love it very much :p

If you've been using bassy headphones for months or years and then out of the blue air trying a new headphone which is not bassy, you may furiously hate it or force your brain to adjust and use it for a week or two.

Rushing out is never better.

Oct 4, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #967 of 1,964
There is also another important factor that we may forget: the time that needs for our brain to get used to the new sound or breaking-in. It might be the same thing to the youtube reviewers but they needed to publish it asap to gain more clicks. So right out of the box, you may so hate it you wanna step on it and after week, you love it very much :p

If you've been using bassy headphones for months or years and then out of the blue air trying a new headphone which is not bassy, you may furiously hate it or force your brain to adjust and use it for a week or two.

Rushing out is never better.
Well most people don't have the luxury to try a pair for a couple of weeks. If you don't like them you're not able to return them, than you have to try to sell them.
And in some cases a short impression may say enough. If your ears can't stand high treble energy, they fatigue and don't seem to adjust and this repeats the following 2-3 days I think it is safe to assume this pair isn't for you.
Professional reviewers however should try them for a longer period even if their ears are trained to dissect sound characteristics and quality in a quick period.

Oct 4, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #968 of 1,964
How dare those headphone reviewers dislike the headphone that i like, they just dont know how to review headphones.

Look, that guy posted a video saying he likes what i like, he must be very knowledgeable about headphones, you guys need to have a look.
I know what you mean, but I don't think this is the overall sentiment in this thread or the last couple of posts. At least not what I have posted or am aware of.

Oct 4, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #969 of 1,964
I don't use my X2's so when I unboxed the HD560s they were both new in my head.

I think what I look for in reviews is a constant. If one says they're narrow and another says wide. One says sibilant another says smooth treble with no peaks. I get confused

Oct 4, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #970 of 1,964
Well most people don't have the luxury to try a pair for a couple of weeks. If you don't like them you're not able to return them, than you have to try to sell them.
And in some cases a short impression may say enough. If your ears can't stand high treble energy, they fatigue and don't seem to adjust and this repeats the following 2-3 days I think it is safe to assume this pair isn't for you.
Professional reviewers however should try them for a longer period even if their ears are trained to dissect sound characteristics and quality in a quick period.
True that. Some stores doesn't allow returns and countries plays a role too. And there are very limited stores that actually sells high-end headphones to try them out there.

And agreed to if your ears can't stand high treble and not to forget: sssssibilance! The best to know more about the headphones is actually reading reviews from average joe's on this forum for example as they are usually unbiased and honest.

I think what I look for in reviews is a constant. If one says they're narrow and another says wide. One says sibilant another says smooth treble with no peaks. I get confused
Regarding the sibilance, ask users that are sibilance-sensitive. Have you tried the 560S and posted your experiences in its topic?
The source seem to be important too. I have a smartphone that's simply only for calls and sms and its built-in dac is pure crap. Too narrow and...it's very crap to say it directly.
My other phone which is the Mate 20X, it has superior sound and it's not narrow at all.

And oh yes, not to forget, your mental state and mood plays a role too. If you're too stressed, you might be extra sensitive to sssibilance.

Oct 4, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #971 of 1,964
I get that a lot whhen reading different reviews of headphones. I literally saw people call something "smaller soundstage than HD600" and another one saying "way better soundstage than the HD600" for the same headphones.

Oct 4, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #972 of 1,964

Well that makes two. Because of those reviews I started to doubt my own ears and they made my own impressions feel pretty ridiculous. My 1st impressions post was a comparison with the HD650s in where I stated that X3's treble was almost as smooth. And I still stand by this. I think my ears are more sensitve to the 1k- 6k range. It just happens that X3s peaks and dips are very agreeable to my ears.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #973 of 1,964
True that. Some stores doesn't allow returns and countries plays a role too. And there are very limited stores that actually sells high-end headphones to try them out there.

And agreed to if your ears can't stand high treble and not to forget: sssssibilance! The best to know more about the headphones is actually reading reviews from average joe's on this forum for example as they are usually unbiased and honest.

Regarding the sibilance, ask users that are sibilance-sensitive. Have you tried the 560S and posted your experiences in its topic?
The source seem to be important too. I have a smartphone that's simply only for calls and sms and its built-in dac is pure crap. Too narrow and...it's very crap to say it directly.
My other phone which is the Mate 20X, it has superior sound and it's not narrow at all.

And oh yes, not to forget, your mental state and mood plays a role too. If you're too stressed, you might be extra sensitive to sssibilance.

That's something else I forgot to mention. You need to look for reviewers that have a similar opinion on headphones you've heard too. It's not a perfect science but I think it helps.
Headphones that run on pure hype are a different beast.

I've posted a few early impressions of them.

Oct 4, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #974 of 1,964
Or you could listen to the headphones and decide for yourself.

I don't order headphones just to try them. I don't really feel that's what online headphone sales are for.

So I need to have some degree of certainty that I might want to keep them before ordering. Zeos doesn't add anything to that certainty. :darthsmile:

Oct 4, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #975 of 1,964
Also I just want to say that from the sound demo in itself I would consider the treble of the X3 to be very high in amplitude, but actually very clean. I can see it being sibilant in that regard but also easily EQ'able as it feels very natural. Though you can just say so much from a demo. Sounds good to me though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back