Philips Fidelio X3
Sep 17, 2019 at 5:52 AM Post #61 of 1,964
The X3

Sep 17, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #62 of 1,964
Yet another closed headphone from Philips pretending to be open... Stupid.

Well, I understand what he is saying, but more than likely the driver itself is probably doing more than the cloth. At least from my experience. Like Sennheiser HD660, I don't want to call it open back, It's more of a semi open design. Not that people actually know the difference...

Sep 17, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #63 of 1,964
Well, I understand what he is saying, but more than likely the driver itself is probably doing more than the cloth. At least from my experience. Like Sennheiser HD660, I don't want to call it open back, It's more of a semi open design. Not that people actually know the difference...

Agreed; semi-open.

There are not that many truly open-backed headphones when you take into account the totality of all ‘open’ headphones.

Sep 17, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #65 of 1,964
Can somebody explain why we're comparing the X2 to a closed can? I had the X1, and it seemed fairly wide with decent depth. I've also read many times on this forum, that there is nothing else that can compete with the X2 for Soundstage in this price range. Are we compa the X2 to top dollar open headphones or something?

Sep 18, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #67 of 1,964
n somebody explain why we're comparing the X2 to a closed can?
Everything I have read about the X3 states it is open (except on head-fi ). Unless, it was stated in the above you-tube video, I don't speak French ! Could you please link your source ?
. Are we compa the X2 to top dollar open headphones or something?
I thought most were trying to compare the X2 to the X3 (without all the facts). I don't think we know what the actual price is going to be for the X3 , unless it was in the above video or else where, if so let us know. Another fact is the X2 was at one time more costly than it is now. I paid close to $260 for the X2 when it came out about 5 years ago, it is now around $150 on amazon.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #68 of 1,964
Everything I have read about the X3 states it is open (except on head-fi ). Unless, it was stated in the above you-tube video, I don't speak French ! Could you please link your source ?

I thought most were trying to compare the X2 to the X3 (without all the facts). I don't think we know what the actual price is going to be for the X3 , unless it was in the above video or else where, if so let us know. Another fact is the X2 was at one time more costly than it is now. I paid close to $260 for the X2 when it came out about 5 years ago, it is now around $150 on amazon.
I don't think you're quite following. People have stated in this thread that the X2 was more like a closed can than open, and have assumed the X3 will be the same. If they consider the X2 closed, they must be comparing it to top tier open backs.

Sep 19, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #69 of 1,964
I don't think you're quite following. People have stated in this thread that the X2 was more like a closed can than open, and have assumed the X3 will be the same. If they consider the X2 closed, they must be comparing it to top tier open backs.

You don't need to compare it to top tier: the SHP9500 is open, the HD6xx series is open, a bunch of Audio Technicas and Grados are open, etc, etc... It's not about how it sounds; you literally just look at it and your brain should, in theory, connect the dots. Manufacturers don't define what is or isn't open; they define what they want you to believe in. There isn't a clear line defining the point at which a headphone is no longer a 'legit' open design and they take advantage of this grey area to liberally attach the "open" adjective to their nonsense marketing lines. I'm just pointing out this BS.

Sonically speaking, open vs closed has nothing to do with "soundstage." That's a tuning artifice, not a trait inherent to open or closed design. The difference is apparent in resolution. The X2 has nothing remotely resembling the timbral purity of a properly designed open system like the HD6xx or the ATH-R70X or my mutilated GMP. In the low-fi wasteland where it belongs, my X2 sounded OK with an obnoxious 5K Everest to piss me off as per usual low-fi tradition. It is roughly at the level of a DT880, another low-fi junk.

None of this matters if you enjoy it... if you like it, you like it...

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #70 of 1,964
Funnily enough, a lot of that had to do with the pad revision that happened somewhere between the WOOX - Gibson change. Loved the X2 with the former pads but wouldn't have kept it with the latter. Had both side by side to compare... Fingers crossed the X3 sounds more like the original!

Sep 19, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #73 of 1,964
You don't need to compare it to top tier: the SHP9500 is open, the HD6xx series is open, a bunch of Audio Technicas and Grados are open, etc, etc... It's not about how it sounds; you literally just look at it and your brain should, in theory, connect the dots. Manufacturers don't define what is or isn't open; they define what they want you to believe in. There isn't a clear line defining the point at which a headphone is no longer a 'legit' open design and they take advantage of this grey area to liberally attach the "open" adjective to their nonsense marketing lines. I'm just pointing out this BS.

Sonically speaking, open vs closed has nothing to do with "soundstage." That's a tuning artifice, not a trait inherent to open or closed design. The difference is apparent in resolution. The X2 has nothing remotely resembling the timbral purity of a properly designed open system like the HD6xx or the ATH-R70X or my mutilated GMP. In the low-fi wasteland where it belongs, my X2 sounded OK with an obnoxious 5K Everest to piss me off as per usual low-fi tradition. It is roughly at the level of a DT880, another low-fi junk.

None of this matters if you enjoy it... if you like it, you like it...
I was simply responding to other posts in this thread. Have you read through it? You are also literally the only person I've seen that states open or closed has no effect on the sound stage. I'm certainly not saying that this is the only contribution, but it most certainly plays a role.

Sep 19, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #75 of 1,964
I was simply responding to other posts in this thread. Have you read through it? You are also literally the only person I've seen that states open or closed has no effect on the sound stage. I'm certainly not saying that this is the only contribution, but it most certainly plays a role.

It absolutely plays a role. Anyone who says different is wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back