Philips Fidelio X3
Jan 24, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #197 of 1,964
I'm taking that neutral tuning with a grain of salt. Your neutral and my neutral could be completely different, as with anyone else.

Excellent point.

All I've concluded about neutral is that it's found on a stick shift.

Jan 24, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #198 of 1,964
The way that article described initial X3 sound impressions is basically the way X2 sounds like - wide, detailed with a little bass bump. Pretty much neutral, but not really. If that's the case then not much has changed in terms of tuning...

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #200 of 1,964
Usually, when people talk about neutral, I believe they mean natural. It's easy to get confused. X2 happen to be perceived as having a natural sound signature by lots of people.

Don't know, to me that is a real stark difference there, so If people use it like that, then it's ****ed up.
To me I feel like neutral is about Flat frequency response or if the headphones give the impression of such, sort of like very sterile or boring sounding. you know, the kinda thing you would want to use in studio. Flat frequency response does not a realistic sound make. By the time it gets to your ear drum it has been affected and therefore incorrect, more so with headphones than speakers.

If we are talking Natural or realistic sounding headphone, then that one, from what I have heard personally, would be 2C's. X2 are over exaggerated in that regard. So I would never use the word natural for X2's or neutral for that matter. I can see why, but I mentioned this recently, I would call X2's sound signature Hollywood, It's a bit off from natural, colored just enough to make it fun! It's like using saturated colors to have more vivid looking picture than it really is. Technically it looks good, it uses the same colors, just slight off to be more pleasing.

Jan 25, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #201 of 1,964
A literally flat FR on headphones would sound wildly off (probably downright awful) and nothing close to studio-like nor perceived neutrality.

It seems more often than not, "neutral" means something different to the person saying it than the people they're saying it to, so I just avoid the word altogether :D

From 60-1000 Hz, the X2HR is very closely aligned with the 2018 Harman curve. Then it's a little recessed (comparatively) until 3.5-4k, then peaks at 4.5-5k and is pretty standard after that with no treble peaks. Use whatever label for that you wish :stuck_out_tongue:

Jan 30, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #202 of 1,964
First pre production review I have read suggests the X3 has wide sound stage and warm midrange, slightly warmer than neutral. Bass was deep but controlled. These headphones have a wide frequency range and come with a balanced and unbalanced cable with better channel separation and less crosstalk form the balanced cable.

Will be interesting to see how these headphones are reviewed in the coming weeks as more folk get their hands on them and review the actual production items.

Feb 2, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #204 of 1,964
Looking forward to it. Comfort is also a huge priority for me. The design looks nice and simple and too. According to the news it should come out this summer?

Feb 11, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #206 of 1,964
What I'd like vs X2HR

1. Same wide soundstage
2. Midrange up two notches
3. Better defined treble
3. A little less bright
4. Improved comfort - less clamp force and better velour material

= perfect X3 :)

A solid wishlist. I would add better defined, more articulate bass to that list, as well.

Feb 11, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #208 of 1,964
Yup it's about time they do some improvements to make X3 a little more exciting than X2HR's

"sandpaper-treble " that's the best description of X2's treble I've read on this forum exactly like that not sibilant nor piercing just sandpaperish :) It's like there's too much air in the X2's treble region without them being defined and sparkly enough to be fully appriaciated

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back