Philips Fidelio X2 or HiFi Man HE-400s
Jul 23, 2015 at 11:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

JPlaquia

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

Thanks for stopping by, I just need some advice or insights.

Right now I am saving up as I am planning on buying a Full Size Can and currently I am eyeing on Philips X2 and HiFi Man HE-400s. Actually my first choice was really the X2, but when I heard about the He-400s being on the closest price as the X2, and being a Planar headphone I've grown interested on it.

And as of this writing, I am now leaning towards He-400s because of it's low price for a planar type headphone (that is currently available here in Philippines, probably the cheapest one here). But I am still confused, if I should go with the He-400s as I am really curious on the "Fun Sounding" description of other people on X2. So my real question is, what should I choose? HE-400s or X2? Would the extra dollar for the HE-400s worth it?

Currently my DAP + AMP combo are Fiio X1 and Cayin C5 together with RE-400 as my IEM.

Also do you think, If I go with the HE-400s should the C5 be able to power it up? The X2 should be alright with Cayin C5 as I have asked that last time.

Last thing, This is regarding on the X2, I have read somewhere here that amp-ing it will make no change on the sound quality? I have read it somewhere here, sorry I don't have the link. But is it true? Please do enlighten me.

Thanks for reading and hoping for your advice or insights.
Any help is much appreciated.

Jul 25, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 37
  Hi Guys,

Thanks for stopping by, I just need some advice or insights.

Right now I am saving up as I am planning on buying a Full Size Can and currently I am eyeing on Philips X2 and HiFi Man HE-400s. Actually my first choice was really the X2, but when I heard about the He-400s being on the closest price as the X2, and being a Planar headphone I've grown interested on it.

And as of this writing, I am now leaning towards He-400s because of it's low price for a planar type headphone (that is currently available here in Philippines, probably the cheapest one here). But I am still confused, if I should go with the He-400s as I am really curious on the "Fun Sounding" description of other people on X2. So my real question is, what should I choose? HE-400s or X2? Would the extra dollar for the HE-400s worth it?

Currently my DAP + AMP combo are Fiio X1 and Cayin C5 together with RE-400 as my IEM.

Also do you think, If I go with the HE-400s should the C5 be able to power it up? The X2 should be alright with Cayin C5 as I have asked that last time.

Last thing, This is regarding on the X2, I have read somewhere here that amp-ing it will make no change on the sound quality? I have read it somewhere here, sorry I don't have the link. But is it true? Please do enlighten me.

Thanks for reading and hoping for your advice or insights.
Any help is much appreciated.

Personal preferences play an important role at this point, so it's risky to push you in a particular direction.

Based on specs here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/729545/the-new-cayin-c5-portable-power-house

Caying C5 should drive both with ease.

It's always nice to have a clean source and good amplifier. Both are good headphones, can't go wrong I guess.

Best Luck!

Jul 25, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 37
The X1 is harder to drive than the X2, and I'll try the X1+C5 tomorrow. The C5 could tighten up the sound and give it more speed. Not much though.

The HE-400's are the only can where I've ever thought "you probably need an amp if you buy these". The gains were substantial, much more so than any other can I've tried (Q701's and LCD-2's felt almost nothing from extra power IME).

I reviewed the HE-400's and X1's side by side - here's the link to that. http://www.head-fi.org/t/726848/jodgey4s-9-headphone-shoot-out-80-1100

Tl;dr - the HE-400 is quicker, but goofier and a bit unnatural. Bass quality/quantity is wayyy overhyped, but has hella punch to it. The X1 is warm, but bloated and slow - which the X2 is supposed to be better on.

Jul 25, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #4 of 37
The X1 is harder to drive than the X2, and I'll try the X1+C5 tomorrow. The C5 could tighten up the sound and give it more speed. Not much though.

The HE-400's are the only can where I've ever thought "you probably need an amp if you buy these". The gains were substantial, much more so than any other can I've tried (Q701's and LCD-2's felt almost nothing from extra power IME).

I reviewed the HE-400's and X1's side by side - here's the link to that. http://www.head-fi.org/t/726848/jodgey4s-9-headphone-shoot-out-80-1100

Tl;dr - the HE-400 is quicker, but goofier and a bit unnatural. Bass quality/quantity is wayyy overhyped, but has hella punch to it. The X1 is warm, but bloated and slow - which the X2 is supposed to be better on.
Hi. I don't think OP was talking about the he400s but was talking about the new he400ss. That is the new hifiman headphone that is the he400s headphone (singular).

I was hoping you had reviewed this new headphone.

With impedance of about 22 IIRC I don't think an amp is needed as such. But I do like what the c5 delivers.

Jul 25, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #5 of 37
Hi Guys, Sorry for confusion but yes I am referring on the new HE-400s (the silver one).

Although, I have read your review Sir Jodgey4 and yes I agree that the Fidelio X1 is a bit hard to drive maybe because of it's cable having a high resistance (please correct me if I am wrong here) which have been improved on the Fidelio X2.

The old HE-400 (the Blue one) was not really my choice because of it's headband, I really don't like it, by looking at it I feel like it's not comfortable on wearing for long period unlike on the new HE-400s. Also in my opinion, I think there is something wrong on the naming scheme of Hifi-Man.

Anyway thanks for your replies guys, I really appreciate it.
Although I still want to know if what would you prefer the X2 or HE-400s.

Jul 25, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #6 of 37
Hi. I don't think OP was talking about the he400s but was talking about the new he400ss. That is the new hifiman headphone that is the he400s headphone (singular).

Well, that's confusing.

Although, I have read your review Sir Jodgey4 and yes I agree that the Fidelio X1 is a bit hard to drive maybe because of it's cable having a high resistance (please correct me if I am wrong here) which have been improved on the Fidelio X2.

Also in my opinion, I think there is something wrong on the naming scheme of Hifi-Man.

It's the sensitivity of the X1s more than any impedance issue. Lots of current is needed to drive them well.

And, ya, I agree. They made me look like a fool! Haha.

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #7 of 37
The old HE-400 (the Blue one) was not really my choice because of it's headband, I really don't like it, by looking at it I feel like it's not comfortable on wearing for long period unlike on the new HE-400s. Also in my opinion, I think there is something wrong on the naming scheme of Hifi-Man.

No doubt. Any headphone manufacturer who names a new model by simply adding an "s" to the end has no idea how people talk about their headphones using "s" in the plural (lol).

I understand about the HE-400. I recently got the AKG K7XX, and then sold my HE-400 because it's just not as comfortable because of the weight.

Cost no more than $10 to replace that cable, BTW.

Jul 26, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #8 of 37
No doubt. Any headphone manufacturer who names a new model by simply adding an "s" to the end has no idea how people talk about their headphones using "s" in the plural (lol).

I understand about the HE-400. I recently got the AKG K7XX, and then sold my HE-400 because it's just not as comfortable because of the weight.
Cost no more than $10 to replace that cable, BTW.

Yes the custom cable for the X1 is cheap I guess, but the X2 is priced at $299 the same price as the X1 when it was released with a lot of improvements that is why I think if one is going to choose between X1 and X2 they would go on the latter.

I really can't believe that they just add an 's' on the model name with so much changes just basing on the look of the new HE-400s HAHAHA.

Anyway, still hoping though for you insights on what would you prefer on the two cans.
Thanks.

Jul 26, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #9 of 37
Yes the custom cable for the X1 is cheap I guess, but the X2 is priced at $299 the same price as the X1 when it was released with a lot of improvements that is why I think if one is going to choose between X1 and X2 they would go on the latter.

I really can't believe that they just add an 's' on the model name with so much changes just basing on the look of the new HE-400s HAHAHA.

Anyway, still hoping though for you insights on what would you prefer on the two cans.
Thanks.

Depends on someone's budget. Since the X1 can often be had for around $200, that difference can be a lot to someone.

I have not heard the X2 or the 400s. But I liked my AKG K7XX as much as my HE-400, and got rid of the 400 :D

Jul 27, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #10 of 37
Depends on someone's budget. Since the X1 can often be had for around $200, that difference can be a lot to someone.

I have not heard the X2 or the 400s. But I liked my AKG K7XX as much as my HE-400, and got rid of the 400
biggrin.gif

It seems that I still have to wait for reviews to come out for the HE-400s (the Silver one) before I can decide. That will also extend my period on saving up some money so that I could buy the possible best option on the two which is good on my part HAHA.

But any insights or impressions on both X2 and HE-400s will be good :D.
Thanks again guys!

Aug 7, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #11 of 37
It seems that I still have to wait for reviews to come out for the HE-400s (the Silver one) before I can decide. That will also extend my period on saving up some money so that I could buy the possible best option on the two which is good on my part HAHA.

But any insights or impressions on both X2 and HE-400s will be good :D.
Thanks again guys!
Hi. I just listened to the he400s. Was using my fiio x5 and cayin c5 which I love.

No dramas at all driving the he400s. No problem at all.

The mids are great!! That was their real strength.
The bottom end is present. Not hugely extended but present. Overall well balanced headphones.

But I go back to the great mids. Rich but not overdone relative to anything else.

I also listened to the oppo pm3 which are best described as a real clean sound.
The hifiman he400i are a tad better in overall sound clarity/ definition and are a tad more expensive than the 400s.

I did not listen to the x2s though.

One point of concern or question I heard was that I was hearing a little more hiss sound on the 400s headphones. Not sure why. I was listening to AIFF files. That's the only thing that I not sure about. In fact at this price point everything was great for me.

But if you like rich well balanced mids these should seriously be looked at.

Hope that helps.

Aug 7, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #12 of 37
Lachlanlikesathing made an impressions comparison on reddit. The comparison includes the HE400s (new version), X2, K712, and R70X.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/3fxz9t/first_impressions_of_the_hifiman_he400s_these/

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #13 of 37
Hi. I just listened to the he400s. Was using my fiio x5 and cayin c5 which I love.

No dramas at all driving the he400s. No problem at all.

The mids are great!! That was their real strength.
The bottom end is present. Not hugely extended but present. Overall well balanced headphones.

But I go back to the great mids. Rich but not overdone relative to anything else.

I also listened to the oppo pm3 which are best described as a real clean sound.
The hifiman he400i are a tad better in overall sound clarity/ definition and are a tad more expensive than the 400s.

I did not listen to the x2s though.

One point of concern or question I heard was that I was hearing a little more hiss sound on the 400s headphones. Not sure why. I was listening to AIFF files. That's the only thing that I not sure about. In fact at this price point everything was great for me.

But if you like rich well balanced mids these should seriously be looked at.

Hope that helps.

I really like the thought that the mids  on the 400S is great. I really like hearing the vocals more than the instruments especially when the artist I am listening onto is a female hehe.

Although I was just thinking about the bass as some people says that the bass on the 400S is not like the bass that Planars should have.
What is your opinion on this one? I really don't need a "Thumping" bass since I am not a bass head person as long as the bass is there when it is needed that is fine with me.

Actually I really like to check the Oppo PM3, the problem is that they are not available locally here. And I really don't like buying online specially overseas since the import tax here where I live is really high.

I think I will be able to audition on 400S tomorrow morning as I have asked the local seller here on when it is going to be available for auditioning. Although still no luck for the X2 they said they are not sure if it will be available locally. I was hoping that I could compare them side by side for just a quick impressions.

Of course it helps a lot :D.

Lachlanlikesathing made an impressions comparison on reddit. The comparison includes the HE400s (new version), X2, K712, and R70X.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/3fxz9t/first_impressions_of_the_hifiman_he400s_these/

Thanks for the link. I have also watched his unboxing video of 400S in you-tube and he also mentioned the bass "roll-off" and said that he will not easily recommend the 400S because of it. Is the bass "roll-off" really that bad?

Thanks.

Aug 7, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #14 of 37
To compare them (if you only hear the he400s) the pm3 is very clean and clear and ben though some warmth it has a brighter presence on the upper mids and highs. Inner fidelity has a good write up on that one.

Pm3 is great value if that style might be of interest.

Aug 7, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #15 of 37
Mind you if you look at the pm3 the the 400i is probablyvatctge same price and not quite as bright as the pm 3 (the pm3 are not overly bright mind you).

So the 400i is a bit better than the 400s if you get drawn to that. Budget should dictate which way to go.

Pm3 however has the benefit of being a closed headphone and they have a good open sound considering they are closed.

Good luck with your choice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back