Philips Fidelio X1 v X2 v ???
Dec 6, 2014 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DeadMan

100+ Head-Fier
Currently I am using Sony MDR ZX700's for cans and Xiaomi Piston v2's for IEM's. However I dislike both for the following reasons.

The Sony's have no bass warmth and sound very nasal with very little sound stage. They feel cold to my ears. I don't want to be messing with the EQ to try and even them out. Looking at the FR it shows the mid to highs are very flat along the 0dB. Good for studio cans but not a very fun sound.

The Piston's suffer from bass bloat. The FR shows around a -20dB on the mids and highs. Granted for IEM's you don't want too much mid piercing your ears. But they still sound too fat at the bottom which makes them fatiguing.

I was looking into the X1's with their bass hump in the middle dB between that of the above of about -10dB on the mids and highs. Great! Then I saw they had the X2's. They are better designed (thinner cable, connector is small to large how it should be and ear pads can be changed). But they changed the sound signature so there is only a -5dB difference between the bottom and mid to highs. They are also somewhat more expensive.

So I am left with a dillema. Granted there are other brands around but I kinda had my heart set on the Fidelio's. Damn choices!

Thoughts?

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #3 of 8
I have now. I am worried about that lack of bass extension compared to the X1 though. I read open cans can suffer from lack of bottom. My ZX700's are flimsy in that regard even though they are closed cans. I don't need MASSIVE bass but I do listen to a lot of dance music so need to feel that comfortable 'thud' to let me know it's a club track and not some cookie cutter pop tune. As stated though I find the Pistons too bass heavy so want something that sits between the two extremes of what I already have.

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 8
  I have now. I am worried about that lack of bass extension compared to the X1 though. I read open cans can suffer from lack of bottom. My ZX700's are flimsy in that regard even though they are closed cans. I don't need MASSIVE bass but I do listen to a lot of dance music so need to feel that comfortable 'thud' to let me know it's a club track and not some cookie cutter pop tune. As stated though I find the Pistons too bass heavy so want something that sits between the two extremes of what I already have.

Never heard anyone complaining about the X2s bass.

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 8

Read some of the reviews on line about the X2s. They are not lacking in bass. I think they are just what you are looking for. I really like mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back