Philips Fidelio X1 | Review & Comparison
Nov 9, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #211 of 373
Just out of curiosity, not to depreciate your "news":
Why would anyone buy this exact cable from FiiO when it is just a generic shielded 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable?
It looks OK on first glance, but why would I not want to get a nicer looking, maybe sleeved one from a well established cable manufacturer? Tension resistance can't possibly be only a quality of FiiO cables...
Why would I want another cable at all if not for another length? Does the stock one have any downsides?

Does this one have any special measurements to fit certain headphones better? I could not think of any other difference that would make this generic cable dedicated to only 3 headphones...

Greetz, Unr3aL

Nov 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #212 of 373
Fair comment Unr3al - think I posted it more for the fact that a successful manufacturer like FiiO is actually marketing this cable for the X1 and a few others. Kind of illustrates the success of this headphone - and yes, having a removable lead does eliminate a lot of headphones that you can replace the cable with.

Zero idea how good it is. It'd suit the X1 (looks wise) big time. And yes the stock cable is substandard performance wise.. check out the comments in this thread (*Edit* sorry I should elaborate - the stock has a resistance of 1.8 Ohms.... so consensus is to get something below 1 Ohm and you're good). Go monoprice/mediabridge ??? if in US. If you want exotic maybe try these: http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=34 - great value for handmade - like not 100's of $'s

Makes you think that if the X1's cable was non-removable it wouldn't have got quite so good reviews in the first place.

Nov 9, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #213 of 373
Makes you think that if the X1's cable was non-removable it wouldn't have got quite so good reviews in the first place.

I doubt that would be an issue.  Many people review it with the stock cable anyways and still like it. 
eek.gif

IMO the difference between the stock cable and any other cable is very minor. 

Nov 9, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #214 of 373
Chico - hate to say it, but enough people have actually said that there is a difference. Not a huge one, but the question asked is invariably why supply a lead which is not optimal.

Maybe the new X1 will fix this.

Nov 10, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #217 of 373
The new X1??? Is there going to be an update? I've just ordered the X1 - Don't tell me there's going to be an updated version in the near future...

Greetz, Unr3aL

There is speculation that Philips is working on an X2 model to replace the X1. They've already done so with their recently available L2 model.

Nov 10, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #218 of 373
Yeah, I've read on from about page 196 on this thread and it seems there is quite some speculation but nothing confirmed as of yet.
I just hope they don't release it 2 weeks after I got my X1s. This seems to always be that case with expensive hardware I buy. Hopefully not this time...

no one asked himself if that cable with resistance of 1.8 ohm was put there for a specific reason ??!!

just a question that popped in my mind

What reason would that be exactly? To slightly alter the sound signature without fiddling with the cans and give people some kind of a choice?

Regarding this video here, there seem to be only downsides in it:

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5GxWTzK0CA[/VIDEO]

I don't take everything for granted that someone says on the interwebz, but his explanation for the cable "issue" seems to make sense...

Greetz, Unr3aL

Nov 11, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #219 of 373
The new X1??? Is there going to be an update? I've just ordered the X1 - Don't tell me there's going to be an updated version in the near future...

Greetz, Unr3aL

There is speculation that Philips is working on an X2 model to replace the X1. They've already done so with their recently available L2 model.

These new releases, whether truly "upgrades" or not, are just part of the territory.

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #220 of 373
Hi,

I'm just wondering if there is a need for an amp for the X1 ? I'm currently using it with my PC running a XONAR Essence STX at home and a Cowon X9 on the go.

If there is, what would be recommended ? Thanks a lot

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #221 of 373
Looking at the Xonar voltage specs, the X1 impedance and going from there you should be getting 100+ mW to the headphones, and it should be more than enough to be ear splitting loud when it is 100db/mW sensitivity.

Nov 15, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #222 of 373
Indeed it is... I guess he meant a portable amp. People always ask if they "need" an amp... If you've already got the X1 then just try it.
Since they're only 30 Ohm and really efficient I have not found they would lack anything when driving them with my Motorola Defy Smartphone..

Greetz, Unr3aL

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #223 of 373
Chico (or anybody else please) - if you were to pair the X1 with an DAC and amp, would you go for a more neutral and detailed setup or something warmer and more musical?

Many thanks for any replies.

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #224 of 373
  Chico (or anybody else please) - if you were to pair the X1 with an DAC and amp, would you go for a more neutral and detailed setup or something warmer and more musical?

Many thanks for any replies.

I would go with the more neutral/detailed setup.

IMO the X1s are already warm enough as it is, so I don't think they really need gear to make them warmer (not like some colder headphones do).  Their upper treble is already slightly off rolled as is, and they have some warmth to their bass, so I don't think they need to be intentionally pushed any more towards the warm side.

I think a more neutral detailed setup would pair better, as it would help keep the bass a little tighter, help keep some of the treble air up top, and maybe help the soundstage stay a tad cleaner and more open. 

I would try it with whatever gear you've already first though.

Dec 10, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #225 of 373
Thanks chicolom - very helpful comments. I think the general consensus is that the X1 is warm because of it's bass, but in every other regard pretty neutral and smooth sounding. I'll try it out with my existing gear 1st as you suggest, however I'm getting a desktop amp and DAC for not only the X1's but future HP's as well (I know a desktop solution is overkill for the Philips, but I want to buy now). You're right - I'll stick to a neutral and detailed setup. Thanks again.

http://camelcamelcamel.com/ (damn - keep thinking toe) just posted an alert: Price has just dropped from 220 GBP down to 160.00 GBP new (equivalent of 260 USD) on Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back