Philips Fidelio L4 and T2 - Coming Soon
Sep 15, 2023 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

JML

Headphoneus Supremus
Coming very soon (first announced in February). Next-gen versions of the Philips bluetooth headphones and earbuds (both using the LDAC codec), priced to compete with the current class leaders that are available for under $400.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/phili...r-black-friday-but-can-they-beat-the-sony-xm5

"The Philips Fidelio L4 wireless headphones are set to go on sale in "early October" and will retail for £350 / $350."
"For wireless earbuds fans, the Fidelio T2 will also launch in late October with a suggested retail price of £280. We’re waiting on pricing in the US and other territories."

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 33
Last edited:
Sep 22, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #3 of 33
Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 33
I been wanting to buy an L3 for a while. Sad about the pads being pleather now though :frowning2:

Sep 30, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 33
Oct 3, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #6 of 33
Oct 14, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #7 of 33
Oct 17, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #8 of 33
I been wanting to buy an L3 for a while. Sad about the pads being pleather now though :frowning2:

Pleather is not the best I agree, but I noticed some reviews mention its got Muirhead leather (Finally, the headband and earcups sport Muirhead leather mentioned by gadgetmatch link above)

I googeled Muirhead leather and its like some scottish leather from a company that's been at it for 180 years. Suggesting it can last 15+ years.

Not sure if its 100% accurate, hopefully 3rd party pads from brainwavz and dekoni and chinas aliexpress do some better ones, not sure how 3rd party philips pads are though since never owned a philips headphone before.

Oct 17, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #9 of 33
Another review: https://www.gadgetmatch.com/philips-fidelio-l4-review/

And Philips USA now shows the L4 and T2 on their own site: https://www.usa.philips.com/c-m-so/...#availability=all&filters=NOISE_CANCELLING_SU

Several of the reviews of the L4 note them as bass-heavy and with lowered treble levels, with the ANC working.

That gadgetmatch review was decent but its a bit unclear with his actual google pixel 6 BT codec settings, not sure if he was in the best codec mode such as LC3.

A quick google shows the pixel 6 was iffy with the whole LE support mentioned here, maybe the reviewer was in sbc the most basic lowest quality mode who knows really.

Anyhow shame there is not much love for the new Fidelio L4, so good job on making a thread so others are aware. These headphones look like they could easily give the Bathys, B&W PX8s and B&O a run for their money, not even going to mention Sony, Bose.

I am trying to find out if the L4 supports LC3+ though, plenty of reviews say LC3 and the manual does mention gamers and movie fans won't find any lag so to me at least that suggest it should support LC3+ but don't hold me to that!

Their tech support just copy and pasted sorry we do not have those details when I tried to ask.

I do wish they left aptx adaptive in there but understand due to cost, manufacturers are very slow to adopt LE audio we don't even have proper LC3 bluetooth dongles let alone receivers/transmitters (I have the Creative L3 LE Audio dongle but its not for sale only supplied with Zen hybrid headphones) and theres one from china called LE transmitters/receiver from eppfun which not many have tested or tried.

My Samsung S23 is due the LE audio upgrade I think this December or January though, think Pixel 7/8 may have it already don't know if Sony or other companies got the LE audio upgrade yet.

Nov 2, 2023 at 3:29 PM Post #12 of 33

hopefully a typo or mistake, pleather on high end premium headphones is an odd move by Philips especially since a reviewer mentioned it has Muirhead leather.

Anyhow with bluetooth 5.4 and snapdragon S7 wifi sound coming out next year I think ill be waiting and saving up for something with that supported in place, ill be making do with my Creative Zen hybrids with LC3/LC3+for now.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #13 of 33
hopefully a typo or mistake, pleather on high end premium headphones is an odd move by Philips.

Anyhow with bluetooth 5.4 and snapdragon S7 wifi sound coming out next year I think ill be waiting and saving up for something with that supported in place, ill be making do with my Creative Zen hybrids with LC3/LC3+for now.
Well, the competition is all using pleather, so they don't really have any incentive to offer anything more I am guessing. One one hand you have animal "cruelty" and on the other sustainability, you use leather, they last for years but hurt animals, use pleather and your headphones go to crap after a couple and you either buy a new pair or find a pad replacement, either way consuming more resources.

Nov 3, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #14 of 33
Well, the competition is all using pleather, so they don't really have any incentive to offer anything more I am guessing. One one hand you have animal "cruelty" and on the other sustainability, you use leather, they last for years but hurt animals, use pleather and your headphones go to crap after a couple and you either buy a new pair or find a pad replacement, either way consuming more resources.

Yes all true, I must have got side tracked and forgot to finish my sentence I meant to say its odd philips say Synthetic leather when a reviewer said it has Muirhead leather.

They must have changed it towards the end to pleather pads, I really have been spoilt with nappa leather pads on the B&W PX8s too which are by far the most comfy pads my ears ever had.

Nov 3, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #15 of 33
The headband has the leather. But I agree, it's too bad the pads are pleather instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back