Philips Fidelio L2
Mar 2, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #1,111 of 1,146
I'm crazy, but at $65, I got a pair just to get a pair of stock ear pad replacements for the pads on my L1 that are falling apart.
I've got an L2 that I bought a while ago, and it's pads are the same as what's on the L1.

However, this new pair of L2 are different. The box is different than the previous L2 boxes, they now have the Hi-Res Audio logo on them, and the specs as listed on the box are different. And the pads are different. They do seem like the seams are stronger, but only time will tell there. The pads are not as deep as the original L1 or L2 pads, and the foam doesn't seem to be as soft memory foam as before, but that could just be because they're shallower.

Having seen these differences, I'm not sure I'll use them as pad replacements as planned. I'll be doing a comparison with my original L2 in the near future.

Mar 2, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #1,112 of 1,146
Hello. Thanks for this info. Where did you see online that they are making these again? Philips website or an announcement on Reddit or some hi-fi website?

Please read what I posted..."looks like..." I have no inside information.

Amazon is selling it as new: (you hadn't been able to buy it at a good price new for a while)
https://www.amazon.com/L2BO-27-Fide...583205084&sprefix=philips+fide,aps,160&sr=8-2

Here's another link at amazon for the same headphone new but at a much higher price:
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Fide...583205234&sprefix=philips+fide,aps,160&sr=8-5

Mar 3, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #1,113 of 1,146
Mar 3, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #1,114 of 1,146
Thanks for the info. I know they were still selling overseas. It's possible they put the "high def" label on there as a push to sell it in the US or clear old stock. Otherwise the design is idenical.

Mar 3, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #1,115 of 1,146
I did find some time to compare my new L2 with my original L2. First, what the boxes state:
Original L2New "HR" L2
Frequency Range12-26,000 Hz6-40,000 Hz
Sensitivity105 dB93 dB
Maximum Power Input200 mW40 mW
Distortion< 0.1% THD< 3% THD
Impedance16 Ohm16 Ohm

In addition to the shallower ear pads on the new L2, I also noticed that the metal and plastic on the old was a gunmetal gray, but on the new, had a more bronze color. I'll try to get some pictures of both the box and headphones.

As to how they sound, basically identical. It's possible the new set has slightly less bass and a bit more sparkle up top, but I can't be sure since I don't have any way to control volume down to the fraction of a dB needed for an accurate comparison. I guess if they're marketing this as an HR model, that it'd make sense to give it just a hint more sparkle to make you think there was something HR about it. It's also possible the (if it actually exists) slight difference is due to the depth of the ear pads. In the end, since the pads aren't the size I thought they were, I'm not going to be sacrificing this new pair of L2. I'll probably see if my Dad would like them. For $65-70, you really can't go wrong with these, they sound fantastic and are super comfortable. I was thinking the shallower pads would mean they'd not be as comfortable, but for me, they were still very comfortable.

Mar 4, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #1,116 of 1,146
My main issues with the L2 (and L1) is their headband doesn't extend the cups as far as I need to fully reach to cover my ears comfortably. While the pad depth was okay and they are soft, the overall opening on the pads is a bit too small. My ears are relatively normal to flat against my head, but I'm 6'5", so they're proportionally tall top to bottom. They didn't quite fit overall. Also, while the L1 was a bit too dull in the highs (great mids and bass, like these have too) the L2 was a bit too bright. A revised L3 with taller oval pads & further pad extension, with less treble than the L2 and more than the L1 could be amazing but I don't expect that. The sound stage and quality otherwise were great.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #1,117 of 1,146
@dudestranded i paid my L2 180€ 5 years ago :frowning2:

Yeah same, and I though they were worth it at that price then. The quality/price ratio has gotten so much better in the last few years though that now I think they are probably close to newly released €100 headphones. So still a good deal I think! There aren't that many headphones with this build quality and this sound signature out there. My H9i wireless set (at triple the current L2 price) for example has better bass quality and is slightly better on the details, but the tuning is just too much 'fun' for me and the mids miss character.

I did find some time to compare my new L2 with my original L2. First, what the boxes state:
Original L2New "HR" L2
Frequency Range12-26,000 Hz6-40,000 Hz
Sensitivity105 dB93 dB
Maximum Power Input200 mW40 mW
Distortion< 0.1% THD< 3% THD
Impedance16 Ohm16 Ohm

In addition to the shallower ear pads on the new L2, I also noticed that the metal and plastic on the old was a gunmetal gray, but on the new, had a more bronze color. I'll try to get some pictures of both the box and headphones.

As to how they sound, basically identical. It's possible the new set has slightly less bass and a bit more sparkle up top, but I can't be sure since I don't have any way to control volume down to the fraction of a dB needed for an accurate comparison. I guess if they're marketing this as an HR model, that it'd make sense to give it just a hint more sparkle to make you think there was something HR about it. It's also possible the (if it actually exists) slight difference is due to the depth of the ear pads. In the end, since the pads aren't the size I thought they were, I'm not going to be sacrificing this new pair of L2. I'll probably see if my Dad would like them. For $65-70, you really can't go wrong with these, they sound fantastic and are super comfortable. I was thinking the shallower pads would mean they'd not be as comfortable, but for me, they were still very comfortable.

Interesting... the frequency range and THD are just a Hi Res requirements so they might have just measured it differently to be compliant (I think), but it's strange theat the sensitivity changed so much. Could be due to different kind of measurement also, but might be a different driver...

Mar 16, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #1,118 of 1,146
Interesting... the frequency range and THD are just a Hi Res requirements so they might have just measured it differently to be compliant (I think), but it's strange theat the sensitivity changed so much. Could be due to different kind of measurement also, but might be a different driver...

Without changing the volume, the two sounded almost identical in volume, suggesting no difference in sensitivity. Any differences that I thought I may have noticed were likely due to minor differences in driver variation. I'm almost sure they just changed how they measured so they could stick the HR logo on the box.

Mar 24, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #1,119 of 1,146
Looks like I should have finished this thread before jumping on these when they hit $54 on amazon this morning. I remember really wanting to get them along with, back when I bought SHP9500s and X2HR, but the L2's were much more expensive then. Seems like they might not be the same thing these days, maybe why so much cheaper now.

Mar 24, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #1,120 of 1,146
Looks like I should have finished this thread before jumping on these when they hit $54 on amazon this morning. I remember really wanting to get them along with, back when I bought SHP9500s and X2HR, but the L2's were much more expensive then. Seems like they might not be the same thing these days, maybe why so much cheaper now.
The differences I noted are so minor, that if you didn't have them side-by-side, you'd never know. While the pads are a few mil shallower, they seem a bit more sturdy. One of the big complaints with the old L1 and L2 is that the pad seams would just split open, even for people who rarely used them or babied them (like my L1's). So, if they're actually sturdier, it's a good improvement. You cannot go wrong at $54.

Mar 26, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #1,121 of 1,146
The differences I noted are so minor, that if you didn't have them side-by-side, you'd never know. While the pads are a few mil shallower, they seem a bit more sturdy. One of the big complaints with the old L1 and L2 is that the pad seams would just split open, even for people who rarely used them or babied them (like my L1's). So, if they're actually sturdier, it's a good improvement. You cannot go wrong at $54.

The originals having a fraction of the distortion of what they do now, was my main concern. They do sound good enough to my ears, though quickly finding a little fatiguing, where I never did with first two philips (x2 & 9500). Whether so much I can't live with IDK yet, but I'm inclined to at least exchange them anyway, because you know how the adjustment arms "click" with each notch as you move them up and down? Only the right side does this, the left just moves up and down without the clicks.

Comfort and build quality are pretty good, and lighter than you'd think.

Edit- what's the cheapest cable with a mic as good as the one that these come with? I want to keep that most of all.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #1,124 of 1,146
Sorry to hear the pads didn't work out for you...I was in contact with a guy from Brainwavz about getting some to try out...he said he would send me some to try but I never heard back from him...
The HM5 pads are deeper...I have the hybrids on mine and I like them a lot, they are a little bit big on the L2s....I was hoping these would be a good alternative.
Sorry if I steered you in the wrong direction :frowning2:
which brainwavz pads does fit the best on the l2?

Apr 27, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #1,125 of 1,146
which brainwavz pads does fit the best on the l2?
I have no idea. I talked to a rep from that company, he was going to send me some samples so I could feel comfortable making these kind of recommendations...he got all my info then ghosted me....so, I don't know what to recommend...I still have the hybrids on my L2, they fit fine. Honestly anything in that basic "HM5 pad" shape and size will fit these headphones, so the better question is which pads suit your taste in terms of sound characteristics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back