Philips Fidelio L2
Aug 28, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #587 of 1,146
  hi thanks for the reply. i have tried with Novo but decided to look somewhere else since i find it too bright for my taste. the price of amp here is quite expensive, Used Graham slee SRGii is priced at around $390 USD and while Schiit Valhalla is around 370USD and Schit Asgard is around 330 USD. and my budget is around 350 to 450 USD. and it expensive to buy from overseas since i have to pay around 20 to 30 % of the ampli price + shipping cost for import duty + tax.

after i listen music from my pc by directly connecting L2 to my soundcard i find it that my soundcard signature is to bright for my taste. now im thinking of following scenario for my computer audio 
1. Current Soundcard (Creative Titanium Fatality Pro) -> Schiit Asgard /Lyr or Used Graham Slee SRGII(Standart PSU) -> L2
2. Asus Essense STX -> Schiit Asgard /Lyr or Used Graham Slee SRGII(Standart PSU) -> L2
3. Modded ASUS Essense STX -> L2
4. External DAC like Sony PHA-1 or Asus Essense One or Fostex HP-P1 or AK10 -> L2

my usual music genre is Jpop, Acoustic, Soundtrack,Pop and little rock and rnb

which one is the better option for me

thanks
Surya Halim

I decided to Purchased Asus Essense STX and change the opamp to 3x Dual LME49990 

Aug 29, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #590 of 1,146
How do they scale with your Chord Hugo? How's the pairing?

It pairs very well. Musical, resolving and fun sound. L2 is more resolving than my soon-to-be-sold HD650s, I hear things I didn't with HD650.

They scale greatly. They sounded great straight from my Sony Xperia Z1 Compact and iPad Air but from Hugo, the increase in sound quality is unbeliveable. Lesser headphones (such as my Onkyo ES-HF300 which I'm going to sell) don't sound that different with Hugo compared to listening from mobile phone, but the difference is astounding with Fidelio L2. It's like they become completely different headphones. Tighter and stronger bass, much more treble extension without any hint of harshness, lovely mids. That shows two things:

1) How amazing Hugo is compared to regular dacs.
2) That Fidelio L2 is indeed among the finest dynamic headphones in recent years. Clearly much better than HD 6XX line. This makes me even more impatient for Fidelio X2.

Aug 29, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #591 of 1,146
Well course the Hugo should be levels above other DACs. It does cost an arm and a leg after all.

And when will the L2 come to the US? There's someone here who's been itching to buy it!

Aug 30, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #592 of 1,146

1) How amazing Hugo is compared to regular dacs.
2) That Fidelio L2 is indeed among the finest dynamic headphones in recent years. Clearly much better than HD 6XX line. This makes me even more impatient for Fidelio X2.

The Hugo seems like a game changer except for the price. It's good news that the L2 matches well. The HD600/650 are also said to scale up well but need high quality amps to achieve this. How does the L2 and HD650 compare in terms of timbre accuracy, which one is more realistic?  

Aug 30, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #593 of 1,146
  The Hugo seems like a game changer except for the price. It's good news that the L2 matches well. The HD600/650 are also said to scale up well but need high quality amps to achieve this. How does the L2 and HD650 compare in terms of timbre accuracy, which one is more realistic?  

Check out the iFi Audio micro iDSD. There is the info thread and the impression thread here on Head-Fi.

Aug 30, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #594 of 1,146

Comparing them with live music, I would say HD650 is better in terms of timbre accuracy. Not a huge difference, but it is more lifelike. That said, HD650 is better in this area than much pricier headphones. In terms of clarity, bass and treble extension, detail retrieval and fun factor, L2 is better. Compared to laid-back HD650, L2 is more aggressive and exciting but not overly so.

Aug 31, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #596 of 1,146

Comparing them with live music, I would say HD650 is better in terms of timbre accuracy. Not a huge difference, but it is more lifelike. That said, HD650 is better in this area than much pricier headphones. In terms of clarity, bass and treble extension, detail retrieval and fun factor, L2 is better. Compared to laid-back HD650, L2 is more aggressive and exciting but not overly so.

Yes, I think there is something in the HD600/650 that even Sennheiser have not been able to reproduce. Better different headphones, perhaps, but not better in one particular department.

Actually reading your description, I wonder whether the L2 sounds like the HD700.

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #597 of 1,146
  Thanks, will do. They also say the geekout 1000 is quite good too.

Checkout Michael Lavorgna's review of the Geek Out 1000 and the iFi Audio nano iDSD. He favoured the $179 nano iDSD. The micro iDSD quite the upgrade.

Yes, I think there is something in the HD600/650 that even Sennheiser have not been able to reproduce. Better different headphones, perhaps, but not better in one particular department.

Actually reading your description, I wonder whether the L2 sounds like the HD700.

I've felt the same upon reading the descriptions of the HD700. I've heard them side by side. Soundstage wise and resolution wise, the HD700 was wider and deeper with the image being more projected. Detail was more obvious. I would have gotten it except the aspect where the L2 beat the HD700 was the HD700's treble peak. With my music it just hurt my ears. This is with a DACport LX and a CL Duet so don't take my word for it as I'm sure there's some desktop tube amp that smoothens out that peak. Tonality and timbre wise the HD700 felt slightly darker but also more resolute. The L2 was brighter especially in the treble and upper mids area but it really was that peak that turned me off. I'm going to try the HD700 with my micro iDSD soon. Maybe the peak will be less? They're similar in pace but there were some tracks where the HD700 had better bass impact which kind of surprised me. 

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #598 of 1,146

I don't know as I haven't tried HD700. HD700 is supposed to technically better considering its price tag but both headphones' drivers are 40mm so I guess a comparison is fair. If HD700 has a treble peak as many people say, I'd prefer L2. I can't stand harsh treble at all. I hate it.

I have a feeling that upcoming X2 will be making a lot of flagships uncomfortable with its  technicality, sound and affordable price. If L2 is that good with 40mm driver, I wonder how X2 will sound with its 50mm driver. I think a lot of manufacturers over-charge for their headphones so I can only respect Philips for selling great headphones at affordable prices.

Aug 31, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #599 of 1,146

With my music it just hurt my ears. This is with a DACport LX and a CL Duet so don't take my word for it as I'm sure there's some desktop tube amp that smoothens out that peak. Tonality and timbre wise the HD700 felt slightly darker but also more resolute. The L2 was brighter especially in the treble and upper mids area but it really was that peak that turned me off. I'm going to try the HD700 with my micro iDSD soon. Maybe the peak will be less? They're similar in pace but there were some tracks where the HD700 had better bass impact which kind of surprised me. 

What music do you find the peak a problem? How about classical?

The T90 might be worth a try. At Headfonia they said it had emphasised treble but not peaky like the HD700. 

Sep 1, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #600 of 1,146
  What music do you find the peak a problem? How about classical?

The T90 might be worth a try. At Headfonia they said it had emphasised treble but not peaky like the HD700. 

T90 sounds shrill and thin. I really dislike Beyer's Tesla line. T51p is good but it sounds different to full size Tesla headphones, more urban.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back