Philips Fidelio L2
May 14, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #467 of 1,146
hey guys, i've been following this thread since minths because i wanted to buy the fidelio l2 . well now i have these cans since 2 months maybe, and i would like to know how to change the earpads? i mean , i love them so much i would like to keep them as long as possible

anyway, my opinion about them is that they are really really good. i can definitely understand why audio-pro people wouldn't think that it's good enough for them though. i'm not an audiphile, i just like good sound and though before, i thought that the more analytic a sound system was the better they were, now i don't believe that anymore (for me). i prefere when it's near to analytic, but still fun/ coloured

as it may have been stated, the vocals are kinda nasally, and sometimes, it's just a little too bright. i think it definitely improved with time though, still there, but with a good source it's less bright than it used to be. i just went in an office and tried the focal spirit one, a few sony headphones , sennheiser momentum and some focals, and let me say, by far that these are the best headphone that i could here there, like really.

i have to try the silver cable yet, but i want to ask you guys for how to remove the earpads, and how do you do to use another cable? because the stock one is flat on a side, and using a round cable kinda scratch the side of the cuff, i don't want them to have cosmetic issues haha ^^

One of the flaws of the design is that the ear pads are unremovable. Being of a sort of memory foam I do believe that they degrade slower than the usual ear pads.

May 14, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #468 of 1,146
oh i know that they are not "officialy" removable. but i've seen pics of it without earpads with no scratch or anything, like really good removal and the guyput some earpad back afterwards (on the first model, the l1), so there is definitely something we can do , even if it looks more complicated . i was asking more about how can we remove the earpads properly, without blowing out the l2 completely

May 15, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #469 of 1,146
oh i know that they are not "officialy" removable. but i've seen pics of it without earpads with no scratch or anything, like really good removal and the guyput some earpad back afterwards (on the first model, the l1), so there is definitely something we can do , even if it looks more complicated . i was asking more about how can we remove the earpads properly, without blowing out the l2 completely

I've seen pictures of the L1 that Tyll took apart so assuming that the L2 is dismantled in the same way, I imagine it is possible to take the pads off. You will probably have to start by carefully peeling back from the housing without stretching the mounting fabric. The bad thing is that Philips will not offer any replacement pads so even if you do get them off, you will have to find a suitable replacement which doesn't negatively effect the overall sound.

May 15, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #470 of 1,146
yeah... do you know how you can contact this tyll? i would like to know what would he chose as pads replacement, plus if he has pictures of the overall process. i'm very pleased with these headphones, it's the only earphones/headphone that i find acceptable in replacement of my Q-Jays (which unfortunately, are dead)

May 15, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #472 of 1,146
yeah... do you know how you can contact this tyll? i would like to know what would he chose as pads replacement, plus if he has pictures of the overall process. i'm very pleased with these headphones, it's the only earphones/headphone that i find acceptable in replacement of my Q-Jays (which unfortunately, are dead)

If you can obtain the information please show it here! I have Q Jays too (alive :) ) and i'm waiting for L2 this we.

May 15, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #473 of 1,146
yes the silver cable

Made for me by a chap i know, custom made, cost me about £35 all done...  made a big difference to the grainy vocals on the L2.....and opened out the sound stage a tad, and just cleaned up the bass a little too , especially on complicated bass tracks.... The L2 is an impressive heaphones, I would say i prefer it to the K550 on everything but Loud Rock.... where i prefer the K550's slightly laid back treble.....

The LCD2 is a better headphone all round in terms of sound quality.... but boy does it carry some weight on the head...

wanting a pair of electrostatics now to compare to the LCD's

:)

oh yeah

also tweaked the Dared more
now have a NOS now have a 7025A raytheon tube in it with the russian NOS 6N1-EB and 6N2-EB

sounds punchier now than stock.... better lower bass.... and the hollow mids are gone....

also been trying the LCD2 with a Kenwood KA-3020 se......     wow...... can that baby drive these to some volume.....

all good fun

May 15, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #474 of 1,146
  yes the silver cable

Made for me by a chap i know, custom made, cost me about £35 all done...  made a big difference to the grainy vocals on the L2.....and opened out the sound stage a tad, and just cleaned up the bass a little too , especially on complicated bass tracks.... The L2 is an impressive heaphones, I would say i prefer it to the K550 on everything but Loud Rock.... where i prefer the K550's slightly laid back treble.....

The LCD2 is a better headphone all round in terms of sound quality.... but boy does it carry some weight on the head...

wanting a pair of electrostatics now to compare to the LCD's

oh yeah

also tweaked the Dared more
now have a NOS now have a 7025A raytheon tube in it with the russian NOS 6N1-EB and 6N2-EB

sounds punchier now than stock.... better lower bass.... and the hollow mids are gone....

also been trying the LCD2 with a Kenwood KA-3020 se......     wow...... can that baby drive these to some volume.....

all good fun

I just realized something. From your in-depth comparison between the L2 and the LCD-2, I agree that although the LCD-2 may have the more integrated presentation and of course the Audeze bass, the fact that the L2 is even comparable shows how great a feat the headphone truly is. Maybe some would prefer the more revealing midrange and the detailed treble of the L2 and some would prefer the relaxing performance of the LCD-2. Yes, preference always plays a big part in deciding but what amazes me exactly between these two headphones is that it is only preference that would be separating the two and not the level of performance, at least in some aspects. I can't imagine someone saying the L2 is a better headphone than the LCD-2 altogether but with performance extremely close or maybe at the same level in certain aspects, I can easily imagine the L2 being picked over the LCD-2. Simplifying my rather raw train of thought, the L2 is a slightly inferior headphone as a whole but that amount of slight difference in performance can be easily overlooked out of preference for its different presentation.

That being said, I surely haven't brought my L2 up to the level you've made it. I'm hoping for a CLAS -dB and Duet combo which would give it stronger and deeper bass, slighter treble emphasis, and a push in the lower midrange. Sadly I'm limited to a transportable rig as I think my parents would kill me if I tried getting the full desktop rig you have. My house is congested as it is. With my current rig it's no longer hollow as the Duet give some emphasis to the midrange but I feel it could still use more body.

May 15, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #476 of 1,146
rajygyqa.jpg

May 15, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #480 of 1,146

1. maricius

I just realized something. From your in-depth comparison between the L2 and the LCD-2, I agree that although the LCD-2 may have the more integrated presentation and of course the Audeze bass, the fact that the L2 is even comparable shows how great a feat the headphone truly is. Maybe some would prefer the more revealing midrange and the detailed treble of the L2 and some would prefer the relaxing performance of the LCD-2. Yes, preference always plays a big part in deciding but what amazes me exactly between these two headphones is that it is only preference that would be separating the two and not the level of performance, at least in some aspects. I can't imagine someone saying the L2 is a better headphone than the LCD-2 altogether but with performance extremely close or maybe at the same level in certain aspects, I can easily imagine the L2 being picked over the LCD-2. Simplifying my rather raw train of thought, the L2 is a slightly inferior headphone as a whole but that amount of slight difference in performance can be easily overlooked out of preference for its different presentation.

That being said, I surely haven't brought my L2 up to the level you've made it. I'm hoping for a CLAS -dB and Duet combo which would give it stronger and deeper bass, slighter treble emphasis, and a push in the lower midrange. Sadly I'm limited to a transportable rig as I think my parents would kill me if I tried getting the full desktop rig you have. My house is congested as it is. With my current rig it's no longer hollow as the Duet give some emphasis to the midrange but I feel it could still use more body.

Yes that hollow midrange was something i noticed out of the box on the L2.... The cable change soon improved that ! .... i found that a bit of tube rolling could tailor the sound in a better way to match the L2's signature.... however... what helpled the L2 did not suit the LCD2 

The LCD2 likes a powerful , lively amplifier, that can make the most of it's strengths and negate that veiled top end..... its a headphone that loves to be driven hard, and can sound glorious with certain music.......

The L2 for what i paid for it is pretty special..... i have compared it to my mates P7, the K550,  a pair of Momentum's i borrowed for an evening.....and i prefer the L2 overall, These MidFi cans are such a big step up from the basic cans in audio capability and not that far behind the £1000 cans..... and just think all that saved money to spend on music :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back