Philips Fidelio L2
Mar 22, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #346 of 1,146
20 headphones test including X1 & L2:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=sv&u=http://m3.idg.se/2.1022/1.551771/stort-test--20-horlurar-for-basta-ljudet/sida/3/test-horlurar-sida-3&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dtest%2Bfidelio%2Bl2%26sa%3DX%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-GB:IE-Address%26rlz%3D1I7TSCA_en___GB359%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D587%26tbs%3Dqdr:w

The translation is not great but they rate X1 8/10, Momentum 9/10, and L2 gets 10/10.

Mar 22, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #347 of 1,146

You don't say what you are going to be using as source ?  will these be used with a phone ?  or Ipod... or a laptop/mac ?
I can't comment on the sound of the X1 as I only have the L2.... it is a very good headphone .... doesn't have a real weakspot that i can hear... Bass is well extended and tuneful, Mids are slightly recessed with stock cable but some to life with a good silver cable, highs are clear no aggressiveness, They produce good detail across a deep soundstage, position instruments well and have good pace and timing, comfy if a little warm after extended periods of use....and very easy to drive....  did I mention they look stonking too :)

They make my other headphones sound poor in comparison, and they just get better with better sources...

All listening is subjective and my personal opinion of course..... but for the money I beleive them to be a good choice....

I think i will have to spend maybe £400 to better them.....by any significant amount....

Thanks, I will probably be using my ipod touch 4g.
How about the comfort, and the pressure on the head? I have only tried on-ear headphones, but the fact that they do not cover my whole ears, and put alot of pressure on my head was extremely uncomfortable. I couldn't wear them for more than 15 minutes. 

Mar 22, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #348 of 1,146
  1. retwisted wrote

Thanks, I will probably be using my ipod touch 4g.
How about the comfort, and the pressure on the head? I have only tried on-ear headphones, but the fact that they do not cover my whole ears, and put alot of pressure on my head was extremely uncomfortable. I couldn't wear them for more than 15 minutes.

The L2 has very good comfort, pressure is just right and the cushions are good quality and make a good seal, I would venture caution for people with very BIG ears... might be a bit of a squeeze.... but as i did say before they make such a good seal they get warm..... I have no complaints.... The Sennheiser HD477's i have stop the blood flow to my brain  LOL .....  and the L2's are 100% more comfy than those cans.....

Its hard to criticize the L2's they do most things well.... not perfect i can imagine... but a good all rounder.....

my Sennheiser HD 520's are more comfy but sound flat in comparison
and the HD 420's have beautiful mids , but little else in Comparison

The Superflux HD 668B have a bigger and wider sound stage but lack timing, and depth, and realism in comparison.

none of my other headphones come close to be honest.....  The L2's are a class act for the Money.....  

don't get me wrong.... I am sure there are others to try..... The Momentums get rave reviews.... The New NAD Headphones are well received...The X1's will be more comfy i am sure......

but I do think anyone looking for a cost/performance heaphone will be happy with the L2..... it has certainly inspired me the last few weeks.....  did I mention it looks stonking     LOL......

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #349 of 1,146
At this point, is there any reason NOT to buy the L2's over the X1's? Seems like most prefer the L2 over X1, they're more portable, can be used as a headset, fold, only thing stopping me is the lack of replaceable pads.

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #350 of 1,146
  At this point, is there any reason NOT to buy the L2's over the X1's? Seems like most prefer the L2 over X1, they're more portable, can be used as a headset, fold, only thing stopping me is the lack of replaceable pads.

The X1 may have better pads than the L2. I haven't had the X1 so I cannot speak to it, only draw assumptions. But the L2 can get pretty warm due to the pads and the semi-open design.

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #351 of 1,146

To me, they're different cans - they sound different, feel different, use different sized drivers and materials, are suited for different purposes, etc.  If portability is a concern, definitely get the L2's.  If not, I have a really hard time recommending one over the other.  I have both and I'm not going to get rid of either for a long time!

Mar 24, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #352 of 1,146
  To me, they're different cans - they sound different, feel different, use different sized drivers and materials, are suited for different purposes, etc.  If portability is a concern, definitely get the L2's.  If not, I have a really hard time recommending one over the other.  I have both and I'm not going to get rid of either for a long time!

Portability isn't a concern.. more of a plus. Looking for something versatile but mainly for my PS4 with some music from my iPhone and macbook.

Mar 24, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #353 of 1,146
  Portability isn't a concern.. more of a plus. Looking for something versatile but mainly for my PS4 with some music from my iPhone and macbook.

In that case, as much as I love the L2, for music and gaming I would pick the X1.  Simply for the bigger soundstage and extended sub-bass, which always makes for a more immersive viewing experience. Only my opinion though..............

Mar 24, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #354 of 1,146
Need some help from L2 owners.. Have you guys tried the L2 with DACPort? Does the DACPort's 10 ohm output impedance screw up the frequency respond of the L2?

Mar 25, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #355 of 1,146
back again !

Well I had to have something to compare these puppy's against cause they were making a mockery of my other headphones in every department, So I made the plunge and got some AKG 550's... similar price level and also easy to drive...

Initial impressions are very interesting....

want to mention this first tho...

the AKG's are very made, Quality just oozes from the opening of the box :)

Well placed on the head they felt very comfy, and the sound is very accurate, imaging good for a closed headphone, and they have a certain methodical clarity that is very apparent from the first track I loaded ( Golden - Lady Antebellum ) vocals clear and well placed, good width and pretty good depth...

all good points and very pleasant to listen too if i hadn't just been listening to the L2's !

Its hard to say any aspect of the K550 is better than the L2....

The L2 is just as clear, better integrated, has more depth, it is faster has better PRAT , more bass weight, better instrument positioning and is altogether more musical overall...

the only better aspect I have heard so far on the AKG is vocals are slightly easier to follow... and this is close run thing....

Granted the AKG has to burn in.... I will put it on continous loop for a few days and get that done and see what improves and get back to everyone.

I have to add the AKG is still a really good heaphone and is better than all my other cans, its just the L2 is just so coherent and musical, music is involving, its impossible to not have a tapping foot and look forward to the next song queued up...

all initial comparison is done with Winamp Wasapi thro HRT Microstreamer....

I am gonna enjoy both of these headphones thats for sure !!!

Mar 27, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #356 of 1,146
  back again !

Well I had to have something to compare these puppy's against cause they were making a mockery of my other headphones in every department, So I made the plunge and got some AKG 550's... similar price level and also easy to drive...

Initial impressions are very interesting....

want to mention this first tho...

the AKG's are very made, Quality just oozes from the opening of the box :)

Well placed on the head they felt very comfy, and the sound is very accurate, imaging good for a closed headphone, and they have a certain methodical clarity that is very apparent from the first track I loaded ( Golden - Lady Antebellum ) vocals clear and well placed, good width and pretty good depth...

all good points and very pleasant to listen too if i hadn't just been listening to the L2's !

Its hard to say any aspect of the K550 is better than the L2....

The L2 is just as clear, better integrated, has more depth, it is faster has better PRAT , more bass weight, better instrument positioning and is altogether more musical overall...

the only better aspect I have heard so far on the AKG is vocals are slightly easier to follow... and this is close run thing....

Granted the AKG has to burn in.... I will put it on continous loop for a few days and get that done and see what improves and get back to everyone.

I have to add the AKG is still a really good heaphone and is better than all my other cans, its just the L2 is just so coherent and musical, music is involving, its impossible to not have a tapping foot and look forward to the next song queued up...

all initial comparison is done with Winamp Wasapi thro HRT Microstreamer....

I am gonna enjoy both of these headphones thats for sure !!!

I just picked up the K550's as my first foray into midrange headphones. At first, I was unimpressed because of the excessive weight and weak clamping force, which coupled together made for a slightly uncomfortable, awkward experience, as it meant that a focused and tight seal was difficult to achieve. Once a seal was achieved, however, the bass, particularly the sub-bass, really fattened up in a pleasing and immersive way. The sound stage was still wide and deep, but the level of immersion picked up.

Anyway, after owning them for a few days, I decided to test them with the 'Das Boot' test. I put Das Boot in my Blu-ray player and watched all 3 hours 35 minutes of it with my the K550's in one sitting, and they didn't hurt or cause any major discomfort all throughout the film. I always knew they were present on my head, probably because of the weight, but it was an exhilarating experience. The sound quality in that film is immense. It's the perfect way to to test a pair of headphones, IMO.

I was initially considering either sending them back or selling them on and trying something else—maybe the L2's, HP50's, or Sony MDR-1R's—but I'll be keeping them now. I have yet to test them in a gaming application or with a dedicated amplifier and DAC, but I can only imagine they'll perform well in those fields, too.

By the way, since you own both the L2's and 550's, can you compare sound isolation for me? I'm still really keen on the Fidelio's because of their lighter weight.

Mar 27, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #357 of 1,146

1. AngryGoldfish

By the way, since you own both the L2's and 550's, can you compare sound isolation for me? I'm still really keen on the Fidelio's because of their lighter weight.

The L2's leak sound guess its their semi openness , its a shame really cause they fit so well on the head ( no chance of falling off on the move )  I can't see anyone wandering around with the AKG's .... hey don't get me wrong they would certainly look brill and turn heads.... but they don't clamp they perch, a good seal can be made by bending the headband slightly so as You say the bass is complete and fast and very tuneful, a tweak to the EQ and the sub bass really shines, but as a portable.... not sure.....they are certainly efficient .....

The L2's feel great , seal great, and would be ok on the move for sure.... just be aware others will get a listen too....

Both are great home cans...... its hard to say which anyone would prefer..... for me Rock sounds better on the AKG and more softer accoustic on the L2's...  if I had to be critical i would say the L2 is a better headphone.... but its close....

The AKG,s need a good burn in....left em on loop for 24 hours at a fair volume to warm them up.... they like to be broken in..... the bass improves and the overall musicality gets more enjoyable....

I am really happy with both of them, cause they a made music more fun .... and after all thats what counts at the end of day....

it's worth pointing out that both these babys get  lot better when connected to a real hifi ... by that I mean a Tube amp and expensive DAC....  I am guessing I havent heard the best they can be yet......  in terms of value for Money

£109 for the AKG's and £151 for the L2's  is very cheap for the quality on offer....
and i wouldnt hesitate in recommending either headphones......They are far better than anything I have ever owned before !!!

I could compare them with my Naim setup and AE'1's in terms of enjoyment.....and the neighbours dont get to hear as well LOL

Have some new tubes arriving next week for the MC34-B Pre and Drive stagesso will be interesting how that goes....

I have some M1 Bluetooth....  now if we are talking "on the move"  :)

Mar 27, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #359 of 1,146
  1. krelianx
  2. Wrote

Does anyone have any more impressions of how these compare to the X1s?

Wish I had the X1's to compare !!!

If they are better than these L2's and the AKG 550's  then I want some    .......

I take You  are looking for some Home Use only Headphones ?

Got some Birthday Massacre zooming around in my head as I type..... very powerful and boppy......

almost tempted to order the X1's just to see how good they are .......  

Mar 27, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #360 of 1,146
Just been comparing the L2's with some Sennheiser HD477's I have

its quite honestly scary how much better the L2 is.....

I know there is quite a price difference...... but still......   its almost offensive to listen to music on the HD477 after the L2's...

if ever someone wanted to see what can be heard, loved, appreciated . for spending a few more dollars......

its worth the eye opening comparison....

These phones are a bargain....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back