Philips Fidelio L2
Jan 28, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #241 of 1,146
  Of course I will be the first to admit that my opinion is an opinion and a very subjective one at that. Also an opinion formed by having listened to only very small collection of sources/gear so I would correct my statement to 'it does not sound sibilant or metalic to me compared to a couple of mid range iems and a couple of low/mid range headphones' :) . So take whatever I say with a massive pinch of salt everyone.

I quoted you instead of the one who said they heard it sounded metallic and sibilant....when I said "comments like this"...I was referring to comments about it sounding metallic.

No need to correct yourself... Sorry for quoting you .
redface.gif
 . I was just saying that to inform the person to take the impressions he read about the metallic sound with a grain of salt and not to totally lean on them. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #242 of 1,146
  I quoted you instead of the one who said they heard it sounded metallic and sibilant....when I said "comments like this"...I was referring to comments about it sounding metallic.

No need to correct yourself... Sorry for quoting you .
redface.gif
 . I was just saying that to inform the person to take the impressions he read about the metallic sound with a grain of salt and not to totally lean on them. 

That's fine! Gave me the opportunity to explain myself a bit as I am a total noob around here :)

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #244 of 1,146
  Going out of topic, the L2s do seem to scratch & get nicked easily. It sure is annoying as I do carry them around these days.

I've not had that problem.  In fact, apart from a bit of dust mine still look brand new and I used them almost every day.  

Do you carry them in your bag?  I usually hold them around my neck or place them on my office desk.  Maybe (not accusing) you put them in your bag with keys or something without the protective bag?

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #245 of 1,146
Yup always carry them with the provided bag, cables in a separate bag as well, & straight into the bag after use. Its because its a fine looking headphone that I am being so anal about the few very small 0.5mm long scratches & nicks scratches revealing the silver underneath are pretty obvious to me.

It didn't really mattered on the HD650s & Denons to me, just throw them around all the time, lol.

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #246 of 1,146
On the topic of sibilance and I guess treble energy, I wouldn't say it's particularly prone to sibilance or all that hot in the treble region. Especially when compared to say the K702 or DT 990, both of which are known to be fairly bright and sibilant. I would even say the HE-500 is more prone to sibilance than the L2, and I rarely encounter any with the HE-500.

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #247 of 1,146
  Yup always carry them with the provided bag, cables in a separate bag as well, & straight into the bag after use. Its because its a fine looking headphone that I am being so anal about the few very small 0.5mm long scratches & nicks scratches revealing the silver underneath are pretty obvious to me.

It didn't really mattered on the HD650s & Denons to me, just throw them around all the time, lol.

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough LOL.

If I look super close I can see some minor wearing here and there. So yeh I guess if you're anal about it. 
wink_face.gif

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #248 of 1,146
I received my L2s on Friday from amazon.it (146 headphones + €7 shipping + €12.25 customs fee in Switzerland).

It feels to me as a very nice upgrade from my L1s in the office (I also have Fidelio X1s and other headphones at home). Listening to all kinds of music via an HRT microStreamer and I am having a lot of fun. So much fun actually that I could just smile all the time. That's what I expect from a good pair of headphones. I am very happy.

Feb 3, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #249 of 1,146
My only issue with Phillips is the non user replaceable pads and the (sorta) small 1 year warranty. But that was with the L1

Interested in trying these, I really liked both the L1 and X1 when i was able to audition them.

Feb 3, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #250 of 1,146
  My only issue with Phillips is the non user replaceable pads and the (sorta) small 1 year warranty. But that was with the L1

I've had my Fidelio L1s for more than 2 years now, using them almost every workday in the office and I sometimes took them with me on trips. The pads look like they're new and the memory foam is still functional and comfortable. The pads don't seem to be an issue.

However, there is a small cable going up from the left-hand-side headphone which shows it age. It's still intact inside and the sound is still great but the outer black textile cover started to get off where it touched the metal part (see at the very bottom on the attached photo). This issue was fixed in the L2 headphones which have these cables internally.

Feb 3, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #252 of 1,146
2 questions...

1) Is the L2 still of the closed/semi open variety?

2) Does anyone know when these go on sale in North America?

Feb 4, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #254 of 1,146
How would your compare the sound from HRT with sound from mobile source such as iPhone or Android phone (don't know the mobile you have)? Is it worth buying to listen from mobile source? Thank you!

I keep the headphones in the office where I cannot really do tests. However, I've still spent a some time listening to the L2s with the same tracks (mostly 256 kbps iTunes purchased to be fair) on these:
  1. the HRT microStreamer
  2. retina MacBook Pro 13" (late 2013)
  3. iPhone 5

I also listened to some 24bit 88.2 kHz tracks with and without the microStreamer on the MacBook, with and without the BitPerfect player. (My phone doesn't have higher-than-CD-quality music on it.)

Looks like the L2s are very enjoyable with both the MacBook and the iPhone. They probably have good DAC/amp built in. I would enjoy using the L2s directly with the MacBook Pro and the iPhone.

Having said that, the microStreamer adds some clarity and detail as well as a better soundstage, especially with fine Jazz and classical music. The bass is also better defined (examples where the bass advantage is very clear: "At-Takwir - The Overthrowing #81" by Laszlo Hortobagyi and "Sword Of The Samurai" by Lisa Gerrard). Note that the microStreamer also has the advantage of being able to support higher sound volumes which is required when listening to some quiet classical music.

Looks like, it's worth plugging in the microStreamer for the L2s. But it's still okay to fall back on the iPhone's output if I am on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back