Philips Fidelio L2
Jan 17, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #196 of 1,146
  I know you've only had them for a short time, but how do they compare to your LCD-2's?

There has been a lot of talk since Mikes article on Headfonia, so a comparison from someone who has both would be very interesting.

I'll have to get back to you on that one, I haven't spent much time with the LCD-2's recently since I just got the Alpha Dogs in last week...

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:01 AM Post #197 of 1,146

+
^ Hmmm that is not sounding too promising. Seem like they ain't THAT much of an improvement over the L1s. Do you own the X1s by any chance and if you do how do these L2s compare???

The slightly recessed mids of the X1s was a deal breaker for me sadly and they didn't really WOW me esp. with their stock cable.

No I don't have the X1's so I can't really comment there, also I've never tried the L1's either so I'm not sure what's really changed...

Jan 17, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #198 of 1,146
Of course the lcd2 is better but you can run the verry good l2 staight out of your ipod. I listen to my lcd2 way more than the l2 but that is at home with a serious desktop system. If I were to use it on the go or at the office the l2 would be the headphone of my choice

Jan 19, 2014 at 4:03 AM Post #200 of 1,146
I am really tempted by the price, I've considered BO H6, but they're more than double.

I can get L2's + JDS Labs C5D for the price of H6.

Two things that are holding me back, isolation and leakage, because of semi-open design.

If you crank up the volume, can they isolate in commute? Also, do they leak much, will my colleagues hate me? :)

What's the warranty on these?

Thanks!

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #201 of 1,146
  I am really tempted by the price, I've considered BO H6, but they're more than double.

I can get L2's + JDS Labs C5D for the price of H6.

Two things that are holding me back, isolation and leakage, because of semi-open design.

If you crank up the volume, can they isolate in commute? Also, do they leak much, will my colleagues hate me? :)

What's the warranty on these?

Thanks!

Isolation is so so. I took them with me around town over the weekend and while it certainly reduced external noise, it was nowhere near any of my IEM's (which is to be expected). I will say that having some noise leakage when your out and about is probably not a bad thing, gives you a bit more situational awareness.

I also did a quick isolation test at home as well (using my speakers at my regular listening volume to play music) and the L2's provided slightly less isolation compared to the Alpha Dogs but considerably more compared to my other planars and the K702. Leakage wise, I left the L2's at standard listening volume driven out of my X3 (I think the volume was bumped to around half way) and then clamped the L2's on a large pillow (yeah I'm super scientific...) and the sound leakage was surprisingly minimal. Maybe a little bit more leakage vs the AD's but not bad. I wouldn't be too concerned with the level of sound leaking out unless your office is dead silent.

Jan 20, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #202 of 1,146
Jan 21, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #206 of 1,146
I just received these headphones.

They sit quite nicely on the head, though they feel kind of strange on the ears, you definately notice them and I don't think they are ergonomically perfect for my ears, kind of feels like they are sitting backwards.

Soundwise, they didn't impress me at first, but after my second listening and increasing the volume a bit, I am learning to enjoy it more, definately a better sonical experience against my IEM phonak audeo pfe232. The sound leakage is there as people have written, how much I don' really know and can't really compare. Sound isolation is not that great, really it isn't. It does dampen ambient noise, but very very little. They don't make your ears all that warm, though the band on the head is noticable and might(probably) will distract and "hurt" a little. 

Now my question is, do I return these for Sennheiser Momentum over ears or do I keep these? I really would like to hear the Momentums, but perhaps someone has an opinion on this matter?  

Sennheiser Momentum vs Philips Fidelio L2.

Jan 21, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #207 of 1,146
  Hi, if anyone is interested in another opinion on the L2 phones, from an ex audiophile who has been absent from the hobby a long time, it can be seen on a well known rain forest's UK web site.

Hi, thanks for review, enjoyed reading it. I am looking for a headphone for classical music too. How does it compare to headphones in your past audiophile experience?

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #208 of 1,146

They sit quite nicely on the head, though they feel kind of strange on the ears, you definately notice them and I don't think they are ergonomically perfect for my ears, kind of feels like they are sitting backwards.

Soundwise, they didn't impress me at first, but after my second listening and increasing the volume a bit, I am learning to enjoy it more, definately a better sonical experience against my IEM phonak audeo pfe232. The sound leakage is there as people have written, how much I don' really know and can't really compare. Sound isolation is not that great, really it isn't. It does dampen ambient noise, but very very little. They don't make your ears all that warm, though the band on the head is noticable and might(probably) will distract and "hurt" a little. 

Now my question is, do I return these for Sennheiser Momentum over ears or do I keep these? I really would like to hear the Momentums, but perhaps someone has an opinion on this matter?  

The momentum is really getting bested by the headphones coming out.

That is also too vague of a question. What are you expecting and wanting from a headphone?

The momentum is good but I prefer the AKG K545 and YAMAHA HPH MT-220 to it by a fair margin. Though all of the above arent the best for isolation. Also you have the new favorite around here the NAD VISO HP50.

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #209 of 1,146

I'd say the L2 > Momentum for my tastes (sound wise).  However, I'm not a fan of Sennheiser.  The momentum probably has better isolation, not that I've tested them together. 

If you could compare the L2 to true open back headphones you'd find the isolation a lot better.  But since you're comparing them to IEM's I can understand you saying "Sound isolation is not that great".  I do agree though that they do let sound in quite a bit.  Not the type of headphones you want on a plane or bus or train or in a crowd if it's going to be very loud.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back