Philips Fidelio L1 (upcoming headphone)
Dec 8, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #80 of 246

Quote:
Review in French at: http://www.lesnumeriques.com/casque-audio/philips-fidelio-l1-p12356/test.html

Frequency response:

Wait what? The other posted graph had a peak in the 2kHz~3kHz region, this one has it at about 7kHz. Also the bass response seems different, but that might just be me. Different dummies give out different results I suppose

Dec 8, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #81 of 246
Wait what? The other posted graph had a peak in the 2kHz~3kHz region, this one has it at about 7kHz. Also the bass response seems different, but that might just be me. Different dummies give out different results I suppose

This is an equalized graph, while the previous one is raw. Without equalization, the frequency response includes the ear canal resonance, which adds a large peak at about 3.5 kHz.

Dec 8, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #83 of 246
Yea that peak still looks a bit worrisome, luckily it's close to 8kHz and many people got access to a EQ that has 8kHz band, would probably reduce it by around 5dB at 8kHz and it should probably sound very balanced.

Dec 17, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #84 of 246
No, the measured peak shouldn't in itself be worrisome at all, as one can only compare graphs from the same source, and here is their HD650's graph :

As you can see it has a very similar peak at the same place. So their measurement system gives different results than others - which is fine, none of them should be used as absolute measurements, only relative. And as the HD650 certainly doesn't have boosted trebles at all, I suppose the peak seen in the L1's graph, in itself, shouldn't be a worry. It doesn't mean that it won't sound harsh somehow, but it means one cannot infer so much out of a graph.

Dec 17, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #85 of 246
Yea I should have checked out the other graphs too for comparision's sake, these look like they might be very neutral sounding cans for a good price (and easy driven).

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #86 of 246
Disregard the graph guys. I just bought the L1 in HK on one of my recent trips. The sound is good although i bought it at a little more than msrp for 2899 from HMV tsim sha sui branch. Sound is very good. Smooth from highs to lows. Will burn in and post some more impressions. Pics to follow

Dec 27, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #87 of 246

Quote:
Disregard the graph guys. I just bought the L1 in HK on one of my recent trips. The sound is good although i bought it at a little more than msrp for 2899 from HMV tsim sha sui branch. Sound is very good. Smooth from highs to lows. Will burn in and post some more impressions. Pics to follow

popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back