Philips Fidelio L1 (upcoming headphone)
Oct 31, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #32 of 246

Quote:

How come? You know some1 from philips? Haven't seen them for sale in europe yet.

I just asked the agent in the US--there's also the fact that I'm writing for Headfonics. They get samples in a couple of weeks.

Nov 1, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #33 of 246
you lucky....
  Have you heard the SHP890, SHP910, SHP1000 or SHP9000 to compare them to? ( actually that's not their current market comparison is it...)
Be nice to compare them somehow to something, but I'm sure you 're more than capable and know what you're gonna do.  Getting excited. I hope you get a loaner pair.

Nov 1, 2011 at 5:29 AM Post #34 of 246
Yea I have a good feeling about this headphone for some reason. Looking forward to your opinions of it.

Nov 1, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #36 of 246

Quote:
you lucky....
  Have you heard the SHP890, SHP910, SHP1000 or SHP9000 to compare them to? ( actually that's not their current market comparison is it...)
Be nice to compare them somehow to something, but I'm sure you 're more than capable and know what you're gonna do.  Getting excited. I hope you get a loaner pair.

Sadly I have not; I actually hadn't even heard of them (save for the HP1000, which I kinda want) and can't find them for sale anywhere! What do they sound like?

I have a good feeling about the L1's too. I already kind of like the Stretch headphones I have after modding. I wonder if they'd be so kind as to let me poke around inside!

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #37 of 246
Sometimes you can still  find a HP1000. Just hope it is in good condition. I already passed mine on...

Soundwise, close to the DF and with amplification it wakes up. There is something that is very special with the HP1000, its bass. ClausDK has my HP1000 now so he can tell you more. 

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #39 of 246
What kind of mods did you do to the stretch headphones?  Anything that opened up the mids? 

Quote:
Sadly I have not; I actually hadn't even heard of them (save for the HP1000, which I kinda want) and can't find them for sale anywhere! What do they sound like?

I have a good feeling about the L1's too. I already kind of like the Stretch headphones I have after modding. I wonder if they'd be so kind as to let me poke around inside!

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #40 of 246

Quote:
What kind of mods did you do to the stretch headphones?  Anything that opened up the mids? 

They're just super basic mods derived from the Grado modding thread. I just poked two additional holes in the back of the driver which gave the bass some actual texture, which they were sorely lacking in, and tack on the cups. Oh, and I removed the terrible cloth in front of the drivers. Surprisingly, the mids came out with all this stuff and sound decent. They'd actually be worth $80 (total package with the build and portability) if they sounded like this stock. They're pretty grainy though.

How much (estimate) are the HP1000's worth? I can never get a nice gage (gauge? Ah, blast it) for pricing of older headphones that aren't common, but aren't at the "I'd pay anything for a pair" region.

Nov 2, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #41 of 246
The 890's and I believe the 910's suffer from fragility of the build at particularly bad stress points, as in where the cup swivel meets the headband.  The 9000's ( Cineos )have the same 1000 driver , from what I understand from the scant few posts in here, and also the angled driver setup as the 1000  in almost the same housings. No issues with build fails, except the odd minor squeak which is fixed with a tiny dab of silicone grease. They barely can be had still new in box for about $150 give or take, only 2 or 3 places.
Not much point in comparing them though as, from what I can tell, hardly anyone has them or gives them a second glance when they are deserving of a lot more than that. People that know them seem to really like them though. Bass sure is something on these 9000, like the comment in the thread above.
The 890's are the odd spaceship look still ( below ),  The 910's are even crazier looking.
my set but auction picture I won them from.

The 9000 likes amps :) and I'd recommend swapping the original fabric pads with aftermarket pleather. Picks up the bass and fills out the overall sound. Don't know what they were thinking with the fabric pads. Like the minor tweaks you did with the stretch: you'd think they would have tested that during their trial stages.

I guess why I am going on about these is that they were the last attempt at a higher end can Philips released that I am aware of and I love them. Nice comfort, great open sound with new pads,( keep thinking my speakers are on ) sheathed fabric detachable cord with metal strain relief jack. Sorely tempted to get a new spare pair, or put the $ towards these new ones.

Which means that I'll grab the L1 pretty quickly, funds permitting. All and any of the earlier build quality issues should hopefully be absent and the quality materials....aluminum, leather, angled drivers again= Recipe for awesome. Add ingredients to one open wallet, stir and bake until no trace of funds can be seen. Done. Serves one.

BTW how is it pronounced Al-you-min-ee-um, is it actually spelled differently overseas or what? Always wondered about that.
At least they don't say Pheel-ips. or do they.

Nov 2, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #45 of 246
US-ians pronounce it al-lu-min-um. I honestly have no idea why, because aluminium is so much more fun to say. 

The low impedance/high sensitivity intrigued me too. If these sound good, they'll be a major hit because in all likelihood, most DAPs can drive it decently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back