Philips Fidelio L1 or AKG K 545 or Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear
Mar 31, 2014 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cMags1206

New Head-Fier
I need help deciding between these three headphones:

Philips Fidelio L1
AKG K545
Sennheiser Momentum On-ear

I noticed that the L1 has gone on sale on Amazon for $122. I'd preferably want to keep my budget under 200, but if the AKG K545 ($210) or the sennheiser momentum on-ear ($199) are better headphones, I would not mind spending the little extra cash. 

I listen to a variety of genres of music, but I typically listen to hip-hop and electronic music. The type of hip-hop I listen to though has a jazzy feel to it, and examples of artists I listen to are Nujabes, Acro Jazz Laboratories, Gowe, and DJ Okawari. I also listen to R&B, jazz, blues, and some classical music too. 

I also own the AKG Q701 and the Superlux HD 681. I really enjoy the AKG's, but they are not very ideal to bring around campus. The superlux were cheap headphones, around $40, but I was disappointed and want to look elsewhere and expand my budget for a portable-ish type of headphone. I will mostly be using these headphones when I study at the library, and I will occasionally use them when I walk around campus. 

Mar 31, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 12
i think the momentum would fit the bill. i had them and they were quite comfy while also having superb bass. they are built well too and stretch alot. the momentum's are portable and come with a nice protective case. try the dt770 pro if you are looking for other options at 200 bucks.

Mar 31, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 12
The Momentum On Ear's are meh

I'd say the L1's are the best bang for your buck. They are a sick headphone. The semi-open design provides a much wider sound stage as well. Good for the music you listen to. 

EDIT: Get the new V-Moda XS available on amazon for $199. They are extremely portable, and sound amazing too. Really, there is no question. Just get them.

Mar 31, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #5 of 12
To me, the Sennheiser Momentum on-ears are an insult to their over-ear big brothers. They sound muddy or congested. The K545's really nice though. Can't speak for the L1, never tried them.

You can consider the V-Moda M-100s however, really good looking and good sounding pair of portable over-ears.

Mar 31, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #6 of 12
I'd definitely choose the K545 over Momentums OE, they offer a much cleaner sound with wider soundstage than the Momentums. However, the K545 (being an over ear) is larger than the Momentums.

Haven't heard the L1 before, so can't comment on that...

Mar 31, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #7 of 12
I found the Momentum on-ears to be worse than the Fidelio M1. The on-ears seemed to distort at louder levels and vocals were not as present and upfront. The only thing it did better was give a sense of depth. I could definitely hear intruments at different distances on Vivaldi's 4 seasons whereas the M1 presented everything from one position.

Mar 31, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #9 of 12
The V-Moda M100 seems nice, but it is out of my price range at $300.

I've been talked out of the momentum on-ear, but i'm still debating between the AKG K545 and the Fidelio L1. Does anyone have a sound comparison between those two headphones?

Mar 31, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #10 of 12
  The V-Moda M100 seems nice, but it is out of my price range at $300.

I've been talked out of the momentum on-ear, but i'm still debating between the AKG K545 and the Fidelio L1. Does anyone have a sound comparison between those two headphones?

So sorry, I meant the V-Moda XS. They are brand new, and only $200. I really suggest you don't get the Momentum on ear's. K545's are good but the V-Moda's sound better for you.

Apr 1, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 12
  The Momentum On Ear's are meh

I'd say the L1's are the best bang for your buck. They are a sick headphone. The semi-open design provides a much wider sound stage as well. Good for the music you listen to. 

EDIT: Get the new V-Moda XS available on amazon for $199. They are extremely portable, and sound amazing too. Really, there is no question. Just get them.

You keep recommending the V-Moda XS but have you actually heard them? Momentum On-Ear's may be sub-par in terms of sound quality and value, but the XS could be worse. I would like to see a full SQ comparison between these two.

Apr 1, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #12 of 12
I have the V-Moda XS, and I can definitely say they are better than the Momentum on-ears, heck it's even one of the best on-ears I've heard to date. They're also insanely comfortable. I think I saw a new review about the XS in the head gear section, why not check that out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back