Philips DVD 963A- A review/comparison
Jan 27, 2003 at 4:27 AM Post #16 of 93
Is the picture also improved signifcantly if you don't have a progressive-scan tv?

Jan 27, 2003 at 5:01 AM Post #17 of 93
beautiful, wallet-shattering review, tuberoller.

i might have to sell my ps2 and pick one of these up now. the dvd playback gives me an excuse for doing so... joey, if you beat me to it i will be at your house in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

the blue LED is drawing my mouse closer and closer to dialing J&R's phone number...

Jan 27, 2003 at 7:28 AM Post #18 of 93
Good deal, tuberoller.

Since the 963 compares so favorably with all those players you mentioned, would it be fair to say that it beats other players in the same price range (specifically, the c541i, the MMF-CD25, the 222/333es, etc...)?

I was thinking about getting the c541i used, but if you're familiar with it, and think the 963 is better, maybe I'll pull the trigger on that. The bonus of SACD and excellent DVD playback makes it easier to justify, even if I may not use them.

Jan 27, 2003 at 10:01 AM Post #19 of 93
Great review, but no bass? I gotta pass.

(Actually, I want your dad's Revox E-46
wink.gif
)

Jan 27, 2003 at 11:41 AM Post #20 of 93
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
Every time I look at this player my ******* hurts

Tuberoller, comments like this just fuel kelly's fire......

Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I have to admit to feeling a bit strange about being the butt of Tuberoller's gay fantasy

rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2003 at 2:44 PM Post #21 of 93
Tuberoller: I'm still looking for really small speakers -- for two-channel I'll probably use Tannoy Reveals or my hoary NS-10Ms. Are there any smaller speakers you'd recommend with the 963A, given the particular emphasis (highs) of its frequency range?

EDIT: Have you tried multiregion firmware surgery with your US-shipped 963A? Who has the best price on the player currently? And is the original player you saw perhaps the model people have been buying from Soundform in the Netherlands? I've heard there were real differences between US and Euro models -- that the US model was held back due to extra features being added (and sturdier case replaced, perhaps?).

Jan 27, 2003 at 5:52 PM Post #22 of 93
I have had the chance to do some minor tweaking with really good results.

The bass has improved substantially with the addition of an upgraded power cord.A standard Three pronged cord fits,but the ground is unused.I have also placed the player on a large butcher block placed on a wall bracket with a sheet of Dynamat placed under the player.I also added a sheet of dynamat to the inside cover.This has helped the bass tremendously.Maybe the further burn-in has had a bigger part in this than I think but the chassis isolation has helped with the vibration transmission to/from the transport.I think the reason that isolation helps is because the transport is rigidly attached to the chassis.This was actually a very good idea on Philips part and should aid greatly in keeping vibrations away from the transport lasers and disc tray.Before the mods I could place my hand on the shelf with the player a feel the movement of the disc and laser.After the mods the vibrations are gone and there is a slightly darker backround.So,my early theory is that this player benefits from chassis isolation/decoupling.I will try some dampening as well to see if this helps any further or works better .I will take some pics of the set-up to show what I did.

Jan 27, 2003 at 5:59 PM Post #23 of 93
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
Tuberoller: I'm still looking for really small speakers -- for two-channel I'll probably use Tannoy Reveals or my hoary NS-10Ms. Are there any smaller speakers you'd recommend with the 963A, given the particular emphasis (highs) of its frequency range?

EDIT: Have you tried multiregion firmware surgery with your US-shipped 963A? Who has the best price on the player currently? And is the original player you saw perhaps the model people have been buying from Soundform in the Netherlands? I've heard there were real differences between US and Euro models -- that the US model was held back due to extra features being added (and sturdier case replaced, perhaps?).

At CES Tyll from Headroom clued me in to Green Mountain Loudspeakers.I ordered a set for myself after hearing them.The bookshelf model called the Europa is amazing.They are time-correct and phase-coherent which gives the effect of all the music reaching your ears at the same time,a trait most headphones users are familiar with.The soundstage is so deep,wide and realistic.They are not the most efficient but the bass is nice and tight and an amp with about 20 watts should do the job.These are my new favorite bookshelf speakers.They cost about $800.00.I think you will begin to hear more about Green Mountain after the fantastic impressions they made on listeners at CES.

Jan 28, 2003 at 3:19 AM Post #24 of 93
Tuberoller,

In no way, shape, or form can I add anything to your comments except to agree that the 963SA is something special. I've been using it with the K-1000s/nOrh SE-9 combo, and the level of detail that I have been hearing is unbelievable. I have it isolated on Tiptoes (yes, the original ones), and have placed a VPI-type brick on top of it, both with good results.

My two pet peeves: (1) you can only change most features through the menu that can only be viewed on a TV; (2) "Smart Resume" only works with DVDs; it doesn't work with either SACDs or CDs.

Jan 28, 2003 at 3:59 AM Post #25 of 93
Thanks for the great review Tuberoller!

I do have one question for you though... does the 963sa suffer from the same noisy transport problems of the sacd1000?

Is there a "ticking" noise every couple of seconds?

Jan 28, 2003 at 4:03 AM Post #26 of 93
I would really like to get the 963SA to relieve my xbox of DVD playback duties. The fact that it's a great source makes it all the easier.

My only concern is the lack of bass that has been brought up by the reviewers. I don't intend to do any tweaking except for using my VD power 3 cord.

Tuberoller :

After tweaks you said the bass "improved substantially"

Do you think it was just the cheap stock power cord holding the bass back?

Jan 28, 2003 at 6:35 AM Post #29 of 93
The transport is very silent in operation and is free of the ticks present in the SACD1000.

All of your replacement power cords will work fine with the Philips.It has a standard sized plug socket on the player but has correct polarity and is only missing the ground prong.The VD Power 3 will work.

I really should have allowed the player to burn-in more before I performed any tweaks.I did not do a very good job of baselining the performance of the bass before the tweaks and I really don't know that well if the tweaks or further burn-in contributed most to the improvements of the bass.Since I have now forced myself to take a guess,I would say the power cord in particular has helped most and the isolation has contributed somewhat as well.I don't want to discount further burn-in but my inability to verify the source of the bass gains warrants more burn-in than I allowed (approx.100 hours).

Jan 28, 2003 at 7:50 AM Post #30 of 93
TR

thanks for continuing to add to your comments, very much appreciated. this sounds like the source i was looking for, now the saving needs to begin.

FCJ...im glad to head the SE-9/K1000 combo matches the 963A well...i really like that combo myself, and would like to get my hands on them someday....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back