Philips A5-PRO "Armin Van Buuren Collaboration" (Owners and impressions)
Aug 9, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #211 of 528

My mistake, I thought It was the model number for the short cable on the A1pro, but looks like they don't even sell it separately, it's a shame. There is also a short ihpone control cable that comes with the A5Pro"i". But can't find it for sale separately either. Double shame.

Yeah I've been searching for it for quite a while, too.

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #216 of 528
I own all three cables, the A5PROi cable is made from the exact same stiff, hard and rough plastic that the coiled A5PRO cable is made from. They were made to be durable, which they do feel more-so than most cables, but their not nice to use as they aren't flexible and have memory.

My favorite cable is the A1Pro cable, which is made from a different material, a soft flexible plastic that doesn't have memory, keeps straight and doesn't have annoying curls/bends that don't go away, it is a straight 1.4m cable with only 2" of coil near the plug which is actually nice to have, and it still has the same massive 3.5mm connector from the coiled PRO cable. I would try and get one of these A1Pro cables if I were you, but if you want a small 3.5mm plug then the PROi cable is the only one. Unfortunately I can't seem to find the A1Pro cable for sale, which is a big shame.

A1Pro cable:

Aug 9, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #217 of 528

Okay, thanks for your help. I will use the China cable until it breaks and when the time is right i will build one myself with a good, flexible cable and some sleves.

So if anybody breaks his original cable I'd love do have it, at least to have the original connectors.

Aug 15, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #218 of 528
  Very cool

beerchug.gif

Thanks for keeping us updated!

Hi 5 could you make a quick comparison with your X2?
I'm interested to know if they have more/less bass and treble. 

I wish Tyll would measure these soon....

Aug 15, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #220 of 528
As a Basshead, is it a good idea to invest in these. Looking for something similar to the WS99 or the M100.

My imo is A5Pro is missing 5dB of sub bass to be a bass head can like those you mentioned. If you are willing to EQ the sub bass of the A5Pro I reckon it would destroy all bass head cans with it's overall quality, the mid bass, mids and treble are all exceedingly excellent in quality, just missing some sub bass to fill out the sound. Definitely worth buying though.

Aug 17, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #223 of 528
Aug 20, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #225 of 528
Got my "full size" 110mm pads (official from Armadashop):

- They are shallow (my ears - medium sized, not protruding far from my head - touch the element grill cloth - causing discomfort)
 - They are velour, NOT synthetic or real leather (they isolate MUCH less)

Really disappointed. I will put my A5-Pro on sale due to too high price, not high enough fidelity in sound, too low comfort and too small pads.

Still looking for a good, decent sounding, fully closed, fully circumaural replacement for Beyerdynamic T70P + Beyer gel pads, but with a warmer sound and near-perfect square waves in the bass dept (for a closed phone). I know it's possible, companies have pulled it off. The direction seems to towards thinner, smaller and less comfortable headphones... Home users (not-on-the-go) are left wanting.

Sigh.

PS Don't take this as a bashing of A5Pro. I'd like them for DJ Use, although I'd like the 110mm pads to be not velour, but either gel (for best isolation) or leather (for durability, isolation and easiness of cleaning on the go). But for the price they sell and with additional cost of 35€ for the extra pads, not worth it imho, unless you are a DJ or just like them for the looks. YMMV, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back