Philips 963sa troubles
Mar 6, 2004 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

zoomin

Head-Fier
My 963sa started to get very *fussy* about which DVDs it wanted to play. It got worse and worse until it would not play them more often than it would.

I took it to the local Philips service place, and they replaced it. I was very happy about that, as I am in Canada and bought it from a US online company.

When I go the replacement unit, I took it home and tried it out immediately and it worked great. The next day, though, I couldn't get any sound out of the thing. I fiddled with everything, in the menus and with the cabling and nothing. So, I took it back to the service center. They called back this week telling me that they could find nothing wrong with it! They said it worked lawlessly for them all week!

So here I am, back at home trying to get sound out of this thing. Nada! Video is great, but no sound at all. I have tried every combination of outputs(audio out, multi-frontchannel), source (DVDs, CDs, SACDs), menu options and no sound escape form any of the outputs (I have not tried any digital out options). I have tried the same cable and amp with other sources and they work fine.

I like to think of myself as fairly technically savy, but I am stumped!

Any suggestions?

Mar 6, 2004 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 8
During the year I have my unit, two or three times -- after a longer playing pause -- the sound had disappeared. But turning it off an on cured the issue. I have no explanation for your problem. There's certainly something wrong. Maybe just simulate the transport to the Philips service place and try it again after that...
tongue.gif
(Sorry for the inadequate humor!)

peacesign.gif

Mar 6, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by zoomin
They said it worked lawlessly for them all week!

Well, there's your problem right there.

More seriously, I agree with JaZZ. Try power cycling the unit when that happens (I suggest actually unplugging the unit). Sometimes it is a transitory processor problem.

Mar 7, 2004 at 3:03 AM Post #5 of 8
Unplug the thing, let it sit for a while and try listening to it with headphones. See if its a problem with the outputs.

Mar 7, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #7 of 8
Maybe the settings on the TV are off? Do you have it hooked up to a receiver so you can test its digital outputs?

Mar 8, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 8
no, I only have a 2-channel amp.

I have really tried everything - used three different amps, both audio out and multichannel-front channel out, DVDs, CD, SACD...the only thing I haven't tried is the digital outs (I bet they work) - I don't have a DAC to plug them into...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back