Philips 963/763 SACD downmix?
Nov 6, 2003 at 7:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

lindrone

King Canaling
I don't know if this has been covered before.. I searched the forum, and doesn't look anyone's really attempted to this..

Is there anyway to downmix the mult-channel SACD playback down to a 2-channel playback on either one of these players?

I just recently got a 763... I know it's not the 963.. it's actually pretty good though (and I also got it for $100.. so... good deal indeed)...

Nov 6, 2003 at 11:49 AM Post #2 of 16
There sould be an option on your remote or in an onscreen menu to switch to 2ch. Most discs default to 2ch anyway. I think my sony has a 2ch/multichannel button.

Nov 6, 2003 at 11:53 AM Post #3 of 16
You can use a mixer console...

Actually there's (always?) a two-channel track on SACDs. Why would you want to listen the multichannel tracks on two channels?

peacesign.gif

Nov 6, 2003 at 12:47 PM Post #5 of 16
Anders...

...my copy of DSOTM contains a stereo track! (EMI 7243 582136 2 1)

peacesign.gif

Nov 6, 2003 at 1:45 PM Post #6 of 16
I have the same version numer of the album but no SACD player yet. That may be the problem. Only the 5.1 is mentioned in the booklet. I thought I knew enough about recording formats, but maybe not!

Nov 6, 2003 at 6:24 PM Post #7 of 16
I was just hoping there's a way to set up the player so it can downmix the 5.1 channel into some sort of a two-speaker presentation.. instead of just listening to the 2-channel recording..

I'm not sure if there's any additional 3d presentation gained by doing that... but it sounds like an interesting experiment...
wink.gif

Nov 6, 2003 at 10:38 PM Post #8 of 16
Lindrone,

If I am not mistaken, the downmix is done if you use the Audio Out plugs (the ones next to the video on the 763SA). If you open up your player, you'll see that there is a multiplexer for that task...

We just bought 3 763SA at work... and I have to mod all of them. After each evolution on one player, we can evaluate progress by comparing to the other players. This is time consuming but fun at the same time.

Toiemoi

Nov 7, 2003 at 12:59 AM Post #9 of 16
Any idea what sort of configuration/setup you would have to do for it? There's a couple of different menu options for setting up the sound for different output, I'm not sure if any of them makes a difference...

Nov 7, 2003 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 16
toiemoi, I'm a bit skeptical that any SACD player would downmix multichannel to 2-channel, mainly because it is mandatory to include a 2 channel track on any SACD disc...is there anything in the official Philips info to confirm that it's downmixing thru the audio outs?

Nov 7, 2003 at 3:15 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
I was just hoping there's a way to set up the player so it can downmix the 5.1 channel into some sort of a two-speaker presentation.. instead of just listening to the 2-channel recording..

I'm not sure if there's any additional 3d presentation gained by doing that... but it sounds like an interesting experiment...
wink.gif

Actually, in the case of DSOTM, it's a completely different mix, so it's more than just an interesting experiment. I'm dying to hear it, myself (particularly, "On The Run", since they put back in a guitar part that was left off the final stereo mix [!])...on my Sony, however, the stereo channel is basically the same as the front two of the 5.1 channels. Need to pull out my 1202VLZ...

Nov 7, 2003 at 3:41 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

I'm a bit skeptical that any SACD player would downmix multichannel to 2-channel, mainly because it is mandatory to include a 2 channel track on any SACD disc...is there anything in the official Philips info to confirm that it's downmixing thru the audio outs?

On the 763, there are:
- 5.1 channel outputs... these are the real audio outputs. There are labelled "Multichannel audio out"
- 2 audio out. These are the one I am talking about (the manual tells us to connect them to the TV). There is a multiplexer just before the opamp for these two channels. Following the tracks, it seems to mix the 5.1 channels.

For a pure audio use, the SACD player should be use on the Multichannel outputs for at least 2 reasons:
- that is what Philips recommends in the manual
- there are fewer components on the signal path.

In all cases, Lindrone should be able to permute the SACD mode from 5.1 to 2 channels using the remote (no menu, just by pressing on the button).

Toiemoi

Nov 7, 2003 at 3:53 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by toiemoi
On the 763, there are:
- 5.1 channel outputs... these are the real audio outputs. There are labelled "Multichannel audio out"
- 2 audio out. These are the one I am talking about (the manual tells us to connect them to the TV). There is a multiplexer just before the opamp for these two channels. Following the tracks, it seems to mix the 5.1 channels.

For a pure audio use, the SACD player should be use on the Multichannel outputs for at least 2 reasons:
- that is what Philips recommends in the manual
- there are fewer components on the signal path.

In all cases, Lindrone should be able to permute the SACD mode from 5.1 to 2 channels using the remote (no menu, just by pressing on the button).

Toiemoi

That means that you can't get a "pure 2 channel audio signal" on the multichannel SACD player, or at least on those Philips?

Why recomending them, for headphone listening?

We do not have any 5.1 headphone system, this is a little weird IMO....if there is no way you can use a 2 channel "pure signal" in the SACD players, sorry I pass on them, my system is, and only will, be stereo....5.1 channels IMO is just for movies, unless you want to be part of the band that is playing, or the orchestra the is playing, there is reason to have sounds or instruments on my back in a music recording, IMO at least...

Nov 7, 2003 at 4:52 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

That means that you can't get a "pure 2 channel audio signal" on the multichannel SACD player, or at least on those Philips?

No... you can get a pure 2 channel signal by asking the player to play the 2 channel track: the button on the remote is "Sound mode". cf p22 of the manual
Quote:

You can switch between SACD multi-channel and SACD stereo layers (depending on availability of the mode on the disc) while the disc is playing by pressing the Sound Mode button ont the remote control or the player front.

Regarding a point I made in a previous post, (manual p12):
Quote:

For the best sound quality with playback of Audio SACDs and stereo SACDs, always use the left and right connectors of the high-quality stereo/Multichannel audio output. The separate stereo output is intended onlyf for connection to video equipment such as a TV set.

Toiemoi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back