Philips 890: A Review (LONG)
Apr 3, 2002 at 6:11 AM Post #16 of 51
I added a PC Gaming para to original review. I have some pics to insert, but the process does not seem intuitive...
frown.gif
Do I need to start a new post to insert jpgs? And how do I control exact placement of where the images go in the post? Do I have to use VBE code here?

Apr 3, 2002 at 7:18 AM Post #17 of 51
deS: I'll mention this to Jude, but I think this would go well in the Featured section.

As for the photos, you need to host them somewhere, and then put the code for each image right there in the text where you want it to show up, like this

lbracket image rbracket URL lbracket /image rbracket

where lbracket=[ and rbracket=]

Apr 3, 2002 at 11:48 AM Post #19 of 51
Nice job "d".

Apr 3, 2002 at 12:50 PM Post #20 of 51
Nice review DeS, you nicely sum up these cans. We must salute Tuberoller for his efforts too..

My intial impression of these phones have been mixed (I found them a little lukewarm with some music), but with extended listening I have come to like these phones a lot more.

I have a question. Do the SR125 sound better with the kind of music that HP890 fail to do justice? I have a feeling that would be the case. Is owning a grado good way to ensure you have cans for all occassions and to compliment HP890?. Or will I be better of using the CHA 47 for the HP890? How much does CHA 47 cost?

Apr 3, 2002 at 3:46 PM Post #21 of 51
Call me Ishmael, but I think that was a splendid review, delenda.
smily_headphones1.gif

I feel just as you, dknightd and probably many others, that the HP 890's large soundstage is its most striking feature. But even in terms of overall musicality and enjoyment factor, the HP 890 seems quite respectable to me.

Apr 3, 2002 at 5:27 PM Post #23 of 51
Mac---

thanks for the info! I'll have to see if my web provider has a hosting feature as part of my account.
smily_headphones1.gif

VTV---
I am biased towards Grado and think that a pair of Grados balance out any multi-headphone collection well. The 125 works very well with modern music, in terms of its proximal soundstage, and its handling of bass is different from the 890---fast and precise, while still conveying a lot of impact. The 60 has the traits of precision and speed in its bass, but loses a lot of the 125s impact. The 80 is an odd bird, and seems to lack the fine control of the 125; more bass than the 60, but less precise. I think the 125 is the first Grado that "does bass well" as you move up the brand line. I think the 890 and 125 would complement each other well, but neither one is good for portable devices, so if you planned to use em both at home, this would be a good pair.

I could also see using the Senn 280s and the 890s as a good combo as well, especially if you occasionally wanted to use one of the two with a portable. None of the other 3 phones I mentioned (580, 497, SR60) would complement the 890s all that well.

LT---I'd love to review the Stax sr-2001mk2, but there aren't that many Tuberollers out there!
biggrin.gif
I am getting some ER6s next, and my 910 review should be forthcoming in the next week or so.

Apr 4, 2002 at 12:52 AM Post #24 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
Man I think that you should consider writing for an audio magazine.

Lol... with deS "dark and fertile" imagination I would think children's books more his forte..... perhaps something along the lines of "Harry Potter and the Sugden Headmaster".

tongue.gif

Apr 4, 2002 at 4:05 AM Post #25 of 51
Sadly. my manuscript for "Clifford the Big Red Trilateral Commission Dog" has already been rejected by those wimps in kiddie book editorial land. I still have high hopes for "Where the Wild Things and Jimmy Hoffa Are" though....

wink.gif

Apr 4, 2002 at 5:16 AM Post #26 of 51
deS,
have you think of some cool mod for the HP890??

I have cut the plastic headband by 0.5inches for it to fit my small head(vertically) but I havent found a way to strengthen its grip onto my head(horizontally).

Apr 4, 2002 at 5:15 PM Post #27 of 51
Nice review.... the value rating fits my impression (as a person who hasn't heard any other hifi headphones)
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by delenda est Sony
Other than that Mumrik voodoo doll he mentioned making, I think Tube has taken this debacle in good grace and he is a great Head-fi member.

I guess we now know why I've been ill the last couple of week and will be going to the hospital next week...
eek.gif

Apr 4, 2002 at 5:31 PM Post #28 of 51
Yikes!
eek.gif
For the record, there was no voodoo doll, and I am sure Tuberoller wishes you all the best as do I. Feel better and come back to us soon, Mumrik!
smily_headphones1.gif

And thanks again to all who have paid this review such kind compliments...
cool.gif

Apr 19, 2002 at 3:58 AM Post #29 of 51
I'm bumping this as there seem to be a lot of 890 questions recently, esp comparisons to some of the cans I compared em with. Too hot here in NYC to reiterate in each post, so a bump may suffice!

enjoy all!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 26, 2002 at 11:49 PM Post #30 of 51
Thank you Delenda for the very informative Review.

You wrote:

"In overall quality of bass, I would rate the 890s inferior only to the closed 280s, the equal of the 125s and 590s (extension and impact versus speed and precision), and superior to the SR60s and 497s. Philips would probably have succeeded completely with bass here if they had used a more standard sized 40mm driver."

Very well, I have recently purchased a pair of Philips SBC HP 800 cans featuring exactly such 40mm Clarity Drivers with Mylar diaphragms. They sound fantastic to me. Very detailed. I am wondering whether I should have got the larger 890 or 910 cans instead. I understand the larger drivers generally deliver a better bass response. But that's not what you've said in the above quote. Questions:

Did you ever test drive the HP 800? How do they compare to the HP 890?

In your opinion, would such an upgrade be worth it? Am I missing out on much?

Again, thank you for a great Review.

Alex Altorfer

PS: I've spent approx. U$ 40 on the HP 800 (Brazil price).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back