Philadelphia, PA ?
Jul 30, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hold off the gear until we get a location and date confirmed.
smily_headphones1.gif

chzplz, everyone who gave colored dates of availability will be available on 8/17 with the exception of Superpredator, who is busy with moving and other life related things; he is still uncertain of his availability on 8/17.

No prob. I thought knowing what's there (like a headroom desktop maxed - someone, please?!?
tongue.gif
) might make more people interested? Either way, that's fine.

Thanks for the color translation, btw. Very helpful. Are you available for help at intersections w/traffic lights? (Just kidding, although you might want to steer clear of Mt. Airy area if possible
biggrin.gif
)

Ira

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #32 of 41
I'm not trying to take this over, I've never been to a meet before and I was just so bummed that I had to miss the NJ meet last weekend, I'd really like to see this happen and help out however I can.

Free is certainly better, and I don't want to break tradition, especially one like that. The reason I can offer a room somewhere (up to a limit) is that I can run the costs through my business, which makes it feel like monopoly money (until it's bill-paying time
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Anyway, I'm hoping to be able to make it on 8/17, and if I can do anything to help make this happen, I'd be glad to.

Ira

Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ai. All the other Philly meets have been done for free (actually not sure about the one that Superpredator hosted, but I think it was), so let's keep up the tradition.
biggrin.gif

All those places you listed are reasonable. The closer to a train the better, however.

If I can remember, I'll call Radnor High School tomorrow.

Jul 30, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by chzplz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not trying to take this over, I've never been to a meet before and I was just so bummed that I had to miss the NJ meet last weekend, I'd really like to see this happen and help out however I can.

Free is certainly better, and I don't want to break tradition, especially one like that. The reason I can offer a room somewhere (up to a limit) is that I can run the costs through my business, which makes it feel like monopoly money (until it's bill-paying time
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Anyway, I'm hoping to be able to make it on 8/17, and if I can do anything to help make this happen, I'd be glad to.

Ira

If you want to check out the availability of some specific places, that would be more than welcome. There's no guarantee I'll be able to get a room.

I called the high school today and the guy I need to talk to is on vacation and won't be back until Monday, so I may not know if we can use the room until then.

Aug 5, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #34 of 41
Bump for interest check-- how many can commit to 8/17 at this point? As stated, I'd love to see this happen, never having attended a meet and having recently missed the North Jersey meet a few weeks ago. As for my availability, it's looking pretty positive for that date.

I know some need this to happen in August before they go back to school, but it's also a tough month for others who may have travel plans and whatnot. If any can't make August but would be interested in shooting for a date in Sept or Oct, that might be worth knowing.

Ira

Aug 5, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #35 of 41
At this point, I'd say there's not enough time to do it right. Make it a mini meet, and go for a longer lead time with the details firmed up as far in advance as possible. Then push people to commit to come.

With enough warning, you can also get manufacturers to commit gear, and some to even show up.

Another thing: if you do it in a hotel space, then you're more likely to get people to stay overnight, and then the meet becomes more social and you build community more.

Aug 11, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #36 of 41
I'm sorry I haven't given an update to the thread lately.

I never got a response to my email that I sent, so I'll try calling the guy tomorrow.

If anyone else in the area can check some possible locations, that would be much appreciated.

I think this meet can still pull through as long as we get a location down fast. When the location is confirmed and agreed upon, we should send out a PM everyone who has expressed interest in the meet to get the word out.

Grawk, no one has ever stayed overnight for any of the recent Philly meets and we haven't had much industry presence at the meets except for Nankai, who's come regularly. The other Philly meets have gotten a confirmed location earlier, but if this meet goes down, it won't be much different from meets past.

Aug 13, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #37 of 41
Alright boys and girls, let's make this happen. If it makes people feel any better we can call it a "mini-meet" but whatever it is, it will be my first, so more experienced people help a brother out. I have no idea what's expected of me, what I need to do etc. But I am excited if it does happen. Please don't hate a neophyte.

Aug 14, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by quidathhaderak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright boys and girls, let's make this happen. If it makes people feel any better we can call it a "mini-meet" but whatever it is, it will be my first, so more experienced people help a brother out. I have no idea what's expected of me, what I need to do etc. But I am excited if it does happen. Please don't hate a neophyte.

No hate here, brother quidatthaderak (that was my mother's name
bigsmile_face.gif
) BUT my wife won a weekend in a shore house in ocean city in a workplace raffle so I'm out. I'm still game for either a mini-whatever another time or helping to put together a real meet in Sept or Oct.

threEchelon, what do you think about a fall meet? I'll defer to those with experience organizing these things. FWIW, I'd love to see something happen, and will help however I can.

Aug 14, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by chzplz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No hate here, brother quidatthaderak (that was my mother's name
bigsmile_face.gif
) BUT my wife won a weekend in a shore house in ocean city in a workplace raffle so I'm out. I'm still game for either a mini-whatever another time or helping to put together a real meet in Sept or Oct.

threEchelon, what do you think about a fall meet? I'll defer to those with experience organizing these things. FWIW, I'd love to see something happen, and will help however I can.

I'll be at college then, but don't let that stop you guys.
smily_headphones1.gif

I called the guy and had to leave a voice mail message and he still hasn't responded. I'll give him another call tomorrow. :p

Would anyone else be able to procure a location in time for 8/17?

Aug 16, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #40 of 41
I wasn't able to get a room for a long enough time. The school still isn't normally open on the weekends so having it open for just a couple hours was a security risk.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to procure a location in time for the meet.
frown.gif

I hope you guys are able to organize a fall meet, though. Good luck!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back